Reader
WhiskeyFoy
0 Kudos

Nook Color Crashes when launching book or magazine.

My wifes nook seems to not like the new update or possibly its just a glitch in the system itself.  What is happening is that when she tries to launch a book or magazine the screen goes black and then she tries to push the power button and it comes up for a second and then goes black again this time powering itself off. 

It doesn't power off with the warning like normal, it just gives a black screen and she has to wait a minute then hold the power button again to turn it back on.  Now this only happens with launching a book or magazine as she can run games all day long if she wanted.  But we got it for an E Reader not a tablet.  So I am wondering what if anything can be done or if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks

New User
Crawlue
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Crashes when launching book or magazine.

I have also seen this, only for magazines.  It is unfortunate that I can't read them.  I've cancelled my subscriptions until this problem is resolved.  I tried googling it and came across your thread.  Hope others see this and can come up with a solution, or if B&N can make a patch.

Contributor
Anne52
0 Kudos

Same problem! Black screen and haven't been able to read another book! Taking it to the store next and see if they know anything. Disappointing. Been using it since Xmas....

Contributor
Anne52

Try holding the power button down for a long time, 15 to 20 seconds. I did and it rebooted! 

Contributor
Kariahnna
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have just started having this happen a couple days ago.  Every so often it just locks up and I have to power it down to get it back to normal.  I downloaded 1 book (Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars) and one app (Evernote) pretty much at the same sitting (within 10 min. of eachother) and after that have started having these issues.  At first I thought it was the new book as that's the first time it locked up.  Loaded the book and that was all it would do, wouldn't change pages or let me close it or nothing, had to reboot the system to get it back to normal.  Then it's done it about 6 or 7 times since then.

Today it did the blackout thing to me.  Locked up and then went to black screen (this was after downloading the Spawn app for making wallpapers etc. (which I still can't figure out how it all works yet hehe).  Screen went totally black and I couldn't even get it to reboot either.  Took about 5 minutes of messing around trying to get it working before I saw that it really was rebooting but the screen stayed black during the reboot for some reason and finally when I clicked on some things the screen lit back up.

Something is definitely wrong with something here, just don't know what else to try :/

Any other suggestions as to what the issue might  be?  Powering it down and back up will not fix the issue, just bandages it for a while till it happens again.

Reader 4
doneworkin42
0 Kudos

Thanks Anne52.  I've starting having this problem yesterday and have been researching it on the forum.  Your answer was one of the few that I could understand and the only one that worked.  A laurel for you.  :smileyhappy:

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just one comment.  If you're experiencing this problem yourself, and Anne52's fix corrects it, that implies that something one of your apps did is hosing part of the system.

Keep an eye on what you run after that point, and see if it does happen again.  If there's some correlation (e.g. you recently ran Evernote), perhaps we can track it down.

I mention apps because even though you may be seeing problems reading regular books, it's more likely because a recently run app has corrupted something, than it is the book itself.  Not impossible, just talking probabilities here.

It if IS a particular book, then that's something the B&N team would want to know about ASAP.  Crashing a NC reader (which should never happen) is a pretty significant issue.  And the fact that at least 5 folks have just started running into this in the last few days suggests the problem will get worse unless it's dealt with.

- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

One other thought.

There is a system log file maintained on your NC that records things like errors and problems with running apps.  I'm not sure if the B&N Team will want to take advantage of this, but they could arrange to have this data uploaded to them, if they knew who was experiencing the problem and flagged their account on the server, the next time your NC 'phoned home'.

Having this information would then let them know who the culprit was, and hopefully how it could be resolved.

- Mark

Contributor
Jack_Blasto
0 Kudos

This started occuring to mine about a week ago. A point to note is I had NOT downloaded any apps, etc that would cause corruption. Every time I open any magazine it crashes. Books are fine.

Contributor
Jack_Blasto
0 Kudos

Noteworthy as well is the "fix"posted above that you reboot holding power for 15-20 seconds does not work for my case.

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Jack,

I agree that those are two very valuable observations.  Since it just started a week ago, I assume you were able to open magazines fine before?

How long have you had v1.2 on your NC?  I'm just wondering if you may have recently been updated OTA.  This is really peculiar behavior.

- Mark

New User
Caitlin519
0 Kudos

I just got my nook color 2 weeks ago.  I downloaded an issue of Cosmopolitan to read on the plane when I went on vacation and it worked fine. A couple days ago,I tried to open up the magazine because I never finished reading it, and the magazine showed up for a second, then the screen went black and none of the buttons worked.  I had to reboot.  I have rebooted numerous times and the same thing still happens. The only app I have on my nook is Pulse. Why is this happening? Has anyone called B&N or brought this to a store? For the cost of the nook color, this should NOT be happening. I'm very close to returning it and buying a kindle because this is ridiculous.

Frequent Contributor
purpletatoe
0 Kudos

Pulse does crash my nook occassionally.  I've turned off automatic news updates for pulse (I'm not sure if that may help).  -I have not had any problems with magazines leading to a crash...

You may try archiving the issue, allowing the issue to be removed from your device, and then un-archiving/redownloading it, to see if that fixes the problem.

Contributor
Jack_Blasto
0 Kudos

Mark, I wish I knew when 1.2 went onto my nook I have it set to automatically update and I'm unsure of when it happened. To answer the question of were my magazines working fine the week before? I'm unsure of the exact timeline but the last time I opened one it worked (which might have been longer than a week up to 3 weeks???). I was able to read them fine. Based on how often I add things to the nook (which is not too often) it occurred sometime between the download of 1.2 OR  the latest edition of MacLife OR Maxim. I doubt Maxim or MacLife corrupted anything so I'm guessing 1.2 has the issue. Books still work which is the only reason I'm not freaking out :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Jack_Blasto
0 Kudos

So has anyone had any resolve with this? Taken there's back to BN? I can't get any resolution yet.
New User
Z0MBIEGIRL
0 Kudos

I see the magazine problem is an ongoing issue that has yet to be resolved.  I thought I had it under control by archiving back issues.  That worked for about a week and as of last night my nook went back to a black screen after opening National Geographic.  I will have to unsubscribe if the issue isn't resolved soon.  The only reply I received from tech support was pertaining to archiving and that was a bust as mentioned.  

New User
Starburst27
0 Kudos

My Nook color crashed after downloading a magazine yesterday and then trying to open the magazine.  Anne's fix worked for me this morning by rebooting the system.

However, during that process it seemed to delete the library book I was reading which isn't a problem as I will just add it again.

Thank you, Anne, for your suggestion.  I do think that Barnes and Noble should be able to make a software correction so this doesn't happen.  Had I not seen Anne's post, I would not have been able to use my Nook color at all as it just kept going to a black screen before I could even read the error message.  If I were just beginning a vacation or away on a business trip, I would have been very upset!!

Contributor
Jack_Blasto
0 Kudos

Why doesn't Anne's fix work for me? :smileymad: Can someone elaborate on the process in case I am missing something (not that there seems to be too much to say about a power button) I know making an iphone reboot includes holding the middle (home) button a well? Annes fix is as simple as holding the button on the left hand side of the nook for 15 seconds, correct? Thanks.

New User
Starburst27
0 Kudos

Jack, the first time I tried it, it didn't work either.  I think I held it too long as during that time I saw a "flicker" and just waited the full 20 seconds.

The next time I tried, when I saw this flicker or flash of light, I let go and then it seemed to work.  Hope this helps you.

New User
deejdaisy
0 Kudos

This happened to me about three weeks ago.  Archiving and downloading did not work.  I called tech support and they had me deregister.  That did work and so my faith was restored...except tried another magazine today and it happened with the new magazine.  Starting to get very ticked.  I don't expect to need to deregister and register my nook every time I get a new magazine...that requires downloading ALL of the books again.

B&N - you recently got a lot of press about your female magazines outselling iPad users - your support for this issue should be better.