Contributor
Fishgirl3
0 Kudos

No book cover image when loading library epub using Adobe Digital Editions

I just loaded onto my NC an epub book from my local library using ADE. In the past my library epubs displayed a color book cover image whenever I loaded them onto my NC. This time, however, all I see is the generic grey book with title. This is the first time I have used ADE since the v.1.4 update. Is the generic grey book a result of the update, or is something else going awry with my NC or with ADE? The book is readable, and of course this is the most important thing. I just wondered if something is wrong with the NC software update. I did do a full shutdown and restart of the NC, but there was no change. Any info is appreciated.

Contributor
MDmom23
0 Kudos

Re: No book cover image when loading library epub using Adobe Digital Editions

I don't believe it has anything at all to do with your nook.  It's an ADE issue.  I think there are ways to fix it, but I don't recall.  I have the same issue with my ipad.  In fact, sometimes the cover isn't even displayed within Adobe.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The books with generic covers are probably DRMed ePUBs not from B&N.  

I purchase many non-agency ePUB titles from sellers other than B&N.  All ePUB files, DRMed or not, can be sideloaded and read just fine on my NOOKs.  But  DRMed ePUBs not from B&N (such as those from Kobo), display with  generic grey covers.  I do not think there is a work around for this.

If I am wrong or if someone else has discovered one, please let me know, too.  

PS:  If a PURCHASED non-DRMed ePUB displays a generic grey cover, you CAN  add or generate  a color cover via Calibre and reload the title with its new cover art.  (ADE is the only option for library books, isn't it?)

Contributor
Fishgirl3
0 Kudos

This is, in fact, the second time I have borrowed this specific ebook from my library. The first time I borrowed it and sideloaded it to my NC (about two months ago) the color book cover was present. When I borrowed it again, just days ago, the cover appeared as a generic grey book. Because I had seen the color cover previously, I was curious about the generic appearance this time. It may remain a mystery!

Contributor
MDmom23
0 Kudos

I have had the same issue with covers coming and going.  I do use Calibre, as well, so I always just add my cover.  Perusing my bookshelf with no covers just isn't as fun.