New User
RhyssPeices
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Crashes when launching book or magazine.

Yep, just reboot her nook color by holding down the power button located on the side. I didn't have to hold the button for 15-20 seconds, only about 5 for me. Hope this helps!

- :smileyhappy: Rhysspeices

New User
LeslieFinn
0 Kudos

My nook color works fine with books but crashes when I open color magazines...  this is really frustrating!  It seems to work for a while but then starts having issues and requires a hard restart to get it working again.  Has B&N acknowledged this issue anywhere?  I'm temped to swap out my unit for a new one, but I'm not convinced this is a hardware issue.

I'm running 1.2 and the magazine it most often happens with is Natural Health

Thanks

Reader
WhiskeyFoy
0 Kudos

So I take it B&N Support never reads these threads.. This seems to be a very common issue and no one seems to be addressing it.  I mean all I am asking for is a "Hey we confirmed this and we are working on a patch to 1.2 to fix this issue and the patch should be out XXX".

Contributor
Jack_Blasto
0 Kudos

Barnes and Noble fixed mine by playing with the layout on the screen. Touch the screen in a blank area and "clean up this panel". This will make sure nothing is overlapping on the screen and possibly creating a problem. Now do a hard restart. This fixed mine and hasn't had a problem since. Mine was messed up for months and no hard restart alone fixed anything so the key to my situation was "clean up this panel". Hope this helps.
Reader
WhiskeyFoy
0 Kudos

Still no luck.. Tried to archive all items of the Nook, tried the "Clean up this Pannel" and none of that has worked.  Still everytime a color magazine is downloaded and launched the black screen of suck comes up.  This Ereader is basically turning into a giant ESolitare Player for my wife.  Any other ideas would be great!

New User
sunny98DS
0 Kudos

My nook had been running great. Then when I turned to check a magazine the screen goes black. This only happens with the magazines. All else is fine. I have not downloaded anything new.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

sunny98DS wrote:

My nook had been running great. Then when I turned to check a magazine the screen goes black. This only happens with the magazines. All else is fine. I have not downloaded anything new.

Thanks very much for your support.  The fact that only a single variable has changed on your system tells me a lot.

I think that B&N would be well advised to admit they have a problem with their current Reader software, when it comes to some content contained in the newer color magazines, and let everyone know they are working on correcting it.  (In spite of the fact that that will inevitably result in a volley of "when will it be fixed?!")

As it is, folks think that it's something they're doing wrong, or it's something THEY can fix (encouraged by Customer Service) by some combination of swinging a dead chicken over their heads while chanting special incantations.  :smileyvery-happy:

From everything I'm hearing, I'm getting the impression this is a B&N problem, and they're the only ones that are able to correct it.  Stepping up and accepting that responsibility would be the first step towards restoring customer confidence.

- Mark

New User
Robholts
0 Kudos

This problem just started for me a few days ago.

I first discovered the reboot solution to get out of the black screen, but I've since discovered a better solution to getting out of the black.

I click the side power button twice, not holding, just press once to go to standby, then again to "wake it up" and it brings the standby screen with the unlock slider. Then get ready to press the Nook button, slide the slider and as soon as you hit the green dot hit the Nook button (the n logo button on the front bottom and center). It drops the system back to the home screen. If you hit the currently reading button at the bottom left or the drop down at the top you'll get stuck back in the black screen but this helps so you don't have to wait for the reboot.

Still very disappointing to not find a solution to the problem though, since I have about 8 subscriptions.

New User
chams331
0 Kudos

First off let me say that i realize this post is for the nook color.  I recently bought a Tablet and had the same issue today.  I was playing Sudoku and tapped the screen to put in a # and the screen went blank.  It's important to note... it DID NOT turn off, it just went blank.  If you turn it to the side you could tell it was still powered on, but the screen was totally blank.  I read an earlier post where the person said they pushed and held the power button in for 20 seconds.  I only had to hold mine in for 10 and it turned off.  I let it sit for about 30 seconds and powered it back on and everything came up like normal.  Hope this helps somebody.  Also, I had just purchased "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (for $9.99 NOT the $4.99 advertised price) and Astraware "Mahjong Tiles" about an hour before it crashed.