New User
cnardell
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

I had this problem. I contacted Nook support via online chat. They went through the whole factory reset routine. It didn't help. They then advised me that my Nook needed to be replaced.

There is not a Barnes and Noble withing 50 miles of me (believe it or not), so I decided to live with it for a while until I could get to a Barnes and Noble. The thing that I found worked 100% of the time was cleaning the screen with Windex. When I did this and got it perfectly clean, the problem went away. I have since added an anti-glare screen protector, and the Nook has been working perfectly since.

New User
cnardell
0 Kudos

How do you "root" a Nook? When I try to access this utility, the Android market keeps saying that I don't have any Android phones associated with this account.

Contributor
txlonestar
0 Kudos

I had this exact problem this morning. I have OS ver 1.2.0 and doing a shutdown/restart fixed it.
New User
rhondav
0 Kudos

Hello.

I just read this post because my NC started freaking out today. I have had it since Thanksgiving 2010.

I have had a screen protector on it since I purchased it. It is not any help. Still double letters... The weirdest thing I ever seen.

New User
byrnook
0 Kudos

Mine acts possessed too. On more than one occasion.  To me, it seems like some phantom is "driving" the nook haphazardly, OR it is "remembering" (despite being turned off and recharged and the like) being touched when it wasn't on or still process being touched from the use before.

I usually turn it off and back on, and that works, but it keeps happening. And has happened often enough (sometimes zooming in and out and in and out and not letting me scroll) that I have thought about going to the BN store.

What do you think? Glad I'm not the only one. Thought maybe my kid had touched it too much (he's gentle, but he does do puzzles and the drawing app on there).

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Clean the screen. Fingerprints and gunk build up,

I use IClear and and a microfiber lens cloth regularly.

New User
rickpalmer
0 Kudos

my nc is doin the run away page thing too n im not sure how im suppose to hanndle this

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Hey rickpalmer,

Have you tried cleaning your screen at all? A lot of times smudges and debris can throw off the NC from properly registering user input.

If you're still having issues after trying that, feel free to send me a PM with your serial number & email, and I'll get together with CS for you.

Hope this helps!

-Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
New User
MrC007

Thank you for starting this topic, GreksLost.  I'm an android app developer with a fair amount of science experience, and I use my Nook to test my apps on the android hardware.  On one piece of software that draws a circle at a location touched on the screen, I see several dots appear in random locations throughout the screen.  There are often as many as 6 to 8 of these points that are "touched" simultaneously", and it is very reproducable.

Bear with me on 2 quick points:

1.) Doing a bit of research into charging problems the Nook has, I found that the stock charging wire has several ground wires, in addition to the expected signal connections.  If these wires bend and break because they are too stiff and don't have correct strain relief, they cause slow charging (Ohm's law).

2.) At the same time, the type of screen the Nook uses would be sensitive to ground exceptions.  I notice that my Nook's screen is acting up badly now as fall begins and the humidity drops, causing increases in static electricity (Think lightening clouds bearing static charges... and the screen as that cloud).  This should be alleviated by proper grounding.  The static may also be discharged very temporarily by restarting the device, something we see here as a temporary fix.

The bottom line, I would suggest, is that the design and/or build of this device may not have successfully grounded for these issues, and we are seeing the results in these 2 areas (static on the screen and slow charging).  Probably has to be the hardware fix, not software since averaging over the screen to reduce false hits will also reduce sensitivity to the true signal..

I do hope they fix it, because as others have said here... otherwise I quite like the device.

Reader
jsandoval82
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touch Screen Freaking Out

Try unplugging the charger if you are going to use the keyboard.  There is a wiring problem with the Nook colors when they are plugged in and will give you extra letters while charging.   

New User
rogrocket
0 Kudos

As I can see, I am not alone with my Nook problems.   I have had the following problems:

click on the right of the screen > display goes back one page instead of forward

click on the right of the screen > the screen displays a highlighted word and sometimes goes into a crazy mode where the highlighting jumps around the screen.  When that happens, I have to turn my Nook off and the back on again to get it to settle down.

click on the right of the screen > nothing happens. Have to click several times to get the page to turn.

Sometimes, my Nook responds when I move my body (such as on the subway) and anything can happen but usually it skips pages and I have to find my place again in the book.

The Nook is an annoying reader.  It is too sensitive to be used casually with confidence.  My other issue with the Nook is the way the shelves and book lists were designed to work and how they look.  In my opinion, the look is a major turn off.  I also dislike the B&N shopping screens so much that I don't buy books there anymore.  I found it surprising that B&N has such bad suggestions for books.  I have ended up with three books I don't like and I can't delete them.  So, I now get books on recommendation from a local independent bookstore that works through Google.

New User
michelledotart
0 Kudos

I got my nook color about two months ago. A few weeks ago I'm having the problem you all have described. My hands are not even close to the screen.  I have a leather case, and the cover folds under, so usually I'm craddling my nook while I read with two layers of leather underneath.  It still acts all wonky.  I can't say I'm pleased with this product by any means.  I may just resort back to my more than reliable iPad to read ebooks.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

michelledotart wrote:

I got my nook color about two months ago. A few weeks ago I'm having the problem you all have described. My hands are not even close to the screen.  I have a leather case, and the cover folds under, so usually I'm craddling my nook while I read with two layers of leather underneath.  It still acts all wonky.  I can't say I'm pleased with this product by any means.  I may just resort back to my more than reliable iPad to read ebooks.

That is not normal nook behavior. Try cleaning your screen. If that does not help you can P.M. AdministratorBN_AlexG, go to your local B&N or call customer service, do not e mail.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Michelle, a good first thing to try is to clean the screen carefully with a soft cloth and a screen cleaner (I use a product called Klear for all of my LCD screens.  If I'm not at the house, I clean the screen much like I do my glasses, by fogging it with my breath and wiping the condensation off.) 

Lots of folks have reported issues when charging and using the nook at the same time. 

Some folks find a full power cycle helps - hold power ~20 seconds, ignore the "do you want to shut down?" dialog and the device powers on.  Hold power in around 5 seconds, the screen 'pulses' and the device starts up.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader
HavaLyon
0 Kudos

I am very frustrated right now. I received a Nook Simple Touch this past Tuesday as an early Christmas gift. We tried to log onto our WiFi connection with it, and the screen kept freaking out. It would flash strangely, and at one point, 3/4 of the screen went blank. This was straight out of the box. We decided that I must have gotten a lemon, and so I packed it back into the box to return it. My fiance said that I could pick out another reader if I wanted to, and after doing some research, I decided to upgrade to a Color Nook.

I bought the Color Nook online so I could get a refurbished one, and brought the Simple Touch back to my local store and got my money back. I was so excited when my Color Nook arrived in the mail!! I've done nothing but play with it ever since.

Well, it's not even been a week yet, and the thing is freakin' possessed. I have it sitting next to me, and as I am typing this post on my laptop, I am watching the screen just go bananas. Bullcrap that it's my touch setting it off, or my breath, or the temperature change, or smudged fingerprints (I read through this whole thread) because I am not touching it, I am not breathing on it, it hasn't gone outside since I received it in the mail and my house is set at the same temperature night and day, and I have cleaned the screen MULTIPLE times (I have glasses so I know how to clean screens).

I have rebooted it and it "fixes" the problem...for as long as an hour, but this last time, when I rebooted it, it literally started freaking out again as soon as the screen came on. I am not charging it when it happens - it just goes crazy and there's not a darn thing I can do about it.

I am frustrated, if you can't tell. My local B&N doesn't have refurbished units, so I don't know what'll happen tomorrow when I try to return this. I am WELL within the refund period, but because it's a refurbished item...

Also, I have it set to go to sleep after 15 minutes of non-use, and I haven't touched it for at least the last 30. But, it's just as awake as ever because it thinks I'm touching the screen. It's like the poltergiest over here - I told my fiance that it's my new entertainment, because I sure as h*ll can't read anything on it, I might as well watch the screen goes nuts.

I'll report back tomorrow on what my local B&N says - if they give me crap, I'm not going to be real nice about it though. They were great about taking back my Simple Touch, so here's hoping!

New User
blessedinNC
0 Kudos

I just received a NOOK Tablet, and I thought the touch screen was too sensitive, as well.  HOWEVER, after letting it charge to 100%, it worked perfectly fine AFTER  UNPLUGGING THE POWER CORD.  It does not like to be touched while the adapter is plugged into the unit. It is working perfectly fine, now and I've used it for the past four hours!!! :smileywink:.

Hope this helps.

New User
desjss
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would like to add my name to the list of unhappy NC purchasers.  I purchased a reconditioned one for my daughter for Christmas and I have to keep appologizing for getting her such a lousy gift.  It constantly freaks out with random touches.  Shutting it down works, but that is hardly a professional solution.

Very interesting that the android market has a fix (see recalibration link above), but not the 3rd rate company which markets the thing. 

New User
michelledotart
0 Kudos

Hi geatdanemomDT! Thank you for your reply, and I followed your advice. One month has passed and it is still acting crazy. I'll be reading then suddenly it flips forward to the end of the book and there's no "back button" to get me back to the spot in the book. Cleaning the screen has only helped for a short period of time, then it just Goes back to what it was - haywire. Thank you for the suggestions though.

New User
michelledotart
0 Kudos

Hello rousatbout and thank you as well for your suggestions.  None of them have helped - perhaps temporarily (an hour or two) but nothing more permanent. I don't read while charging, I clean the screen all the time thinking the fingerprints are an issue, I power it on and off completely every night. I guess I'm just stuck with a very expensive but useless gadget.

New User
LeAnnInMtta
0 Kudos

Nook locked up on me tonight while I was using it.  It's fully charged, so not charging when it happened. Screen went blank, light blue, soft light reflecting on screen.  Can't turn it on or off.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!