New User
dhamstra
0 Kudos

New Nook Color problems

I bought a nook color satruday night and can not get the books in my library on my laptop to my nook. I have a mac and am wondering if that is the problem. I went to the b&n website on my nook and it won't let me do it either. it says I already own the books. I know that but they are not in the library on the nook itself. I am ready to return this thing it has wasted so much of my time this weekend!! Help!I

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook Color problems

I'm confused. Did you register the nook color? Did you sync with the computer?

They should have appeared in the nookcolor library right after registration.

New User
dhamstra
0 Kudos

Yep I registered it and the books I buy right from the nook show up right away, it;s just the ones I bought on the mac that I can't get to.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Ahhh,

Option 1: do a search on the forum, I vaguely recall issues with Mac and nookcolor.

Option 2: call customer service(have a drink or twenty) before you do. Lately they're not so swift.

Correspondent
lisat96
0 Kudos

There were/possibly still are some issues with ePub on the Mac reader, so the Mac reader downloads files with a pdb extension instead of ePub.  Possibly this is your problem since the NOOKcolor doesn't support pdb.  I've read about some Mac users changing from the Nook reader software to the NOOKstudy software.  Maybe you could try downloading your books in NOOKstudy and transferring them from there.  Not being a Mac user, I can't verify this.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@dhamstra,

Can you send me via Private Message your account email, the NOOKbooks you are having issues with and a contact phone number in case we need to reach out to you...?

I want to help.

Reader
Got2bTheRedhead
0 Kudos

Yes, I'm a mac user and use Nook Study and have had no problems with my Nook Color

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

I use Mac too and have not had any trouble transferring my books to nook color. What method are you using to transfer them?
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

If BN books are downloaded to a Mac, they are in PDB rather than ePUB format.  If then sideloaded to the NC, they won't work because the format is not supported.  I haven't checked in the last few weeks, but when I did, there was no option as to format - PDB only.

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

Will Calibre (is that the name?) software be able to convert them? I know it can convert but don't know about purchased books. My guess is no.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Calibre will not attempt to convert any books with DRM, i.e. books purchased from B&N or Amazon (among others).

Contributor
JANDJNOOK2
0 Kudos

NOOK COLOR CANNOT DOWNLOAD BOOKS TO NOOK FROM ADE

NO MATTER WHAT INSTRUCTIONS (NOT YELLING, LOW VISION) WE USE, AND HAVE READ GOOD INFORMATION AND HELP FROM THIS SITE, WE CANNOT GET THE BOOKS TO LOAD FROM THE LAPTOP ADE TO OUR NOOK COLOR READERS.

WE DID REMOVE THE ADE FOLDER TO NO AVAIL.

WE DID REGISTER AND AUTHORIZE IT, THAT WENT THROUGH. 

IT SAYS TO CUT AND PASTE THE BOOK (FROM THE LIBRARY, THESE ARE ALL FROM OUR LIBRARY)

CUT AND PAST THE BOOK INTO THE NOOK ICON AND THERE WAS NO NOOK ICON

ON THE ADOBE DIGITAL PAGE SHOWING OUR LIBRARY OF BOOKS

THERE WAS AN ERROR MESSAGE, HOWEVER; IT LEAVES SO SOON CANNOT READ IT TO COPY IT DOWN OR DO A SCREEN PRINT.

THANKS SO MUCH

HAPPY NEW YEAR

JANDJ

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK COLOR CANNOT DOWNLOAD BOOKS TO NOOK FROM ADE

YOU DO HAVE THE NOOK CONNECTED TO YOUR LAPTOP WITH THE USB CABLE, DON'T YOU?   YOUR NOOK ALSO HAS TO BE "AWAKE" (NOT IN SLEEP MODE) IN ORDER FOR ADE TO KNOW IT'S THERE.   YOU SHOULD THEN SEE "MYNOOKCOLOR" AS ANOTHER BOOKSHELF IN ADE.  (IF YOU CLICK ON IT YOU SHOULD SEE ALL OF THE BOOKS THAT ARE ALREADY ON YOUR NOOK.)   IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY, YOU ALSO HAVE TO DESIGNATE YOUR NOOK AS AN AUTHORIZED DEVICE.  (CLICK ON THE "MYNOOKCOLOR" BOOKSHELF, THEN CLICK ON "LIBRARY" AT THE TOP OF THE ADE SCREEN AND SELECT "AUTHORIZE COMPUTER".  IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN ADOBE ID, YOU'LL BE PROMPTED TO SET ONE UP.)    YOU CAN THEN COPY YOUR BOOK(S) TO YOUR NC BY DRAGGING AND DROPPING THEM  ONTO THE NOOKCOLOR BOOKSHELF WHEN YOU'RE IN "LIBRARY VIEW"  AND YOUR LIBRARY BOOKS ARE DISPLAYED IN THE RIGHT WINDOW OF ADE.    

BY THE WAY, I KEEP ALL OF MY LIBRARY BOOKS IN A SINGLE DIRECTORY.  DO ALL OF YOUR LIBRARY BOOKS APPEAR ON THE RIGHT WHEN YOU OPEN ADE AND GO TO "LIBRARY VIEW" AND CLICK ON THE "ALL ITEMS" OR "BORROWED" BOOKSHELVES?   

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AS WELL  :-) 

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one (Andy Rooney)
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Just a quick tip for the visually impaired, using ALL UPPERCASE to compensate.

Just press Ctrl+ a couple times in your web browser, and the lowercase text will become large enough that's it's even easier to read than ALL CAPs.

- Mark

Contributor
crodgers16
0 Kudos

Thanks reading the past messages helped me to know what I was doing wrong with my nookcolor. Everytime I download a book that was in PDF format the volume would go out on the nookcolor. So I would have to erase and deregister my device. I was ready to take it back.

New User
shannpski
0 Kudos

We just bought a nook color brand new and the home button won't wake it up from sleep mode... is this a common problem?

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Sorry to ask: is the nookcolor charged or plugged in and charging? Is the nookcolor powered on?
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

Just a quick tip for the visually impaired, using ALL UPPERCASE to compensate.

Just press Ctrl+ a couple times in your web browser, and the lowercase text will become large enough that's it's even easier to read than ALL CAPs.

- Mark

Great tip! you can also hold down Ctrl and move your mouse wheel forward (if you have a mouse wheel) to zoom in. This works with browsers and Microsoft Office products, and some other programs.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

shannpski wrote:

We just bought a nook color brand new and the home button won't wake it up from sleep mode... is this a common problem?

It should wake up with the 'n' button if the unit is properly charged. Does it wake up if you press the ON button on the side?