Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Re: Twist of fate

Oh man, Bluepen61....memories....I swear I purchased every hardware add-on for that sucker. I don't even want to think about the amount of money I spent. I only used it for a few years until the ill-fated IBM PC-Jr came along and I spent wasted additional money on that thing. Sometime in the mid '90's I gave all my TI-99/4a stuff to a friend at work who had a basic TI-99/4a and was interested in teaching his son some computer and programming skills. Can't remember what I did with the PC-Jr.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Re: No Google Play for us

Bobstro wrote:

More than for my Sharp Zaurus I paid... oh, never mind.

Hey, I still have 3 functional Zauri - 1 5700 and 2 5800s's. They were my first PDAs. Just tested them recently (needed new batteries) in the process of going through my old stuff while packing for moving. I even dug up an old laptop that allowed me to install some of the software. After spending several hours in memory lane, I packed them up and moved them with me.  Who knows, if my Nexus 4, Acer F900 and Jornada all fail, a guy needs to have some kind of PDA, right?

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,314
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Money? What's money?

petesnook wrote:

... I don't even want to think about the amount of money I spent. ...

Prices have not been adjusted for inflation...

1. TI-58 handheld calculator, with the little motor to read/write the magnetic programming strips ... $200 ish, I think.
  2. Heathkit H-89 in 1980.  I don't remember the price, but I do remember that a 16KB memory upgrade was $75, so I upgraded the original 16KB to 48KB ($150).  Floppies held only 100KB, until I released a software update to support 80-track, double-sided drives (400KB, wow!).  Yes, you could write installable device drivers for the OS:  HDOS (Heathkit Disk Operating System).  The driver was wildly popular, and I donated it to HUG (Heath User's Group).
  3. For the above, the aftermarket hard drive controller was $500.  The 5MB drive was even more.  I was in heaven!
  4. Fast forward past a lot of money in that decade to 1991:  $11K for an IBM PS/2 w/ 8MB RAM and 430MB SCSI drive.  Smoked nearly everything else on the planet at the time, and ran OS/2 (and later, Windows NT).  Fifteen years later, when I finally junked it, the original clock battery was still keeping time.

I didn't buy a new computer for the Y2K panic. 95% of all computers replaced in preparation for the potential end of the civilized world did not need to be replaced (like the University of Washington did with every Windows computer) to be Y2K compliant;  they only needed to be rebooted.  Ah, well, it was money well spent.

So, back to the subject at hand:  It's terribly unfair that I "have" to buy a new tablet (for $200, wow) because my old Nook Color "won't do" what it used to.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

KD67 wrote:
LOL....Funny! I protect all my electronics like a hawk. I have been collecting video game systems since the days of pong and get very upset if someone mistreats them....aka my 20 year old son! It would be very nice if B&N would update the NC since it will run the software, but I don't plan on buying a newer system just for that functionality! When the batteries die on our NC's I just don't know, we will have to wait and see what B&N are doing at the time. Between the 3 of us "wife, son and I" we have hundreds of books that we have purchased. Good Day to you!

So I guess there was a clearance sale on exclamation points and ellipses today.  Kinda glad I missed it.

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61

For wine, I prefer a Merlot.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:

Really cool to hear all the stories.

When I was in school we had computer labs from 3rd grade/4th grade. It was amazing to use 5.4" floppies and do stuff on the computers.

If someone had told me about SSDs then I'd have been dumstruck. Quite literally.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,314
Solutions: 18

Re: Fate is the shopper

bobstro wrote:

So... what did you end up buying, Dean?

DeanGibson wrote:

Ah ain't buy'n nott'n at deese prices.  Mebbe when da prices on da HD+ drops.

See ma sign'tur.  All Nook HD/+ covers are $25 this week at da stores.  Ah'm almos' tempted to buy two.  Mebbe save one as a gift for Christmas ... No, ther'll be more sales between now and then ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Fate is the shopper

[ Edited ]
In a fit of impulse buying, I bought a Hisense Sero Pro at WallyMart in Las Vegas. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-Sero-7-Pro-7-Tablet-Quad-Core-Processor-with-8GB-Memory-M470BSA/25... I have no need of one, but I was accompanying a new colleague who was buying his first Android device as a long time Apple aficionado. I am surprised to find that it's a very nice and fast little tablet, even though I had to track down a manager to actually sell me one. My only complaint is that battery life is a bit short. It eats about 15% per hour under load. It carries a full sensor package, including haptic feedback, dual cameras and 5 point multitouch on very clean Android 4.2.1. The few preloaded Walmart apps uninstalled with no fuss. That's what I'm going to point all the huffy "I'm buying a Kindle!" people to from now on.