Frequent Contributor
Minpinrose
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color is acting out

Thanks Don!   I have noticed that if I am lazy and didn't realize I was resting the area below my thumb on the virtual keyboard that I was entering letters in a Crossword.  I am training myself not to do that but I have also noticed that the letters on the right or left of the virtual keyboard are especially resistive to my touch.  In other words,  I have to tap "P"  many many times before it will enter.  Also it is difficult sometimes to touch on the start point of a puzzle and get it to select the exact work across or down that I want.  I have a anti-glare cover on the NC which I have read that dirty screens may affect the accuracy of the touchscreen.  Perhaps that is the problem!  Thanks for the posting!

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

[ Edited ]

Atomant wrote:
Anyone tried breaking the rule before returning the Nook and using alcohol to clean it and see if that clears up the problem. 

I would not suggest using alcohol or any other liquid other than water on a damp cloth to clean the screen.  This is pretty standard with all current devices and you could damage the screen (and possibly void your warranty, although I'm not exactly sure on that).

You may try getting a protective cover, this may help with some of your capacitive screen issue.  They're a bit more durable than the glass on the screen and allow you to remove them if they get too bad.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nook+color+screen+protector&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvad...

New User
TJsAprilia
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touch Screen Freaking Out

I have been searching the net to see if anyone is having a similar issue to mine. I bought 2 nook colors for my GF and my Dad. My GF loves reading books and likes the ability to surf the web a bit on the nook as well. She has had it less then a week and is already having an issue with the key board.

Tonight she was trying to sign into her Email and it kept adding additional letters.  So if she wanted to type "a", it would show up as aaa or aa. This would happen on each letter she was trying to type. I tried and had the same issue. We rebooted the nook and still had the same issue.

Has anyone else had this issue?  Is there a fix, or should we return it?

TJ

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

I was hoping someone had ignored the manual and tried anyway.

Working with CPU chips, I never use water to clean, only 99% iso-propyl alcohol.

Since water and oil do not mix, it seems to me adding water will only smear the problem

around. I've seen this happen on monitors.

If one has hard well water they might be adding minerals, like rust,iron to the glass.

Tap water could also leave white marks on the screen because of the dissolved salts.

I guess one should use deionized water. 

I'll take a look at a protector.

Also can you edit your posts? The help says you can't but, I noticed that your post says..

last edited 5 hours ago.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Atomant wrote:

Also can you edit your posts? The help says you can't but, I noticed that your post says..

last edited 5 hours ago.

You can edit for about 90 minutes after you post.

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

Atomant : Also can you edit your posts? The help says you can't but, I noticed that your post says..

Yep, it's on the right hand side under options.  I accidentally hit post when I was trying to hit quote before and posted a blank message, so I went in and edited it.

As a side, my NC is also showing signs of possession.  For instance, it really liked the letter t last night and kept insisting I put it on every post :smileyhappy:.  

I also don't have a screen protector, and there very well might be some minor bug issues that will hopefully get worked out in up coming software updates.

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks to you both for answering the editing question.

I am going to test it out again.

I'm curious, how did you find out that editing up to 90 mins

was allowed ?

Hey it works. So much for the help section.

From the help section:

Can I edit or delete my message comments?

No, you can't. Be sure to check your spelling and preview your comment before you post it; you can't edit a comment once it's posted. By special provision Ya_Ya and Mosier42 have granted me further insight into the world of editing.:smileyhappy:

Contributor
Callimachus
0 Kudos

I have had some experience with the Nook Color screen freaking out that I can share.

My Nook has been very good and I've had no problems except when I read in an environment of very high (extreme) humidity the color Nook can freak out.  It has happened to me three times now so I can definitely say it has something to do with condensation.  This last time I was very careful to make sure my fingers were not wet but it still freaked out. 

The fix everytime was to shut the Nook off and move the Nook into a dry area.  Once I got really worried because it was so freaked out it wouldn't shut down and I thought I might have to take the battery out and then I remembered you couldn't take the battery out but it finally shut down.

Once in a dry area it always started working correctly again.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

I wonder if there is some geography relevant to this problem. Are many of you folks having problems from the colder portions of the country? Two issues that I can think of that might be applicable: first, the temperature changes from bringing your NC in and out of your heated house (this has been discussed above, of course), and second, the issue of static electricity that tends to accumulate in the winter, especially in the dry heated air of cold climates. Capacitive screens can probably be very sensitive to these types of issues.

I live in climatically benign California and I have seen none of these problems, at-least so far.

New User
slik2o2
0 Kudos

I've had this problem also and wasn't sure what the problem was. Every time I had this problem I just did the temporary fix which was to reboot it or put it to sleep and turning it back on. It really got annoying today during reading so I installed a app to test the multi-touch screen. It was registering a touch without me touching it like I thought, but after taking a closer look at the spot where it was registering, I could see my fingerprint. The problem stopped after wiping it. I tested it on other spots and it was the same, every spot that was "ghost touching" had a fingerprint mark on there.

The screen is way too sensitive. I hope there will be a way to address this problem in the future. For now, instead of touching with the inside part of my finger, I just use the other side whenever I can. I hope this helps someone.

New User
rakawhi
0 Kudos

The same thing is happening on mine.  I just found something in the User Guide that might be relevant:

Tips and Troubleshooting

Solving Problems

The screen is acting as though I'm tapping on it, even though I am not.

If your screen is dirty, it might detect touches when none are occurring.  This problem can occur on any touchscreen devices.  Wait until your NOOKcolor has timed out and the screen is dark.  Then wipe the screen clean with a soft, dry cloth.

Contributor
ready2rest
0 Kudos

I have this problem as well.  I turn it off and back on which works for awhile. I deregistered and that worked for a few days.  Very frustating !!  Thank goodness I still have my old nook to go to, when I'm stuck in a good book and it goes crazy it drives me nuts.

Contributor
ready2rest
0 Kudos

I have this issue as well,  It doesn't matter what book I'm reading

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Take the above advise and clean your screens.

New User
litlmiss
0 Kudos

Have tried wiping a couple times, but the screen regularly freaks out. It's happened in multiple environments: trains, planes, different rooms, different temperatures and levels of humidity, etc. It won't even be a matter of entering into a new environment. Sometimes it'll be fine for an hour, then start to freak out.

Feel like it's been freaking out more frequently as of late, but that could just be a matter of perception because I'm also using it more often.

Doubt that a replacement would be much different.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Not wiping it a couple of time. CLEANING it.

Look at the screen at an angle when it is in 'sleep' mode or shut off. Is it full of fingerprints?

New User
StinkySQL
0 Kudos

I bought my wife her NC for Xmas and NEVER had an issue. We have also been running the 1.1.0 software for some time so there are no significant changes goin on. The issue you describe has been intermittent. More significant in the cool mornings, less likely to occur in the afternoon until today. Now it happened twice and both times required a reboot-and-wait period. Normally it was just clicking the middle button that stopped it.

I do trouble-shooting of hardware/software systems for a living and to me this "effect" that we see is a software runaway condition brought upon by a marginal hardware input. The way I see the Wife's system is that the hardware is fading, causing the issue more frequently and more severely. That's why some people replace their Nooks and its all better, and some just have the same problem. Either way, it seems that the problem will creep back in until they stabilize the hardware or put an smarter input filtering cap on the software.

One more thing, a lot of folks mention the "left side" of the device. We note it on that side also, although my wife is left-handed :smileywink:

SS

New User
ClaryHildebrand
0 Kudos

I just bought a NC last night. The very first thing the sucker did to me was SHOCK me when I plugged it into my wall to charge. While it was plugged in, the keyboard would put in extra letters while I was trying to register. Very annoying, I am glad they had a show password option otherwise I would have been pulling my hair out.

Everything was fine after I unplugged it, and then I started surfing facebook and when I tried to zoom into the webpage to read the tiny font, it would suddenly jump into shop mode, as if I'd shut the browser, and I'd have to reload the web, go back to the website, and as soon as I tried to zoom again, BAM! Shop mode. Over and over again until I gave up. I finally started reading a (really badly written, it was free) book, and around page  12 or 13 it suddenly started running through pages and the blue scroll menu would pop up, disappear, and whenever I'd try to stop it, it wouldn't respond to my touch. So I set it down on the couch next to me and watched it and it ran all the way to the end of the book. I hit the home button, tried to go into settings, and it kept running through the settings. So I cleaned the screen off, and tried again. Same thing, it started running through the book. I cleaned it again, it ran through a different book. I finally gave up because it was time to put my kids to bed anyway. I let my son look through a picture book on it, and it tried to skip a couple pages but wasn't acting too terrible. By the time he was asleep and I got in bed and tried to read on it again, it was behaving just fine. I'm not sure what's going on with it, but the shocking thing worried me for sure.

Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

That is totally unacceptable.  Can you take it in to a B&N for a replacement? 

New User
Jaunx
0 Kudos

There is a simple app to fix this issue:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.assid.android.nookrecalibrate

Unfortunately you need to root (voiding warranty) your Nook Color in order to run this fix.  But since B&N's "fix" for this issue is to turn your device back on and off, their warranty doesn't appear to amount to a hill of beans anyway.

This issue has plagued Nook Color devices since their release and B&N has done nothing to address the issue.  The least they could do is add a recalibration utility so people didn't have to risk their warranty to make their device function properly.