Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Re: No Google Play for us

Read my reply (#4 above). Just root it with Manualnooter, apply Dalingrin's OC and you should be good to go with Google Play.

evadderf wrote:
I've also contacted B&N customer support about this travesty. I plan on bringing my NC on a European vacation next month and was hoping to use a free app to view train schedules, but nope - only available from Google Play.

Doesn't B&N realize that by shutting out Google Play, our only alternative for Android apps is ... Amazon? It seems like a poor marketing strategy for B&N to be driving us to their competitor to see what a tablet can do.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

evadderf wrote:
I've also contacted B&N customer support about this travesty. I plan on bringing my NC on a European vacation next month and was hoping to use a free app to view train schedules, but nope - only available from Google Play.

Doesn't B&N realize that by shutting out Google Play, our only alternative for Android apps is ... Amazon? It seems like a poor marketing strategy for B&N to be driving us to their competitor to see what a tablet can do.

Those train schedules are probably available through a web browser. You could always find them and downlad them in advance (so youre not dependent on wifi)

Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

If Barnes and Noble does not give Nook Color an update to allow Google Play then they will be losing not 1 but 3 customers.  With 3 Nook Colors in our house and the fact that all 3 of us buy tons of books that is just money that they will be losing.  If the NC does not get the google play update then this is 3 customers that they will lose.  Forever!  Don't tell me to root, and yes I know how!  I should not have to root to get the same funtionality that others have.  No update to give us google play then the 3 of us will become kindle users.  Period!

New User
Townwgn
0 Kudos

My NC is giving me problems (see my post on Music Player and reader not always working) and I am considering upgrading to another type of 7-8 in tablet. 

If my NC had the ability to run Google Play with out having to resort to hacks to make it work I would be much more inclined to to stay with B&N.  With our it I am probably going to purchase a Samsung 8.0 Note.  I believe there is much more support for Google/Android products available and a much more modern product.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

I don't understand this:  No update to give us google play then the 3 of us will become kindle users. 

I understand this: Shifting to Samsung.

If you don't like B&N not adding Google Play Store to Nook Color, why would you shift to Kindle which doesn't have Google Play Store?

Shouldn't it be a shift to Samsung or Google Nexus 7?

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Read my reply (#4 above). Just root it with Manualnooter, apply Dalingrin's OC and you should be good to go with Google Play.

Reader
evadderf
0 Kudos

Sure, rooting my NC is an option, but after a couple of years it would be a bit of an effort to archive everything, wipe the slate and lose the Nook apps I already own, etc. So far I've been using the dual boot off the SD slot with good results, which means I've been grabbing my android apps from Amazon. As I've said, it seems pretty crazy for B&N's policy to force me to use Amazon to get Android apps (and in this case the one I want isn't even available there).

Bluepen61 wrote:

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Your B&N  programs, books, etc should already be preserved on the B&N servers. Your data, if you are prudent, should be on your uSD card. And yes, possibly some data may be on the emmc. NoteEverything is one example. Should only require a Titanium Backup backup, which you should be doing weekly.

If you are at 1.4.3, installing Manualnooter should not change your B&N setup. It only adds root capabilities, and some additional Android/Google apps and you should be good to go with Google Play.

Dual boot off of uSD sounds good in theory, but it add complications with handling your data. The better scheme is to dual boot off of emmc, which leaves your uSD card available for data. Data which can be shared most of the time with either Android OS.

In the rare case that your OS crashes, chances are that your data is safe and sound on your uSD card.

That has been my experience. And a very pleasant and rewarding experience with my NookColor. I have B&N in my alternate partitions and CM10 on primary partitions on emmc. Data is almost entirely on uSD along with my Titanium backups.

And why use Amazon anyway, except for their freeby apps from time to time.  B&N still has the best book content and reader format.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

[ Edited ]

evadderf wrote:

[...] As I've said, it seems pretty crazy for B&N's policy to force me to use Amazon to get Android apps (and in this case the one I want isn't even available there).

I don't follow you thinking here. Google is no more B&N's friend than Amazon. Getting apps from Google is no more difficult than getting apps from Amazon once you've rooted your device successfully. If you're installing apps from Amazon, why can't you install apps from Google? I never had issues on my rooted NCs.

This stomping out the door because they won't update your 2 year old device is silly. The NC didn't have GoPS on day one. It still doesn't. Nothing has changed. Buying a Kindle to spite B&N makes even less sense. If you want a full multi-function tablet with support for Google Play access, buy one! There are plenty of cost-competitive competitors, but not from Amazon.

Unless you've got a lot invested in B&N features, if you just want to read books occasionally, buy a tablet and put a decent ebook reader app on it. You can still read books and most magazines from B&N (and others). 

The NC still works fine as a basic reader. If you want a more general purpose tablet, albeit an old and slow one, put Cyanogenmod on it. You have plenty of choices.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18

bobstro wrote:....

This stomping out the door because they won't update your 2 year old device is silly. The NC didn't have GoPS on day one. It still doesn't. Nothing has changed. Buying a Kindle to spite B&N makes even less sense....

1. The Nook Color didn't even have an app store for the first six months.

2. Despite historical stodginess, recently B&N appears to be making significant firmware updates to all of the Nook devices still sold.  B&N is in the business of making money, and frankly, if someone wants Google Play on an unrooted Nook, B&N offers a pretty economical solution (especially with recent sales).

3. If the OP (and friends) want to deride B&N for lack of updates, consider the Kindle DX, which did not have a software update for the last two years of its market life.  Users were rooting the DX in order to get more fonts and custom screensavers.  Yep, Amazon is the place to go for devices with frequent updates ...

4. It isn't B&N's fault that a third-party bootable OS "no longer works".  Unless the SD card has gone bad, it isn't even the third party's fault.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

It's quite strange to see people go the route of

Add Google Play Store or we'll buy a Kindle.

Are they not aware Kindle Fire doesn't have Google Play?

Have also seen people say strange things like 'Kindle Fire is open'.

Finally, why is it that for every 10 people who claim to be leaving or threaten to leave, only 2 say iPad or Android Tablets like Samsung yet 8 say Kindle Fire?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

I love my NookColor! Use it everyday, recharge it every night. No worries!

bobstro
0 Kudos

Bluepen, I'm curious about this nightie you bought for your NC. 

Reader
evadderf
0 Kudos

1) I haven't claimed that I'm jumping ship. I'm just attempting to voice my disappointment that while newer B&N products are getting added features, ours is apparently orphaned. It raises a concern over what would happen when I do decide to upgrade. I probably would not opt for a Kindle, but there are several other Android tablets available.

2) I understand I can root my NC. I'd prefer not to. The vast majority of the time I use it in the stock configuration and am quite happy with it. I'm usually only using Android apps when I'm travelling, so I just boot off the SD slot when I need to. So far it's worked well for me.

3) The difference between the Amazon Android shop and Google Play! is that Amazon works with a generic Android device while Google Play needs to recognize your tablet. Most apps are available in both places, but occasionally an app is only available through Google. This is the situation I find myself in - a quite useful free app (train schedule and ticketing in a foreign country) is available only through Google, but I'm currently locked out. I don't have an international smart phone, and the web interface doesn't work well with the Nook's browsers (tried stock and Dolphin so far).

4) I admit It's only a small problem, but it's a very annoying one. Especially since there's a solution, but it's only made available to other customers.

bobstro

I'm still bummed that they won't upgrade my 2 year old car to include bluetooth. I paid a bit more for it than my NC. 

As the saying goes: "... And people in hell want ice water." 

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

2) I understand I can root my NC. I'd prefer not to. The vast majority of the time I use it in the stock configuration and am quite happy with it. I'm usually only using Android apps when I'm travelling, so I just boot off the SD slot when I need to. So far it's worked well for me.

I get the impression that don't understand rooting with Manualnooter. It only adds to your stock configuration. It is not an entirely new operating system like CM 7 or CM 10. Specifically it adds these apps and features:

1. Permanently Enable ADB via uRamdisk
  2. Installs adbWireless
  3. Installs su and Superuser.apk
  4. Installs Busybox
  5. Installs Softkeys
  6. Installs Zeam Launcher
  7. Installs B&N HomeLauncher
  8. Installs HomeCatcher
  9. Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
  10. Installs Live Wallpapers
  11. Installs Custom Boot Animation
  12. Fix to Allow update to Adobe Flash and Air

Also, by installing Dalingrin's OC, you can clock up your NC and make it much faster than stock, oh, but it is stock. Not a different OS. Maybe MN should have been call Rooted B&N Stock.

I rooted my NC because B&N programmed out the Android calendar feature. With Touch Calendar, I have my Google calendar which is shared with my Outlook calendar.

Concerning my dual boot, I have CM 10 because the B&N e-mail sucks with my Hotmail acct. Otherwise, CM 10 is slower and the B&N android Nook App is slow but I like the page turns.

And then there is the game F18 Carrier Landing. An awesome game that runs on both! I don't think it is available on the Nook App Store.

And my MN has worked flawlessly since B&N's 1.4.3 update. How long has that been? Many, many months.

Hint, when you do root, use only SanDisk uSD cards and CWM version 3.2.0.1

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

It is quite apparent that B&N wants all NC owners to buy the more expensive HD tablet. First they stopped updating it. Then they added movies and tv shows, but only for the more expensive tablets. Then they add google play, but only for the more expensive tablets. Well guess what B&N, it's not going to happen. The next tablet I buy will be an iPad mini. I have had very few problems with Apple products I have bought and the few I did were handled excellently by Apple support. I have had several problems with the NC and B&N's support is terrible. So goodbye NC hello ipad mini!
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18

The color of grass ...

[ Edited ]

... on the other side of the fence, that is:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesop%27s_Fables

In addition to a Nook Color, I own two Acer Iconia A500 tablets, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (WiFi), and a Motorola Droid phone:

1. The Nook Color received numerous updates during its market life, from version 1.1 up through 1.4.3.  The last several updates were in parallel with the Nook Tablet, which superceded it.
  2. The Acer A500 (released a year after the Nook Color) received numerous updates (from v3.0 to v4.0.3) in the first year of its market life, but no updates for the last year.  I will be astounded if Acer releases an update for it.
  3. A month after I bought the Galaxy Tab (v4.1.1), Samsung released v4.1.2 for the cellular carrier versions.  WiFi-only owners (like me) are still waiting for the update ...
  4. The 3.5-year-old Motorola Droid phone has not received an update for two years, but hey, it still makes phone calls, browses the web, and sends/receives eMails.

I bought all my Android devices because they are tools that I use, not pretty bangles that I drool over.  I bought the second A500 (and I used to own two Nook Colors) used, because I perceived that they were going out of stock and I wanted a backup.  I knew there wouldn't be any updates.  I bought it for what it did, not for what it might do.

evadderf wrote:

... my disappointment that while newer B&N products are getting added features, ours is apparently orphaned...

All currently sold B&N products are getting added features.  Manufacturers add features in order to increase sales.  What am I missing?

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
bobstro

[ Edited ]

I hate to be the one to break it to you,  but Apple also wants you to buy a new device every couple of years. Notice how Siri originally ran on all iPhones (and others) until Apple acquired it and required an iPhone 4s or better? 

Hey, buy the device you prefer, but please lighten up with the tortured logic and hurt feelings. All corporations selling products want profit. B&N is hardly unique. 

keriflur

5ivedom wrote:

It's quite strange to see people go the route of

Add Google Play Store or we'll buy a Kindle.

Are they not aware Kindle Fire doesn't have Google Play?

Have also seen people say strange things like 'Kindle Fire is open'.

Finally, why is it that for every 10 people who claim to be leaving or threaten to leave, only 2 say iPad or Android Tablets like Samsung yet 8 say Kindle Fire?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

It should, but coming to that conclusion requires thought, analysis, and careful consideration of facts.  Most of what I see going on is emotional, not analytical, and when people are thinking with their hurt feelings rather than their brains they come to all kinds of conclusions.