Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

Same issue here with run away pages.  Each time it's happened my thumb was just protruding over the edge of the side onto the page.  Seems at some times the screen is over sensative and other times it's not lol.

Most likely a lot of the current issues will be fixed with the next updates as they were with the regular nook.

I've had my CNook for a week now and have noticed little updates here and there in various places.

Inspired Correspondent
njnookman
0 Kudos

Inspired Correspondent
njnookman

BN implemented the side-touch gesture as an alternate page-turning mechanism to overcome a human factors issue.  It is NOT a bug, it is a very USEFUL feature.

Other tablets require the table to be held in one hand, while the other finger swipes across the page to turn it.  This finger swipe, plus the tablet's own weight, acts as the downward force on a lever, with the fulcrum being the joint of the third finger.  After a while -- this hurts!

NC, however, allows the use to hold it in BOTH hands, and simply touch the screen withing the first 1/4 inch of space to turn that page.  A deliberate tap gesture with one's thumb in this space, anywhere on the edge, will, and should, turn the page.

Obviously, if you let your thumb hover over that space, lightly touching the screen, it WILL queue up several page turns.  Please rest the thumb on the side rail, or on the cover if you have something like a Vasco or Soho trifold cover. 

Contributor
anieb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

njnookman,

Nonsense.

I bought one today and I find it stunning for its images and the things it does well.  I had not planned to get one but it was pretty impressive.

However, with warm hands, this reader is oversensitive.  There is no reason I should be on page 9 and then suddenly on page 63.

And when I type a letter into the keyboard I shouldn't suddenly see another page altogether show up (this happened about 3 times at the B&N store too and we were both puzzled by it).  But other pages suddenly appearing out of nowhere in a situation like this, that's a problem. 

I plan to keep this reader since I love the access to nat'l geo which i am trying out, and I think the monthly charge is very decent for that.  But the touchscreen  is altogether too sensitive and should have a sensitivity setting.

I have a 'light touch' so this is a bit over the top.  It happens in the magazine too.  And it varies (is inconsistent), because sometimes a touch does NOT do anything and if you make it VERY firm, then it works ('back' options usually but it happens on a few screen buttons).

A workaround on oversensitive page-turn events:  they can give us the option of not using page-turn taps but use swiping only.

Or they can have an option to lower sensitivity of the touchscreen.

As for the charger-time typing, there should be a B&N insert telling people not to try to register or set a WiFi password when the unit is charging.

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

Lizzyland wrote:

I thought I was the only one to get, as I called it, a possessed nookcolor.

haha. That's exactly what I thought, too. Did yours also keep bringing up the keyboard and self-typing, "666"? :smileysurprised:

Contributor
crybbchub

if your touchscreen is freaking out, make sure you wipe your screen... It's sensitive to finger prints... ( FYI: sensitive to heat also)

- If this doesn't work, yeah go ahead and perform erase and restore factory settings ( you can find this under device info)

-if this doesn't work.. then perform a factory fallback on the device--- hold the power button and the horse shoe button below the nookclor at the same time for 15-20 seconds and turn it on again..

if it still doesn't work, then go ahead and have it replaced

NOOkaholic Anonymous

New User
vman44
0 Kudos

ok i'm glad i'm not the only one having this problem  hope they fix it soon

Contributor
Pathfinder_12
0 Kudos

Yeah it's a nice product...BUT I call and say it's totally unusable when plugged in and the guy tells me that's "normal" (his words) until they come up with some software update in the next couple of months??? I was like what????  I'm an electrical engineering student and I’m thinking charging circuit (hardware problem)….?

Inspired Contributor
BanjoBen
0 Kudos

@pathfinder_12. I had the same problem. Turns out, it's a charger issue. I took mine in and tried it out on their chargers and it worked flawlessly. I plugged into my charger to show them what it was doing and I couldn't even slide to unlock. A short call to customer service later and I have a replacement charger on the way. A lot of other people on here have had the same issue but B&N will take care of it.
New User
Not-2-Liberal
0 Kudos

I just surfed in looking for any signs of a software glitch affecting Nook Color and after reading the post about sensitivity and fingerprints I said ahah.  I'm a photographer so I pulled out a microfiber lens cloth I had at hand and wiped it down and sure enough that was all it was.

Mine was not able to be shut down, did not respond the button or assorted swipes I had seen posted elsewhere and there was no way of deregistering it because a nicely placed fingerprint kept cycling things like changing the wallpaper over and over and thumbing through books.

The only thing that was needed was a simple wipe down with a good lens or screen cloth.

Not underwhelmed at all but I'd recommend the cloth and a case preferably kept together :smileyhappy:

Same thoughts with the 3G.

New User
SMaDimc
0 Kudos

i'm on my second NC.  same page flipping, menu popping, unresponsiveness mentioned by so many others even when lying flat on it's own without me touching it at all.  will be returning this one too. it's been a disappointing experience.

Reader 2
rjmeyer
0 Kudos

I had this problem, too.  I read in another thread that a user was advised to clean off the screen and turn the power off.  It's worked fine ever since.

Contributor
DarthNook
0 Kudos

I had a problem when the “Nook” charger was plugged in, the screen would become over sensitive “Freaked out Screen”. It made the Nook impossible to use while plugged in. I called tech support and they first had me restore the Nook to factory settings which did not solve the issue. I found out some of the chargers or cables cause electronic vibrations in the touch screen and they will send you out a new one. I went to the B&N store and they gave me new one to try and it corrected the problem. Also, remember to keep the screen clean. One side note, the orange “N” finally turns green when fully charged.

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

I don't have a NC yet. But I actually think this may not be B & N fault but a problem with the Android OS itself. I have a Droid Incredible phone and does the same thing. All of a sudden will just randomly scroll and jump around. 

In searching for some remedies I've see several Droid forums reporting the same thing with other phones. Something with Android 2.1+ it seems.

New User
JanetCA
0 Kudos

I just got my 2nd NC, the first one wouldn't hold a charge.  I was reading and the screen started to dim and would flash back to its original color and this would go on and off several times.  Then all of a sudden the screen went white and then shut off, came on, and went back 25 chapters.  I guess I'll have to take it back and get a Kindle instead.  Too many bugs with the NC and I shouldn't have to play with it to get it to work.

Contributor
cjohnson
0 Kudos

My NOOKcolor seems possessed!  I've had this issue with many different books--pages turning by themselves, menus popping up, etc.  Today, I even "bought" a book I didn't want without realizing it or even looking at the book's details--I happen to see it in my library later in the day (hope I get a refund :smileyhappy:  Restarting seems to help, but is very irritating.  Now I've password protected my purchases--which I now highly recommend due to this "freak out" issue.

bn.com is also very slow and/or unresponsive--I haven't been able to access my "ebook library" all day.

I hope Barnes & Noble can figure out the fixes for these issues soon!

Reader
rakess70
0 Kudos

Having the same issue.  Plugged in the unit is freaking out I can hold down the delete button and it fills the screen with letters.  unplugged is fine.  Also noticed that the charger heats up a lot when charging.  Will go tot B&N and see what they will do to replace charger. 

New User
Torr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have gotten this a few times.  It seems to do it to me when it is  cold.  If I turn it on in the early morning and try to use it right away it will do the full freak out.  My house is set at 65 during the night.

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

My CN is possessed as well. Started a couple days ago. Happens on different books and unplugged. Screen has been cleaned. I'm just holding it in my hand flat and the nook flips pages or highlights words definitions. No change in temperature. No breathing on it. So far the temporary fix is to push the power button to sleep mode and turn it right back on. Last time however, the nook worked correctly only for a few minutes before acting up again. Is there a better way to clean the oil off the screen then just a damp anti-static cloth. Anyone tried breaking the rule before returning the Nook and using alcohol to clean it and see if that clears up the problem. My current on-going major issues: 1) Screen going crazy. 2) Poor PDF support. Unit is going back for a full refund around the 15th if I don't hear some good news.
Frequent Contributor
salbenn
0 Kudos

Do not loose hope!  I returned my first two NC's that were purchased at BN.  I got one for Xmas that was the last one on the shelf at Best Buy and it is perfect.  I do know that my Best Buy got there shipment a lot later than they got to the BN stores.  Could there be a connection?