Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

No Google Play for us

Just read that the Nook HD and HD+ are getting updates that will allow them to access the Google Play store, with access to over 700k apps & games. Left off of the list is the Nook Color. Like the Soup Nazi said, "No Google Play for you!" :smileysad:

Inspired Contributor
VAharleygirl
0 Kudos

Re: No Google Play for us

TYK, has anyone reached out to BN support to ask if we'll be getting it for the NC?

Some apps won't work well, due to graphics &/or processor need, but there are quite a few "simple" games & apps I'd love to add to my NC, as a backup. Plus, I'd like to give my NC to my parents, to bring them into the e-reader world!
Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Just root it with Manualnooter 5.08.20. Remember to use CWM version 3.2.0.1 and that you are at B&N version 1.4.3. If you have to update to 1.4.3, make sure the NC is registered and that you have allowed the NC to download any content (books, magazines, etc.) that it is expecting. I also suggest using the manualnooter-5.08.20.basic.zip file and Dalingrin's OC. On initial boot into your rooted NC, let the NC play itself out for several minutes, like over a pint of Guinness, before using. It has to update market to playstore, and I think index a bunch of stuff. When prompted to log into your google acct and set up the google e-mail, just follow the prompts.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Correspondent
ps56k

I happen to have the orig Nook Color given to me a couple of years ago when it came out.

The first thing I noticed was that most, if not all the apps were "toy-like".

I didn't have access to my usual mix of financial tools or other grownup apps

like on my Blackberry, it was all toys...

SO - I stumbled onto a micro SDcard called - N2A - that once inserted into the Nook Color SD slot, would allow the Nook Color to boot into full Android mode,

with all the normal Android apps... no mods to the Nook.

I've never looked back.... I use it all the time, carry it with me when out - and still like it. I even have a SDcard with Android JellyBean, but have not used it much, as they changed a bunch of stuff compared to my Android Gingerbread version.
I may re-boot into native Nook mode just to see what's new...

SO - for me, they blew it with all the toy-like apps, and nothing for a "tablet" user...

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Unless you've got a lot invested in B&N content, or use their features, there's very little reason to stick with the B&N firmware. You can root it, but you'll still be stuck in a sort of limbo between worlds.

The bootable cards work, but if you stay on the Android side anyhow, they don't gain you anything. I'd suggest just loading Cyanogenmod or your favorite alternative to internal eMMC to get maximal use of your uSD card. CM10 works well, but CM7.2 is still snappier on the aged (and it is) NC hardware. 

There's no way a NC is going to perform on par with the newer tablets available now, so keep realistic expectations. 

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

Um, I have a Kobo Vox, which has a similar processor as the NC and guess what-I have access to Google Play. Granted, I may not have access to all apps (because of the processor) but I have access to many more apps than I do on my NC. And many of them are free!
bobstro
0 Kudos

And Kobo licensed it. B&N would have to license, and presumably certify these old devices to put GPS on themselves. Yes, it would be a classy thing to do as a show of good faith, but there is more involved than just deciding to do so, as FT pointed out. ('course, I thought they should've done so back when the NC was still a current model.) Also, to fully integrate the apps instead of the half-assed results you get by rooting (I ran rooted for over a year) they'd have to redo code they have already abandoned, with different versions each for the NC and NT. 

Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

"The bootable cards work"  Well, I bought a N2A card, and it worked for about a month, and then whenever I go over to that side the android on a skateboard does his circle thing for, well, forever. It doesn't work any more, so I'm out that cost and can only make my device work on the original side, which BN isn't updating to give me Google Play.

bobstro
0 Kudos

The fact that you had a failure doesn't mean they don't work. Yours did work. Until it failed. Sure, my Ford Taurus died. That doesn't mean they didn't work. 

Personally, I think buying a preloaded card instead of just learning to do it yourself in a few minutes is pretty weak. For one thing, you don't learn how to fix them. And again, unless you're invested in B&N features, running on external media  only adds to potential problems, as you've witnessed firsthand.

Spend some time figuring out how to load alternate firmware to internal eMMC memory, and you'll find that the NC is nigh on impossible to kill through faulty software. It's not like you're still under warranty. 

Frequent Contributor
AmericanMom
0 Kudos

N2A has a fantastic Customer support team.  If you are having trouble with your card, reach out to them and they will make it right.  

New User
Jag2013

I have contacted B&N support with this complaint of not having access to Google Play and have requested them to again approach management since NC customers should not be left out....

I expect most would move to a different product in the future and it would not be B&N!!!!!

bobstro

I'm sure they'll give your suggestion all the consideration it merits.

Frequent Contributor
AmericanMom

It's really too bad that they are doing this now.  I was looking to buy a tablet for my mom for Christmas this past year.  I weighed cost, ease of use and prominent features and honestly, Nook would have been the winner if it weren't for the lousy app store.  I went with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 which she loves.  She has a Nook with Glow Light so I simply downloaded the Nook app to her tablet.  Now she has the best of both worlds.  Nook was taking themselves out of the game, even with loyal Customers, because of that single (but very notable) flaw. I don't know if it's too late (early adopters of Nook Color and Nook Tablet are already feeling shunned) but I hope this move helps put them back on track.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AmericanMom wrote:

It's really too bad that they are doing this now.  I was looking to buy a tablet for my mom for Christmas this past year.  I weighed cost, ease of use and prominent features and honestly, Nook would have been the winner if it weren't for the lousy app store.  I went with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 which she loves.

The important thing is that your mom loves the device she has. B&N still wins if she has the NOOK app loaded, so all's not lost. B&N just needs to work to encourage and keep her future business.

Which SGT did you get her?

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yep haven't updated device. My Nook color with roll yer own CM7 card. And Have google play. The biggie for me is not having Credit Card for purchases. With Google Play you can buy gift cards and they work without the need of a CC just like iTunes.

Now been running about 17 months problem free with dual boot CM7 and 99.999% of the time in CM side.

So the bring Google Play to Nook color is of a lesser importance. And would have been major shot in the arm if they did it 6-8 months ago.

And to those that for whatever reason their cards stopped working. There are avenues to resolve the issues and get you back using CM android. So don't get the now useless reference.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
PE55
0 Kudos

Was wondering myself about the N2A card and your post sealed if for me.
New User
Mrspburke
0 Kudos

I am so disappointed in Barnes & Noble for the lack of support for the Nook Color.  It is like a waste of money.  I will never and I repeat never;  purchase another Nook device again.  I really hope the Corporate Office reads these posts.  I purchased this device to read my books, browse the web, my email and purchase a few apps.  But most of the apps are extremely costly.  I use my Galaxy Note 2 to read my eBooks & order apps from the Google Playstore and also the Amazon Appstore. : )

I would love to ROOT my Nook Color but I have no clue as to what to do.  : (

jlhatch wrote:

Just read that the Nook HD and HD+ are getting updates that will allow them to access the Google Play store, with access to over 700k apps & games. Left off of the list is the Nook Color. Like the Soup Nazi said, "No Google Play for you!" :smileysad:

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mrspburke wrote:   I would love to ROOT my Nook Color
but I have no clue as to what to do.  : (

checkout the N2A micro-SD Card -
you just insert it into the slot on the Nook Color, and it will then boot directly into full Android mode using the uSD Card for all data, software, etc .... no mods to the native NC -

Reader
evadderf
0 Kudos

I've also contacted B&N customer support about this travesty. I plan on bringing my NC on a European vacation next month and was hoping to use a free app to view train schedules, but nope - only available from Google Play.

Doesn't B&N realize that by shutting out Google Play, our only alternative for Android apps is ... Amazon? It seems like a poor marketing strategy for B&N to be driving us to their competitor to see what a tablet can do.