Frequent Contributor
momto4wild1s
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color- Don't waste your money

I have to agree with the fact that writing aol email on it is not a possibility! I can read email fine but cannot compose one!  I can get the keyboard to come up for the person I'm sending one to, and the subject but when I click on the message/body the keyboard does not show up! Its rather frustrating esp when B & N assured me this would work with my email to!  However, I do love the reader. Its fantastic!  Even if they say "download and read in seconds" means an hour before your purchase is downloaded onto your reader!

Correspondent
Traff
0 Kudos

Try making sure that you're composing email in text mode, if you can do that on AOL...   My keyboard wouldn't appear to compose messages in Yahoo mail until I switched from rich text to plain text.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

momto4wild1s wrote:

I have to agree with the fact that writing aol email on it is not a possibility! I can read email fine but cannot compose one!  I can get the keyboard to come up for the person I'm sending one to, and the subject but when I click on the message/body the keyboard does not show up! Its rather frustrating esp when B & N assured me this would work with my email to!  However, I do love the reader. Its fantastic!  Even if they say "download and read in seconds" means an hour before your purchase is downloaded onto your reader!

The 1.0.1 software update lets you choose between mobile and desktop in the browser settings. Choose mobile as default setting. That should solve your problems.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Sounds like "cockpit error," to me.  I haven't experienced any of those problems.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

My experience with the Nook Color is totally different than the OP.

I was expecting a great e-reader. with limited add on functionality.   

I got a great e-reader, and as a bonus am quite happy about how functional the web browser is.  And it will only improve with future updates...  awesome!   

Contributor
Runamuck
0 Kudos

The_Most_Happy wrote:

I'm curious to see how many people purchase an ereader and then complain because it's an ereader.

I think what you are seeing is the pervasive influence the iPad has had on the eReader marketplace.  I can't tell you how many people I've met who bought an iPad PRIMARILY to use it as an eReader and not a true tablet ocmputing device.  People expect eReaders to perform iPad-esque functions because the iPad can perform eReader-esque functions.

We have a Kindle 3, an iPad and now a NC in the family.  I really am happy with the NC given the fact that I can still tie my reading experience pretty seamlessly to web lookups for further reading/research.  Yes, I know all about the "reader trance" and not disrupting it.  But I love having a web browser deeply tied to my reading experience and the NC handles this just fine.  I can understand why people would naturally expect richer browsing experience...after all, we are talking about a browser, the "least common demoninator" in apps these days.  Everything can run a browser and there really isn't any reason why the NC's browsing experience can't be improved slightly. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

dirtygreek wrote:

To be clear, try http://touch.facebook.com. That works great. Also, any browser problems you may have are due to the stock android browser that is included, and the NC is built on android 2.1.  2.2 is already out and fixes some browser issues (and includes flash), and it's been said that we'll have an upgrade for the NC to 2.2 sometime early next year.

I agree, however, that if you want a tablet computer, the NC might not be what you want.

That mobile site was a big help! Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Runamuck wrote:

People expect eReaders to perform iPad-esque functions because the iPad can perform eReader-esque functions.

I think it is also the influence of Android phones (and now tablets). Everyone knows the NC is based on Android so they are expecting that more of what Android phones & tablets can do will be available on the NC. By contrast, very few seem to be aware that the Nook Classic was also Android based.

Moreover, B&N has taken some shortcuts with applications on the NC. The PDF reader, for example, is not a full product and its user interface doesn't match the reading experience of the ePub reader. That is not what occurred in the Nook Classic and this has created a lot of user complaints.

Aspects of the NC seem rushed to make it into the Christmas sales season. I'm sure much of the problem will be fixed over time. However, there may be lingering problems because users are now comparing the NC's apps head-to-head with superior apps available for Android.

Reader
roxigirl
0 Kudos

My husband bought me a nook color and I love it. It is easy to read books and I can use the web without any trouble.  We bought it at a barnes and noble and not on line and there were alot of people there to help me get started. I am sure if you could go to one of their stores they would be glad to help you.  Dont give up it really is a great e reader.