Frequent Contributor
rfbarr
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color is acting out

[ Edited ]

I have several different videos proving the malfunction.  One of them is over 10 mins long and shot in 1080i HD

I recorded them because when I went to try and get a replacement they told me if they could not replicate the issue they may decide to charge me for the replacement.  That was very disconcerting to me.

I am getting another unit soon.  I am hoping it is brand new.  I read something about refurbished being given out.  I figure at this point in time though they don't have any refurbished stock because it is such a new product.

I like the nook so far.  I have not been in love with deal with Barns & Nobels customer service at this point. 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

@rfbarr,

We are investigating this, but if you put NOOKcolor to sleep and then wake it up it should stop.  If not, try a reboot.

FYI.

Frequent Contributor
rfbarr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Already been though all of that.  Putting it to sleep, rebooting, shutting it down and letting it rest, restoring factory settings several times.  It will just do it again once you start using it again.  I tried to take it back to a store but the manager could have cared less.  His response was "huh others don't have that problem."  He would not exchange or return it.  He would however let me buy a whole another nook at full price if I like...

I talked to the phone service a few times.  They are frustrating because you try and talk to them and the colloquial differences add up quick.  Making it hard to clearly communicate an issue with them.  They eventually said they are sending me a new one.  Should be here tomorrow.  (That call was made last Wednesday.)

I don't like how B&N threatens to make me pay for the replacement if you can't replicate the issue.  That really really upsets me.  I paid for an extended warranty.  I could have dunked the thing in water and you would have replaced it no problem.  An issue you have created in the device though may not be covered if you can't easily replicate it.  Needless to say returning the device and trying to troubleshoot the problem has been a nightmare.

I have been on my own basically trying to figure out if it is a hardware or software issue.  I made videos of the malfunction.  I have about 10 different ones.  One of them is very high quality 1080HD and you see me touching the screen and trying to interact with the device with no success.  No one at customer service gave a crap about the videos.  I was trying to pass them along to someone in B&N who actually cared about the device.  So they could see first hand the issue and maybe it would help them.

I like my NookColor... Only because it is the only Color e-reader.  Dealing with you as a company has not been the best experience so far.  My friend has had issue with his Kindle and his experience with their Customer Service has been head and tails better then B&N.

I appreciate your reply Michael-V and the other users into he forum.  The advice here is helpful and the discussions here are great.  If only the rest of B&N customer service was as pleasurable to deal with.

Reader 2
dmccartney
0 Kudos

I purchased a Nook Color at the B&N in Santa Monica, CA and it had this problem with the screen freaking out as well.  I exchanged it at the B&N in Manhattan Beach, CA (hoping a different store wouldn't have the same batch) and my replacement ALSO has this screen problem.

I talked to the manager at that B&N and he told me that other units had been returned for the same screen problems.

So this is obviously not a VERY limited problem.

I hope this gets fixed soon as I really like the device...  If the screen flakiness gets fixed, I'll be happy.

Contributor
jianglai
0 Kudos

I got my first NC in NYC and it was havin this problem. I think the root of the problem is that when you place you finger on the screen and HOLD, it thinks you a CLICKING REPEATEDLY. So say you want to unlock the screen, you have to DRAG the little bar to the green dot, during which your finger never should leave the screen, but it still think your fingers are tapping quickly, therefore releasing the bar back to the left before it can hit the green dot. Another prominent example is when the keyboard pops up and you can try to HOLD letter "n". What should happen is the keyboard knows you are holding and after a few second a new window pops up to show you an "n" with a little tilde on it. That's how you type in a letter with accent. But instead my keyboard with think I'm continuously typing "n", and what I get is a bunch of "n"s in the input area and I can see the "n" key under my finger is flashing, telling me that it's being tapped, not held. Anyway I wen to a Philly store to have it replaced. I tested the new one in the store and it was working without any problem. But when I got home and charge it, the problem occurred and was even worse, I now have the "random" tapping that some of you reported. So not only does the screen think I'm tapping when I'm actually hold, it thinks I tap on somewhere else! Howevern when I unplugged it all the problems went away. I can replicate it every time I plug it. Anyway I'm calling the manager now and see what he can say. I really hope it's a software problem but since its symptom are different on two machines (always happens vs. only when charging) I doubt a firmware update can fix it.

Contributor
GreksLost
0 Kudos

Rebooting and resting do help the problem temporarily but not always. Also, i can't say that I'm thrilled to be resetting my device 3-4 times during a period of an hour in order to read something.  The reason that I started this thread was to see if this was a large scale problem or was it just me.  It sounds like this is enough of a problem to warrant tech support and an update.

Frequent Contributor
davedesrosiers
0 Kudos

I just posted a topic named For Michael-V and the Community. Check it out. Its all about this issue. If we can get a big enough uproar, hopefully we can get some results. 

Contributor
jianglai
0 Kudos

Just an update. I went to the store and had my NC changed again. The emplyee tried himself and agreed that it's not possible to use when charging due to the touch screen issue. It took him long enough to convince the 800 CSR that it's a defective unit and get authorization to change it for me (because it's the second time I've asked for a replace, the first one has the issus even when not charging). Also the CSR admitted that they've been receive similar reports multiple times. This time I tested my new unit both plugged and unplugged and there seems no problem so far. I'll been using it for a couple of days to see what happened. To my opinion, it's NOT a software or firmware issue since some unit simply doesn't have the problem.

Reader 2
dmccartney
0 Kudos

I just posted a new message about the Bloomberg News review of the Nook Color which mentions the screen flakiness:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/Bloomberg-News-Nook-Color-Screen-...

The article in question is: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-02/color-nook-one-ups-kindle-in-e-reader-battle-rich-jaroslovs...

Cheers!

New User
ecb1171
0 Kudos

I've got the exact same issue.  It gets resolved by putting the nook to sleep and waking it back up, but it happens enough that it makes it impossible to make it through a book without having to put the device to sleep and wake it up at least once.

I think that the underlying issue is lag.  Once theere are more screen taps/presses than the Nook can respond to it gets into the freaked out state. 

I thought that, perhaps, I just had a bad Nook so I got it replaced but I'm seeing the same behavior on a 2nd device.  To me, this is all software related so it can be fixed via a firmware upgrade. 

However, the Nook is almost unusable to me so I'm planning on returning it.

Another note, getting the Nook replaced was the most unpleasant electronics return I've ever  gone through.  I had to literly try and convince the manager that my Nook was having issues before she contacted someone else to confirm that the Nook could be replaced.  Knowing that I was going to return/replace the device  Ihad wiped my Nook (i.e. unlkinked my account from the device) and she proceeded to chastize me for doing so because she was convinced that if she couls see the problem someone there could have resolved it.  She also thought that the problem may have been caused by the fact that I turned the Nook off as opposed to putting it to sleep.  When I asked her why this would make a differnce and asking if this behavior would impact battery life she had no answers saying that she was just relaying what she was told.  Yet, somehow, she was going to solve a techical issue with the Nook.

The Nook Color is a fantastic device with half baked software. I'm sure that after the first firmware update  it will resolve most of the issues. However, I'm not willing to have to put my device to sleep and wake it up in order to simply get through a book. 

The customer service at Barnes and Noble, on the other hand, it very poor.  I've never had any issues replacing or returning a device within the return period (15 or 30 days) and getting a replacment Nook was far more difficult than it should have been.

I'm anticipating having to fight to actualy return the Nook Color and get a refund so I took video of the Nook Color freaking out.  The fact that I have to do that is rediculous and I don't plan on buying another electronics prodcut from Barnes And Noble again. 

In case any Barnes And Noble reps actualy read this message board, I purchased the Nook from the following store:

Barns & Noble Store #2086 and the manager that gave horrible customer support was Carol M

Frequent Contributor
rfbarr
0 Kudos

@ecb1171 i had a simmilar issue.  I finally got my new nook in the mail.  With a screen protector on it has worked great so far.  I took a video also.  Stilling waiting on my old nook to arrive to B&N.

New User
ecb1171
0 Kudos

@rfbarr  I think your onto something....   I had read a few other threads that pointed to a screen protector as a resolution to the problem.  This led me to take a closer look at the screen of my Nook Color.  There was definitely some crud on the screen and once I gave the screen a good wipe down the screen acted appropriately again.  This makes some sense to me because if the performance was a poor as I had seen it some of the reviews would have picked up on it.  

Touch screens do get smudges and crap on them so I still think there is a big issue with the software accurately detecting touches but at least there is a good workaround......get a screen protector or make sure the touchscreen has absolutely no smudges or crap on it.

Contributor
terra85
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem; my Nook Color fasts forwards through pages, even when it's lying on a flat surface. I just posted on the general/main Nook message board about this problem. Unlike the YouTube video posted, my Nook does not have the pop-up screen popping up all the time--it fast forwards seamlessly, as if someone was pressing to go forward. Nonetheless, this problem sounds like it's not so isolated. I hope it's the software and not faulty hardware that's causing this problem. It's really unacceptable that B&N is reluctant to replace malfunctioning Nooks and threatens to charge people for a new unit if they can't replicate a problem that is intermittent but negatively impacts use of the device. I haven't contacted customer service yet; hopefully the negative encounters with B&N store managers is isolated and not a widespread anti-customer policy. I'm going to contact someone at B&N and see about replacing my Nook Color. Maybe this problem would be "acceptable" for an off-brand budget ereader purchased at a drugstore, but for a $250 device--no way. $250 is a lot of money to me (and many others, I'm sure).

Frequent Contributor
salbenn
0 Kudos

I have been on this post twice.  My first NC had run away pages.  After 2 days on tech support and checking the discussion group I took it back.  I got a new NC that worked fine for 12 days.  On the 13th day it freaked out and skipped 20- 30 pages.  I decided to go back to BN and talk to someone about it. 

The people at the store did not know that there was a problem.  They had me talk to tech support on the phone. They admitted that there was a problem but that clearing the device, deregistration and restoring would fix the problem.  I told them that I had already done those things and that it did not work.  All I wanted to know was, is this a software issue or a hardware issue.  They could not tell me.  Tech support told me that returns were based on the original date plus 14 days for a return.  They advised me that only a store manager could decide to except a return after 14 days or not.  They let me return the device.  In my world I can not get stuck with a $300.00 lemon.  I will wait for the next generation with the problems worked out.  I was very sad because I really loved it. 

PJQ
Reader
PJQ
0 Kudos

I've made some observations regarding the  TouchScreen "Freakng Out". 

1.  Freaking out while charging is somewhat expected and probably has to due with a grounding issue.  Since the Touchscreen is capacitive and not pressure sensitive the User and device must be properly grounded.  When a user is holding the device they are both grounded.  When the device is plugged in the ground loop becomes much different.

2.  I've also noticed that my device needs time to warm up.  If the device is on the table and the room is a cool 65 degrees, once the device powers on i notice the touch screen feels 'wet' as if there is condensation on it.  There really isn't any condensation it is just the temperature difference between the cold glass and my warm hands.  The interaction of the two seem to leave small 'wet' spots where I touched it. 

Cleaning the display and giving it time to 'warm up' seem to help.  but it is very frustrating and dangerous.     I"ve had the device delete email messages while web browsing and almost make book purchases I did not want.   I am going to try a screen protector to see if that creates some insulation "Fingers crossed"

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

Mine did the same thing for the first time last night. I was browsing the Web, and suddenly the browser started to go forward/back and zooming in and out on it's own. Couldn't use any soft buttons or gestures, and had to do a reboot using the power button. For what it's worth, the temp in the room was probably about 50 degrees, so definitely colder than its normal environment.

Correspondent
htbyron
0 Kudos

This happened to me for the first time a couple of days ago, and I attributed it to cold temps.  I was using it outside in about 30-degree weather while commuting.  It worked fine for a while, then the screen just went nuts and started flipping pages nonstop.  I put it to sleep and put it away, then took it out again after I had been inside for a while (and both the NC and I were warmer).  All was well then.  I wonder if the cold weather caused some contraction of parts that made an electrical connection that threw off the screen. 

Reader 2
Lizzyland
0 Kudos

I thought I was the only one to get, as I called it, a possessed nookcolor. I returned it one week after buying it for a new one. I'd reset it, I'd done everything. What was really fun to watch was when it played suduko by itself. And I wasn't touching it.

My second one has been tons better and the only time it's skipped pages have been things like people have said, grazing the edges accidently. Or a big on for me is when I'm reading a tense book (thriller) I tend to fist my hand over my mouth and end up changing pages with the warm air that way.

So I think there are some ncs that are just plain possessed and the rest are just sensitive.

I love my 2nd one though! First one I thought would drive me batty!

New User
bbtheory
0 Kudos

I am having the same issues with my new Nook Color, screen flakes out at least once a day if not more. The problem is unnerving as the Nook navigates itself and goes in and out of different screens all by itself. Putting to sleep will sometimes fix the problem but more often I have to do a complete reboot of the Nook by holding the power button down till it shuts off, then powering it on normally. This is occurring with the charger unplugged and in a room at normal temperature...

Should I return this unit or wait for a Firmware fix????

New User
skoreansoul
0 Kudos

I bought my NOOKcolor yesterday and immediately noticed the problem, so I gave B&N customer service a call and got some b*s about it being a "feature" to protect the device when the battery is less than 20% charged. So I charged it to 100% and gave it a reboot before testing the device once again.

Result? Same sporadic and unresponsive touchscreen problems - most notably on the lockscreen (difficult to unlock, requires multiple tries) and when typing something (random key clicks when trying to type). If you are still under the return policy, I say return it and keep returning it until you get a NOOKcolor that works (that is, until you're finally p*ssed off at the shoddy quality of these devices). I would not wait for a new firmware update. When I asked the customer service rep, he said that there would not be a new update until early next year which is way beyond my refund date. Also, given that B&N itself has no idea whether this is a hardware issue (not fixable by firmware update) or a software issue (fixable by firmware update), there is no guarantee that the new firmware update would resolve this problem.

Conclusion? Again, go return your device before your refund period is over and keep returning it till you get a working NOOKcolor (someone on the forum got a satisfactory one after multiple replacements). Don't wait bet on the firmware update. I'm going to give it one more day of testing before I return it to the store for a new NOOKcolor. I paid $250+ for this thing, no way I'm going to wait for a "replacement" from B&N which would probably be a refurbished device anyway.