New User
hawaiianpr
0 Kudos

Nook Color- Don't waste your money

[ Edited ]

Just purchased this yesterday and can't wait to return it!!!! It's great for reading books but when you try going on facebook or aol the keypad comes up and once you type in one letter the key pad disappears. So for the price I rather downgrade to the regular nook. This is not meant for web browsing. Therefore, unsatisfied with this gadget. Compares to IPAD, I don't think so one bit. Also, after a viewing it a couple of times sideways on landscape it goes back to it's original 8x10 picture and for the web it doesn't go back to landscape. What a waste of money this is.

4D
Reader
4D
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color- Don't waste your money

My experience differs.  It is possible you have a defective model.  The screen is pretty sensitive, so you it might be detecting your hand touching it in another spot. My screen only goes away after I've typed what I want and then tapped on GO.  It will go away if I touch an unused area on the screen though.  

As for comparing it to an iPad, it will need an app store with several hundred thousand apps as well as a minimum price of $500 to get close. You bought a color e-reader. Everything else is an "extra".   

4D

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Sorry you are having these probs. I surf with no probs at all. I can post on all of my forums with ease. I have a host of favs saved and can pop on asap.

There is always the possibility that there is something wrong with your device. I would bring it back to B & N, if that is where you purchased it, and see how it works in their enviroment.

Contributor
TheJohnNewton
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Edited as the message below has a better answer...  

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

hawaiianpr wrote:

Just purchased this yesterday and can't wait to return it!!!! It's great for reading books but when you try going on facebook or aol the keypad comes up and once you type in one letter the key pad disappears. So for the price I rather downgrade to the regular nook. This is not meant for web browsing. Therefore, unsatisfied with this gadget. Compares to IPAD, I don't think so one bit. Also, after a viewing it a couple of times sideways on landscape it goes back to it's original 8x10 picture and for the web it doesn't go back to landscape. What a waste of money this is.

The solution for the facebook/aol problem has already been mentioned on this board: Use the mobile version of the website. This seems to be a problem of this particular version of the Android browser (not a Nook Color software problem). So hopefuly the Android 2.2 update early next year should solve this problem.

Wordsmith
watchingDclock

So in summary, the Nook Color e-reader is great for reading books, but is glitchy when inputting text on the Web, and is therefore no iPad and a waste of money?

Gotcha.

Distinguished Correspondent
The_Most_Happy

I'm curious to see how many people purchase an ereader and then complain because it's an ereader.

Frequent Contributor
pennicat
0 Kudos

Ha Ha!  It performs so much better and does so much more than I could ever have expected from an "e-reader"!  If you want a full tablet experience, then by all means, buy one.  Or maybe a netbook!

Contributor
dirtygreek
0 Kudos

To be clear, try http://touch.facebook.com. That works great. Also, any browser problems you may have are due to the stock android browser that is included, and the NC is built on android 2.1.  2.2 is already out and fixes some browser issues (and includes flash), and it's been said that we'll have an upgrade for the NC to 2.2 sometime early next year.

I agree, however, that if you want a tablet computer, the NC might not be what you want.

Inspired Contributor
TheBeerSoapCompany
0 Kudos

hawaiianpr wrote:

Maybe callign tech support to walk you through it. My experience was a total opposite. My fiance and I were actually marveling at how fast the browser is. I have been able to go to many of my everyday sites without any problems, and the keyboard stays open for me.

I really don't know why people want to compare it to an Ipad. 2 Different animals, plus one costs a lot more and tries to be an ereader.

Contributor
LittlePaperBoutique
0 Kudos

I agree with everyone else.  The past few days, I was amazed at how much else it does besides an ereader.  I've had a great experience with the web, checking my emails, posting on forums, and Facebook have all been better than I expected.  No, it isn't the iPad, but for what I need it for, it is an excellent alternative.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

I like how the OP registered on CNET just to give it a 1/2 star rating to complain that he couldn't post to Facebook correctly.

Oy vey.

Contributor
rogerperk

I didn't buy this as an alternative to the Ipad.  I bought it as an enhanced reader.  For the extra $100 it answers my needs as a reader where the 'regular' Nook did not PLUS I can surf a bit (nothing fancy) if the need arises.  There will come a time - soon I think - where it will be possible to download Android programs and they'll work but until then this is my new, enhanced reader.

Inspired Contributor
TheBeerSoapCompany

I think a lot of people probably buy an IPad for hand candy.  When I wanted a touchscreen laptop, I bought a HP Touchsmart TX2Z.  Touchscreen plus a full keyboard. I could not be happier.  I wanted something that could fulfill all my computing needs. I think the IPad falls a bit short on that.  

Comparing the Nook Color to the IPad would be like comparing the Ipad to a TX2Z. They may have similar functions, but one costs way more than the other with a lot more capabilities.

Contributor
Traverser

.....Really?....You want to take it back because of something that can be fixed in an update? Not only that you cant turn on a computer and type in a statues or texted it? I think "Waste of money" is an immature statement. I got one day one, and I am way too happy with it. I never need to think about getting an iPad now.

Correspondent
g0tr00t

Aloha apple fanboy, great first post. Hope to see more great reviews on Android tablets.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

I have posted this elsewhere that it is a problem tech support wants to know about-basically posting on here that you have this problem is a good thing.  The thread I created however was merged into another.

This is a software issue (tech said) and if people report it it can be better addressed with the planned update.  It may be due to sensitivity.  I may not get this right, but the touchscreen kind of learns your touch and what pressure is applied and if one error happens it just gets worse to where it won't respond.  There may be other issues, but I think this is what I was told.  Mine does the same thing if I try to post here or send PMs.  I don't have problems with other sites.

I have to exchange mine due to another hardware issue, but if it was just this I would reset the thing to factory settings, de-register and all and then set it up again and see if it clears up.

I don't labor under any false illusions that this is an iPad lite.  It is and always has been touted as an ereader with some tablet features, but more of an enhanced ereader.  I think getting all distressed and such is pointless.  If you aren't happy, return it, move on, problem solved.  Then go and pay lotsa money for an over-sized iPod Touch.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
MsAmberRocks

You do realize your purchasing the NOOKcolor first gen? It just rolled off the press and although I'm sure it was beta tested until it gets in the hands of MANY MANY consumers will issues arrise that will need to be fixed.

Barnes and Noble does a wonderful job at listening to what its consumers want and will "patch" this early  next year as planned with the upgrade to version 2.2 android. Also, the current nook is getting a facelift in less than a week... further proof that B&N is listening to their customers and continuing to provide them with a product that meets their needs and standards.

Hope you don't live your life only giving things one chance to get things right... you will miss out on a lot of things if you do.

Contributor
Rob71MN
0 Kudos

I have to agree with MsAmberRocks - I just got the Nook 1st gen earlier this year and wouldn't have just purchased the NOOKcolor if I didn't think B&N was not providing adequate updates. While there are definitely some issues to be addressed with the NOOKcolor I have been surprised how much this board is actually frequented by the Nook engineers. Kudos to B&N!

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

As most of the posts state. The NookColor is primarly an E-reader. It works. The keyboard thing is the only problem that I have REALLY found annouying. The  touch.facebook.com solves that problem. Thank you dirtygreek.

Its NOT supposed to be a tablet although the tablet like features are great.I would highly reccomend the NookColor to anyone looking for an E-reader with some cool extras.

JMHO

phoneboy

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown