New User
Swick42
0 Kudos

Nook Color Hacking

Hello,

I have had my Nook Color for a year or so now, and I have been looking into hacking/rooting it. I'm not really sure the difference between rooting or hacking, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to use. I have looked into Honeycomb and CM7 or even CM10. I'm not really sure what the pros and cons are of any of the above, because I don't really understand the information people give in videos I have seen. I'm going to be honest, I'm not super tech savy. I also have questions about whether or not I will have the ability to return to the factory OS if I install another? Could I just use an OS off a SD card so when it's not in my NC goes back to factory default? If I install a different OS will I have the ability to read downloaded books through it? Thank you for what ever help anyone can provide.

-Swick42

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Hacking

Swick42 wrote:

Hello,

1. I'm not really sure the difference between rooting or hacking, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to use. 

2. I also have questions about whether or not I will have the ability to return to the factory OS if I install another? 

3. Could I just use an OS off a SD card so when it's not in my NC goes back to factory default? 

4.  If I install a different OS will I have the ability to read downloaded books through it? 

-Swick42

reply:

1. No difference, rooting is hacking since it is modifying the OS outside the original software license. What to use? Just rooting the B&N 1.4.3, use Manualnooter. Install new android OS, install CM 10 (CM 10.1 is in beta).

2. Yes. Usually, you can revert back to B&N OS.

3. Yes. You could dual boot from your uSD card, but why? Imho, just dual boot from your NC (emmc), and leave the uSD for your data.

4. Yes, With CM 7 or CM 10, you can download the Nook android app and read and use your B&N content. The exprerience is much different than stock B&N when using the Nook android app. (one reason I dual boot). Just rooting B&N 1.4.3 with Manualnooter, the B&N remains and Manualnooter adds Google Playstore, and some other apps; and a second home.

I hope this helps.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Reader
georgemoe
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Hacking

I just used Manualnooter as the previous poster recommended. You can find instructions via this link.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1494901

Tips - 

There is a lot of information. Focus on the sections - 

Before you begin: and Let's get started:

Everything above it is greek to me. :smileyhappy:

The link given for WIN32DiskImager does not take you directly to the download. Look for the home button and select it. You will then find the download. I also had a bit of an issue to get it running. Finally did. Your mileage may vary.

Of the choices given, I used - manualnooter-5.08.20.basic.block_updates.zip . I don't know what apps2sd support is nor do I care. Seems like it's just extra I don't want to worry about. So you don't need to worry about kernals.

Important - Watch the video. It is very helpful to watch the video before and during the process. It helps translate the instructions a bit better. Pause and restart the video as you progress through the process.

If you have trouble, post on that forum for help. I just rooted this past weekend so I know it works well. Took all but 15 to 20 min tops. I love it. Much better than going out and wasting money on another tablet like device when I had already spent $250 on the NC when they were first out.

Good luck.