Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: No Google Play for us

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

I hate to be the one to break it to you,  but Apple also wants you to buy a new device every couple of years. Notice how Siri originally ran on all iPhones (and others) until Apple acquired it and required an iPhone 4s or better? 

Hey, buy the device you prefer, but please lighten up with the tortured logic and hurt feelings. All corporations selling products want profit. B&N is hardly unique. 

*nods*

Apple updates for the term of most mobile phone contracts - two years.  In their opinion, if a device is more than two years old, then you should be buying a new device.

And for anyone wanting Play, you're still not going to get it from Apple, which means repurchasing all your apps.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Deja vu, all over again

keriflur wrote:

It should, but coming to that conclusion requires thought, analysis, and careful consideration of facts.  Most of what I see going on is emotional, not analytical, and when people are thinking with their hurt feelings rather than their brains they come to all kinds of conclusions.

Isn't this the source of most of the poor decisions made on the planet?

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Deja vu, all over again

What do you mean "the planet?"

(getting defensive)

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Re: Deja vu, all over again

I hear that other planets don't have these issues.  Or at least any more.

Reader
evadderf
0 Kudos

Gee, tough crowd here. Isn't this the forum for expressing support concerns regarding the Nook Color? After owning my NC for over two years I finally had a concern. I expressed it.

I understand that the product is obsolete and no longer being sold. I also understand that most companies cease supporting a product after a short while. But there are the rare companies that offer exemplary customer service and offer a belated software update or two (I received an update for a dSLR once two years after it had been replaced). I was hoping that B&N might be one of those companies; they still might be. Perhaps there was an unofficial workaround (they've always been nudge-nudge wink-wink about running Android on the NC).

Other than some useful suggestions from Bluepen, though, I seem to be greeted with a litany of sophomoric responses demeaning anyone with the audacity to ask about a feature. Have I asked in the wrong place, or in the wrong manner? Somehow I must have touched a inflamed nerve among the regulars. If I have, please pardon me.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

evadderf wrote:
I've also contacted B&N customer support about this travesty.

That's a bit more than "expressing your concern".

keriflur
0 Kudos

evadderf wrote:

I understand that the product is obsolete and no longer being sold. I also understand that most companies cease supporting a product after a short while. But there are the rare companies that offer exemplary customer service and offer a belated software update or two (I received an update for a dSLR once two years after it had been replaced).

Name one company making tablet-type devices that provides updates to devices that released two-and-a-half years ago, that reached EOL a year ago.

Or heck, name one company making tablet-type devices that provides non-OS updates on devices not running one of the latest two underlying OSes.

When you compare B&N to Canon, you're comparing bananas and oranges.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Name one company making tablet-type devices that provides updates to devices that released two-and-a-half years ago, that reached EOL a year ago.

Or heck, name one company making tablet-type devices that provides non-OS updates on devices not running one of the latest two underlying OSes.

I must admit, Acer keeps updating the "Acer Life Digital Clock", "Acer Life Weather", and the "AcerNidus - Bug Report Service" apps every few months ...

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

This is a question: Could the original partitioning of the NC's play a factor in not trying to put GP on these devices as well?

Until the app store opened, there was what, 1G set aside for apps? That wasnt enough room for some users and B&N came up with the solution that you could bring the device into the store and get it repartitioned.  They changed the partitioning at a certain point for new devices, but had already sold quite a few (and dont forget the devices sitting on the shelf with the old partintioning.)  Just seems to me that's another obstacle as well.  

bobstro

[ Edited ]

Concerns about partitioning could be a factor, but I suspect it's more a question of resources. There would be some coding on an old code base required. The NC runs Android 2.2 Foyo as I recall. There are also licensing issues. B&N can't just plop GoPS on without Google approval. There are costs involved. The NC is now 2 generations behind, and B&N has to weigh the costs versus benefits. They've been pretty good about updates, but these are old and slow devices. Does the flurry of complaints from these same overly entitled owners (it's too slow!) get offset by any gain for B&N. 

Don't get me wrong. It would be awesome of B&N to do this. I've long said that lack of GoPS or at least options for apps was a mistake. B&N's decision to provide it on their flagship product bears that out. The problem is simply that were running an old, single core device that is not going to perform well with a lot to of apps. I don't recall if the NC even sports a gig of RAM or not.

The truth 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Happen to agree with you, on well, everything. (For some reason, think the processor on the NC was half that of the NT, but dont have mine anymore so dont know for sure.) Guess was just thinking the partition sizing was just another thing that had to be considered.  Can think of 6 NC's still being used by extended family, 3 purchased before there was even talk of an app store. While they like some of the apps that have been already made available (Netflix and such), they bought them to read. Seriously, they have no intention of upgrading or replacing them until the battery dies. All 6 of them.  So while some people would like GP added, some people dont care at all.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

I don't really care if I have Google Play or not-what I care about is having a tablet that has access to tons of apps (Apple yes Nook no), ability to read books from almost any seller (Apple yes Nook no), accessability for visually impaired (Apple yes Nook no), ability to put music on it (Apple yes NC yes but not easily) and ability to download videos (Apple yes NC no).  I already had an ipod when I bought my NC.  Almost anything you download for an ipod from itunes (which includes and cds you add to itunes) you can download to an ipad.  Which means I wouldn't have to spend a ton of money to add stuff to an ipad (especially since many Apple apps are free and those that aren't are usually less expensive than the NC versions).  Plus there is also the fact that Apple products are for the most part more durable than NCs.  And you get more than 2 years of upgrades.  My ipod is 2nd gen and only the last upgrade was not available to me (the ipod was made more than 2 years ago).  Had the ipad mini become available at the same time as the NC, I would have bought it rather than the NC.  You can brownnose B&N all you want-I have found Apple to be much more reliable and have much better customer service than B&N!

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Irishelf,

There is no perfect device. There is no perfect app store. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

The best you can do is assess the options available to you at the time of purchase and pick the device/store that will meet the MOST of your needs. The NC has been out for over 2 years, the ipad mini only 7 months (and the only reason it exists is because of the sales success of the other 7 inch tablets.) Technology changes too quickly, so comparing those devices isnt a very accurate assessment.

You should purchase the device that best meets your needs (personally, would wait until the mini 2 comes out to evaluate, but hey, that's just me.)

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Partitioning is not the issue;  the Nook HD w/ 8GB has the same storage limitations.

However, my 3.5-year-old Motorola Droid runs Android 2.2 w/ 256MB of RAM , and the apps I run on it aren't particularly slow.  The home page and phone software is slow, however.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

Irishelf, if you prefer Apple, buy Apple. Just please don't try to tell us they don't push upgrades just like every other device manufacturer. I prefer Samsung myself, and now buy Samsung. When the NC came out, it was the only device in the $250 range that could be made to provide a "full tablet" experience. That changed within a couple of years. At that point, if you wanted more than the NC provided, it made zero sense to buy a NC. Buy your Nexus, Samsung or Apple and be happy.

Nobody's trying to talk you out of Apple. We're responding to people that have a long-unsupported NC and are screaming victimhood so loudly that even Rev. Sharpton is rolling his eyes. B&N not providing updates to a long-defunct device is a bummer, but hardly unique to B&N. To call it a "travesty" is being more than melodramatic.

Anybody that has a NC and wants access to GoPS apps has multiple options, some of which do not requre wiping out existing configurations. If you absolutely must have that app that tracks the migratory path of European Swallows, you can get it. B&N is not responsible for the death of kittens because they don't provide it. Dial back the drama, folks.

keriflur

I have an ipad, and an ipod touch, and my DH has owned Apple products the entire time I've known him (over a decade).  Their update process is 2 years, just like everyone else.  A new device comes out, and they update the previous two (the one that came out last year, and the one that came out two years ago).  for the 2-year-old device, that's very likely the last update that device will ever see.  Any additional updates are almost always app updates.

Irishelf, I know that you are familiar with their update process, but not everyone who will ever read this thread will be, so it should be stated fairly clearly - this is what Apple does, and it's not any better than what B&N does.  The NC is two and a half years old, and it's been almost a year since it went EOL, so it should come as no surprise that if a major release comes out for the devices currently being sold, that release is not going to be made backwards compatible to a device the company stopped selling almost a year earlier.  It's the same with Apple, and the same with everyone else (except, apparently, Asus, which if your Asus device hasn't literally fallen apart in 2 years, more power to you).

A good rule of thumb for ANY tech purchase - never expect any more from the device than it offers out of the box, and never expect it to outlive its warranty (a good reason to buy a 3-year warranty).  If you get more, great.  But if you expect more, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

I don't have higher expections for my $250 toys than I do for my car that costs a few times as much. If it didn't ship with it and I need it, I should either have identified how to get it, or bought something else.

Although it would be cool to be able to use GoPS on that old Palm TIII sitting in my desk drawer...

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Although it would be cool to be able to use GoPS on that old Palm TIII sitting in my desk drawer...

I'm still waiting for the Play Store upgrade to my StarTac.  Motorola totally screwed me, and I won't by anything from them again until they give me the upgrade I'm owed.  It's a travesty!

Seriously, if I could get a phone that size and weight that did all the things my current phone does, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Irishelf wrote:

I don't really care if I have Google Play or not-what I care about is having a tablet that has access to tons of apps (Apple yes Nook no), ability to read books from almost any seller (Apple yes Nook no), accessability for visually impaired (Apple yes Nook no), ability to put music on it (Apple yes NC yes but not easily) and ability to download videos (Apple yes NC no).  I already had an ipod when I bought my NC.  Almost anything you download for an ipod from itunes (which includes and cds you add to itunes) you can download to an ipad.  Which means I wouldn't have to spend a ton of money to add stuff to an ipad (especially since many Apple apps are free and those that aren't are usually less expensive than the NC versions).  Plus there is also the fact that Apple products are for the most part more durable than NCs.  And you get more than 2 years of upgrades.  My ipod is 2nd gen and only the last upgrade was not available to me (the ipod was made more than 2 years ago).  Had the ipad mini become available at the same time as the NC, I would have bought it rather than the NC.  You can brownnose B&N all you want-I have found Apple to be much more reliable and have much better customer service than B&N!

Then buy an iPad.  Buy whatever works for you.  That's why there's choices out there. 

I have several Nooks, I also have an iPad.  I hate reading on the iPad, only do it ocassionally, I'd rather read on my Android phone if nothing else is available.  None of the reading Apps, regardless of they're Apple or Android, have the features available in the native reading Apps on the Nooks.  There is absolutely no organization features in any of the Apps.  On the iPad, there's no in app purchasing of books, I have to leave the app and go to the website to buy the books.

The iPad mini is way overpriced, IMHO, for what you get.  But in the end, it is what works best for you.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

This: Somehow I must have touched a inflamed nerve among the regulars. If I have, please pardon.

No, it's just that there are hundreds of people complaining about not getting Google Play on a device that is two generations old. It gets annoying after the 5th time.