DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,321
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Twist of fate

DeanGibson wrote:...  I bought the second A500 used, because I perceived that they were going out of stock and I wanted a backup. ...

In a strange twist of fate, my 1st Acer A500 appears to have suffered a fatal heart attack (irrevocably locked up while idle), so I'm on the backup A500, and in a leisurely search for a new 10"-ish tablet.  I'm going to check out the Samsung line, but will wait for the Father's Day sales (and perhaps announcements) in any case.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Twist of fate

[ Edited ]

Samsung is doing a refresh on the 7 inch Galaxy Tabs, though I've heard mixed things. I suspect a refresh on the 10 inch models is just around the corner. The current SGT 2 10.1 is getting to be very cheap ($329).

I recently popped for the Galaxy Note 10.1 for the pressure-sensitive stylus and the long-repressed artist in me loves it. I loved taking handwritten notes on it, though sadly I'm back to soft keyboard entry for business use. The screen resolution is lacking on paper, but in practice, it's a pleasure to view. If they release an updated SGT 10.1, it's definitely worth checking out. I'm eyeing them since my wife is interested in a tablet.

FWIW: Using Calibre with MTP works very well with both the SGT 2 7.0 and SG Note 10.1 with the latest firmware of each. One old complaint has fallen off my list. I'd expect Calibre to be updated for new models fairly quickly.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

... The current SGT 2 10.1 is getting to be very cheap ($329).

$309 @ Costco today.

bobstro
0 Kudos

So... what did you end up buying, Dean?

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Fate is the shopper

[ Edited ]

Ah ain't buy'n nott'n at deese prices.  Mebbe when da prices on da HD+ drops.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I find myself grumbling at some of the tablet prices...

Then I remember trying to scrounge up something like $500 for my Palm Tungsten T.

I hate to remember what I paid for my Atari Portfolio.

And man, did I ever want a Poquet PC.

You should take some comfort knowing that your money today is worth a fraction of what it was then. Think of all the money you're saving! Spend it before it's worth nothing!

(This message brought to you by Samsung.)

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

I remember purchasing the 32k memory expansion for my TI-99/4a computer.....

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

Re: No Google Play for us

5ivedom wrote:

I don't understand this:  No update to give us google play then the 3 of us will become kindle users. 

I understand this: Shifting to Samsung.

If you don't like B&N not adding Google Play Store to Nook Color, why would you shift to Kindle which doesn't have Google Play Store?

Shouldn't it be a shift to Samsung or Google Nexus 7?

The Kindle thing was really more for B&N than anything, just a way to state that we would be leaving for a competitor that is hurting them.  In all honesty I would go with Samsung also!

keriflur
0 Kudos

KD67 wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

I don't understand this:  No update to give us google play then the 3 of us will become kindle users. 

I understand this: Shifting to Samsung.

If you don't like B&N not adding Google Play Store to Nook Color, why would you shift to Kindle which doesn't have Google Play Store?

Shouldn't it be a shift to Samsung or Google Nexus 7?

The Kindle thing was really more for B&N than anything, just a way to state that we would be leaving for a competitor that is hurting them.  In all honesty I would go with Samsung also!

So then say Samsung.  It doesn't hurt B&N more if you buy a kindle rather than a Samsung tablet.  It certainly doesn't hurt them if you say "I'm buying a kindle", it just drives the forum members crazy  because we're the only one's reading these posts (NOT B&N management), and we see the same unimaginative proclamations over and over.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KD67 wrote:

You guys are lucky that there are so many options for the NC. You can root it. You can load a variety of alternate firmware. Most times, after a device is out of production for a couple of years, you're pretty much stuck. I just updated my NC with Cyanogenmod 10.1. While it's slow (it's old hardware), it does work well enough to run a few core apps out of GoPS while still functioning as an ereader. If I wanted it snappier, I could load Cyanogenmod 7.2. You have to realize, though, that with the limited memory and CPU on a NC, it's not going to be transformed into anything near what a modern tablet is. It works, but it's slow. Two years ago, it could handle most apps, but today it is definitely showing its age.

KD67, look at it from B&N's perspective: With that "threat", all you're really saying is that you're looking to upgrade to a new device soon. That doesn't really light a fire under B&N to address anything, since their current devices do provide GoPS access.

If you're looking to upgrade and aren't happy with B&N, that's a different question. Whether or not the current HD/+ line is worth it really depends on how much time you spend in the B&N ecosystem and the price you can find. 

These days, if you want a general purpose tablet, buy a general purpose tablet. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is about $180. It has a different set of positives and negatives than the HD, but is a nice little tablet with full GoPS access. I've even heard good(ish) things about some of the Chinese generic tablets that Walmart sells. Load the B&N NOOK app on one of those, and you can get most of your B&N book content on it as well, and get reasonable performance.

I think it would be very classy of B&N to do something, but I won't whine at them about my 2 year old device. It would be appropriate to do something for the NOOK Tablet crowd, since their devices are far more recent, but again, I don't expect it. B&N has recognized the shortcomings of their strategy, and addressed it in their current devices. That's about all you can hope for these days.

Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

Then quit reading them and you will no longer be getting annoyed! The fact is that the NC will run the GoPS without a problem, I know this because I have one NC that is rooted and it will run every single app I have tried on it. But I don't like it being rooted and it shouldn't have to be. B&N have already licensed GoPS for their other devices so getting it for the NC also should not be a problem. If people simply don't say anything then B&N will not know how their customers feel. If they have no problem losing 1 or 1000 customers then they have no business being in business. When my NC's quit working I will be moving on to something like a Samsung!
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KD67 wrote:
Then quit reading them and you will no longer be getting annoyed!

No, it will still be the same annoying, petulant whine. If you came here to whine, don't expect sympathy. You are whining.

The fact is that the NC will run the GoPS without a problem, I know this because I have one NC that is rooted

So you actually have GoPS, know how to get it and you're still whining? What exactly is your complaint?

and it will run every single app I have tried on it. But I don't like it being rooted and it shouldn't have to be.

Why not? Everything still functions just as if it weren't rooted. What is the most compelling reason you have for not liking it rooted?

B&N have already licensed GoPS for their other devices so getting it for the NC also should not be a problem.

Except for the effort required to actually get the NC approved by Google and all that. B&N can't just unilaterally decide to put GoPS on.

If people simply don't say anything then B&N will not know how their customers feel.

Believe me, we said plenty back (way back) when the NC was a current device. If you weren't around then, when B&N might have paid attention, don't expect a heroes welcome now.

If they have no problem losing 1 or 1000 customers then they have no business being in business. When my NC's quit working I will be moving on to something like a Samsung!

They haven't "lost" anything. You're not buying a new product. Their new product has GoPS. The cost and effort of adding GoPS to a 2 year old, single core device won't be offset by your ambiguous promise of maybe buying another NOOK later. It will incur a batch of complaints (see the HD/+ threads) when people realize the NC can't run apps like a modern quad-core tablet with 1 GB RAM and show themselves to have the same sense of entitlement that you have.

If you bought their new product, you'd have GoPS just like any other (except Amazon's). I personally don't care what you buy. I moved on to other brands myself long ago for daily use. Everybody's already said that it would be nice of B&N to add GoPS to obsolete devices, but highly unlikely. They're certainly under no obligation to do so. It's your petulant whining that is so annoying. Your toy got old. Deal with it.

Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

Sounds to me like "you" are the one whining! I have been around since the original Nook so I will say what I wish whether you like it or not. You apparently like to "whine" about the people that you think are whining! and I don't like it rooted simply because I shouldn't have to resort to that, and it is just good business practice to keep your current customers happy especially when the company is already having problems. And the off chance that they could lose those customers in the future should be enough for them to take care of this issue. Those of us with a NC would like to have GoPS also so why don't you deal with it, yes NC is a couple years old so what. If you don't like to hear our legitimate concerns and complaints then quit reading them and move along.
keriflur
0 Kudos

KD67 wrote:
Then quit reading them and you will no longer be getting annoyed!

Well fine then, you want to go there?  QUIT POSTING AND THEN YOU WON'T BE ANNOYED.

There are people who come to these forums for actual help, not just to whine and cry and stomp their feet like toddlers.  Those are the people I read posts for, and some of them actually start with an angry post and that changes when they realize that forum members actually can help them, actually have darn good suggestions (the suggestions that YOU are choosing to ignore so that you can cry some more).  I'm not going to stop coming to the forums just because some people are too dense to realize they're not entitled to anything except the product they originally paid for.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

Channeling Jeff Foxworthy...

You might be a whiner if...

1. You actually have GoPS on your NC, but just don't like that icky feeling of having rooted. 
  2. You have multiple options for running alternate firmware to greatly enhance your device beyond what it originally could do, but for whatever reason, don't want to. 
  3. You feel you "shouldn't" have to do anything to add functionality that was never promised to a device now two generations out of production. (Based on what, pray tell?) 
  4. The current generation of product offers the GoPS functionality which your future purchase of a new product is contingent upon, but you won't buy it because they won't add that functionality to the device that you'd be replacing with the new device. 
  5. You've been around long enough to know that this is a user forum, and that B&N has a history of not paying attention to legitimate complaints here. You can actually do what you want, but choose not to. You aren't looking for any actual help. You just want us to know you're grumpy. 

Have I missed anything? 

This is like a Monty Python sketch gone bad.

Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

LMAO.......That was funny! Well done, I always did like Foxworthy!
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Supermarket tantrums

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

Have I missed anything? 

Yes:  My mommy won't buy me ice cream, so I'm going to lie on my back in the aisle, kick my feet up in the air, and scream.

Next thing you know, someone will complain that B&N won't give them a trade-in on their two-year old device, so that they can buy the newest thing.  Oh wait, I think we've see a lot of that as well.

Unlike a car, Nooks don't seem to wear out, and rarely do their batteries, if treated right.  Perhaps the OP would be happier if his Nook Color only lasted as long (1.5 years) as my Acer A500 tablet did.  Come to think of it, I think most 1st Edition Nooks are still working as well.  Where is planned obsolescence when we need it?

The OP hopes that B&N management will read his rant.  He should hope instead that Amazon and Samsung management don't read his rant.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KD67 wrote:
LMAO.......That was funny! Well done, I always did like Foxworthy!

You're going to be OK, KD67. Acceptance is the 1st step to recovery. :smileyhappy:

Knowing how the fates work, B&N will provide GoPS access on the NC, and you'll promptly drop yours, destroying it and have to buy a new device.

Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

LOL....Funny! I protect all my electronics like a hawk. I have been collecting video game systems since the days of pong and get very upset if someone mistreats them....aka my 20 year old son! It would be very nice if B&N would update the NC since it will run the software, but I don't plan on buying a newer system just for that functionality! When the batteries die on our NC's I just don't know, we will have to wait and see what B&N are doing at the time. Between the 3 of us "wife, son and I" we have hundreds of books that we have purchased. Good Day to you!
bobstro
0 Kudos

KD67 wrote:
LOL....Funny! I protect all my electronics like a hawk. I have been collecting video game systems since the days of pong and get very upset if someone mistreats them....aka my 20 year old son!

As you might have noticed above, I've long had a thing for electronics. One of my faves is a 4 function fixed decimal Commodore calculator my mom bought me in 1976 or thereabouts. I was trying to collect calculators, but lost entusiasm.

I do have a boxed ZX81 kit, as well as an assembled one. It's fun to look at the old gizmos now and then. A favorite moment was when my son brought a somewhat snobbish schoolmate over to work on a paper one day. He laid eyes on my old Apple ][+ that I have set up in my basement office and immediately groaned. (He shut up when he turned the corner.)

It would be very nice if B&N would update the NC since it will run the software, but I don't plan on buying a newer system just for that functionality! When the batteries die on our NC's I just don't know, we will have to wait and see what B&N are doing at the time. Between the 3 of us "wife, son and I" we have hundreds of books that we have purchased. 

The main decision point for me is being able to avoid technical obsolescence. I didn't want to get into ebooks until I was sure I could do so without being dependent on any one manufacturer. Calibre+DRM stripping apparently fixes that for some people that someone I know may know, so I'm comfortable there EVEN THOUGH I'D NEVER EVER DO IT MYSELF *DMCA* *koff*.

I only picked up a NC after I knew I could load other firmware on it. The good news is that the NC is still supported by a very active developer community, although that won't last forever. Still, I've got lots of options so long as the ol' battery works. More than for my Sharp Zaurus I paid... oh, never mind. :smileyhappy:

Good Day to you!

You too, KD67.