Reply
Frequent Contributor
guinnessfc
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎11-21-2010
0 Kudos

Nook Color Charger Heating up!

I have had my nookcolor since Nov. 18. I pre ordered it online.  I am very pleased with this device and have very much enjoyed it. I have been actively reading this forum to see how others have enjoyed their nooks. I recall reading about someone mentioning their charger melted while plugged in and charfing their nook and then a few others mentined it happened tho them as well.

 

Well I am posted this comment to report it happened to me last night. I could could burning plastic from my nook while it was charging and quickly unplugged it.  It appears no damage has come to my nook and outwardly no damage to the charger although your it has that heated plastic smell and it was hot to tocuh when I unplugged it.

 

I am concerned about using this charger again.  What are my options. SInce I order this on line. Iss BN addressing this situation publically or are this events just too rare.

 

I would appreicate any feedback regarding this situation.

 

Cheers

Charles

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

I'd try to exchange the charger and cable at a local B&N.  Even though you bought it online, hot/melting chargers are a fire hazard, and I can't imagine they would not replace it on the spot.

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,904
Registered: ‎12-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

Seems a bad batch o chargers/ USB cables made it to the market. From what I have read here, B&N have been replacing them without much trbl.
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Wordsmith
mbratch
Posts: 675
Registered: ‎11-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

I agree with all of the above. It shouldn't be heating up that badly. The wall wart is expected to get "quite warm" but not nearly hot enough for what you're observing. Mine, which I've had since Christmas, works just fine. I concur with getting it replaced.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
Posts: 756
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

One thing that is interesting is that folks will have a charger working fine, and then, all of a sudden, they get smoke. Am I correct in saying that this is always happening at the Nook end of the cable, not at the charger end?

 

I wonder if the odd microUSB connector is very sensitive to how it is inserted, and if it isn't in the NC just right, then we are seeing this problem.

 

Certainly something to monitor! I hope it is just a bad batch of chargers, but, really, all we know is that it seems to be happening to a fair number of units. It is easy to attribute that to just a bad batch, but it may really be a bad DESIGN, and it is just a relatively low probability event that could happen to any of us.:smileysurprised:

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
Posts: 1,164
Registered: ‎01-01-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

This scares me!  Barnes and Noble must address this problem immediately.  Even if it is only some chargers heating up and eventually melting, the potential fire hazard is there.  This is serious because a house fire can cause fatalities. No one wants their house to catch on fire.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
Posts: 756
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

My guess is that by now, B&N is well aware they might have liability issues on this one that greatly exceed just taking back the device. However, I wouldn't expect them to say anything until they have examined some clearly defective instances, and made an evaluation of what to do.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
Posts: 1,064
Registered: ‎04-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

[ Edited ]

CasperAZ wrote:

This scares me!  Barnes and Noble must address this problem immediately.  Even if it is only some chargers heating up and eventually melting, the potential fire hazard is there.  This is serious because a house fire can cause fatalities. No one wants their house to catch on fire.


The sky is NOT falling.    The NC A/C adapter is UL approved/tested or whatever it is they do.  I've hear of a few that get hot, I've yet to read here where one caught on fire.

 

There's a HUGE difference between getting hot or melting vs buring. 

 

Normal precautions are all that's needed.   Smoke detectors, a PLAN on how to get out if needed.

 

 

 

---------
Don
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
Posts: 756
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

I agree that the sky is not falling. However, "a PLAN on how to get out if needed" sounds pretty serious to me.

 

We've heard of one or more that have melted, been smoking, etc. That is pretty hot. If that was sitting on or touching something flammable, I'd be real concerned.

 

I think it would be prudent if flammable things were kept away until this issue is clearly resolved. Incidently, I think that is prudent with any electronic device being charged from a wall outlet.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
Posts: 1,064
Registered: ‎04-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

[ Edited ]

withfeeling wrote:

I agree that the sky is not falling. However, "a PLAN on how to get out if needed" sounds pretty serious to me.

 

We've heard of one or more that have melted, been smoking, etc. That is pretty hot. If that was sitting on or touching something flammable, I'd be real concerned.

 

I think it would be prudent if flammable things were kept away until this issue is clearly resolved. Incidently, I think that is prudent with any electronic device being charged from a wall outlet.


EVERYONE should have smoke detectors and a plan on how to get out of their home if a fire occurs.   No matter what causes the fire.    That is basic common sense.

 

If there's a fire at the front door, what's your plan...go out the back door?  

 

If the fire is on the steps and you can't go downstairs, what's the safest way to get out via a

window?

 

Etc.

 

Has NOTHING to do with this particular issue.   It's a good idea.

 

 

And who would keep flamables by a charger?    That's just wrong, no matter what.

 

 

---------
Don
New User
jshellycpa
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

I have had my Nook Color since the middle of December and have not had any issues with the charger getting hot until last night.  It was hot to the touch when I unplugged it and it had only been charging for 10-15 minutes.  I determined that the way I had the charger plugged in was the reason why it was hot.  I had it plugged in upside down because the bottom outlet was already occupied.  I believe the reason it became hot is because it was reversed.  Has anyone else determined that this was the reason for them?  If so, I propose that B&N prevent this by making one of the prongs larger than the other so there is only one way to plug the charger into an outlet.

 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

 


donc13 wrote:

withfeeling wrote:

I agree that the sky is not falling. However, "a PLAN on how to get out if needed" sounds pretty serious to me.

 

We've heard of one or more that have melted, been smoking, etc. That is pretty hot. If that was sitting on or touching something flammable, I'd be real concerned.

 

I think it would be prudent if flammable things were kept away until this issue is clearly resolved. Incidently, I think that is prudent with any electronic device being charged from a wall outlet.


EVERYONE should have smoke detectors and a plan on how to get out of their home if a fire occurs.   No matter what causes the fire.    That is basic common sense.

 

If there's a fire at the front door, what's your plan...go out the back door?  

 

If the fire is on the steps and you can't go downstairs, what's the safest way to get out via a

window?

 

Etc.

 

Has NOTHING to do with this particular issue.   It's a good idea.

 

 

And who would keep flamables by a charger?    That's just wrong, no matter what.

 

 


True enough.  Still doesn't absolve B&N (or the Underwriter's Laboratories!) from liability, though.  Especially since the melting occurrences are pretty much common knowledge here on teh interwebz.

 

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Frequent Contributor
guinnessfc
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎11-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!


jshellycpa wrote:

I have had my Nook Color since the middle of December and have not had any issues with the charger getting hot until last night.  It was hot to the touch when I unplugged it and it had only been charging for 10-15 minutes.  I determined that the way I had the charger plugged in was the reason why it was hot.  I had it plugged in upside down because the bottom outlet was already occupied.  I believe the reason it became hot is because it was reversed.  Has anyone else determined that this was the reason for them?  If so, I propose that B&N prevent this by making one of the prongs larger than the other so there is only one way to plug the charger into an outlet.

 


Funny you should mention this scenerio, becasue I had my charger plugged into a different outlet then I had in the past and I wonder if I plugged it in differently. Because like you it was the bottom wall outlet. Prior to that I had it plugged into a power strip.

Wordsmith
mbratch
Posts: 675
Registered: ‎11-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

For the record, the charger should work plugged into the wall outlet either right side up, or down. If it doesn't then that's a problem with the charger.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
Posts: 756
Registered: ‎11-16-2010

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

[ Edited ]

"Should" is the operative word, but yes, if it required a phased plug (one with one side of the plug bigger than the other), UL would certainly have called that out.

Frequent Contributor
guinnessfc
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎11-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

BN Tech email for those who may expereince this same issue:

 

"We reviewed your email, and based on the information you provided, we
feel that we may need to process a warranty claim for your NOOKcolor USB
Charging Cable.  Before we can get started, we need to speak with you to
verify certain information about your device, and to make doubly sure
that we understand the problem.

We ask that you call us at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and select
option 2 for Digital Support.  We are available Monday through Friday
from 8AM to 11PM EST, Saturdays and Sundays 9AM to 11PM EST.  Customers
outside of the United States may contact us at 201-559-3882"

 

charles

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,904
Registered: ‎12-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

I determined that the charger ets hotter the lower the batt. At 20. - 30% it gets almost to hot to touch. Above 50% it is warm. Even starting at 20% it will cool when it gets above 80%. The ones that melt are most likly defective and need replaced. It would be helpful if we had more data. Please post results. I'm curious to see if anyone has a charger that doesn't heat up no mater how run down the batt. I will start a new thread on this and try n get mod to sticky it.
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Wordsmith
mbratch
Posts: 675
Registered: ‎11-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

Good observation phoneboy. The charging current in a charger is higher when the battery level is lower. And the charging current abates as the battery charges. Or stated another way, the battery charges slower and slower as it approaches full charge. If you check the current % level as it goes, it seems to take forever to get that last 5%! Which is normal. So early in the cycle, the wall wart will be noticeably warmer. But, as you say, although it's "quite warm" it shouldn't almost hurt to touch it, otherwise it's probably defective.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,904
Registered: ‎12-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!


mbratch wrote:

Good observation phoneboy. The charging current in a charger is higher when the battery level is lower. And the charging current abates as the battery charges. Or stated another way, the battery charges slower and slower as it approaches full charge. If you check the current % level as it goes, it seems to take forever to get that last 5%! Which is normal. So early in the cycle, the wall wart will be noticeably warmer. But, as you say, although it's "quite warm" it shouldn't almost hurt to touch it, otherwise it's probably defective.


 

It does not heat up enough to leave skin. It isnt even uncommon for chargers to be hot when working hard. I would not be very concerned had I not read sev posts (here and other forums) about the melting and the adverse affects on the NC when plugged in. My NC fuctions the same weather plugged in or not so I figure I have a working charger.

 

I AM curious to see what other people find.

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
gotbook
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎01-20-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger Heating up!

My nook color spark and started a small blue flame! Taken it back to BN, the manager called in nook head quater they told me they will send out a replacement in 3 days. It has bbeen over 2weeks now and I have not see any thing. Called back yesterday waited for 30mins some lady answer she said she will send it out. I ask for confirm # she would not give it. I ask if there is any commplain about problem with nook color charger burn or spark? She said "never heard of it". I think nook need to address this issue before someone house burn down and there will be a big law suite.