Reply
Contributor
GreksLost
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-06-2009
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

I've waited to see if this problem pops up on the boards, but really haven't seen it addressed in a dedicated thread.  The touchscreen on my nook color keeps going crazy.  I first noticed it when I would try and play the crossword puzzle and after a few answers the game would just start scrolling through the puzzle.  But the truly troublesome part is when it starts rapidly shuffling through pages of the book that I'm reading or randomly selecting words on the page that I am currently on.  Sometimes it does the opposite and the touchscreen doesn't even respond to actual gestures.  I have turned the nook off, then on.  I have rested it.  I have also reset and deregistered the device.  They work with varying degrees of temporary relief.  I assume that this is a software glitch and not a hardware issue.  My reasoning is that restarting can act as a very temporary solution.  I have heard that a planned software update is coming in January.  But I can't be the only one with this issue.  If not then this is a major impediment to even reading a book.  That being said I am hoping that this issue gets addressed in the next few weeks.

Reader
ALTeacher
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-24-2010

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

I have had the same issue with my NC.  So far I have been underwhelmed by this device. 

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
Posts: 993
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out


ALTeacher wrote:

I have had the same issue with my NC.  So far I have been underwhelmed by this device. 


I had the same problem once. It occured because I wiped the screen too hard and it left a lasting impression.  It's supersensitive to touch.

 

Other than that i really do love the NC, my big issue is not having 3g. I've gotten so spoiled with the classic nook. I don't know if I should keep the NC or not.

Frequent Contributor
mareofearth
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎11-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

Mine has done this once or twice - each time I found that one of my fingers was just barely grazing the touchscreen.

Insanity doesn't run in my family, it gallops.
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
Posts: 1,064
Registered: ‎04-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out


GreksLost wrote:

I've waited to see if this problem pops up on the boards, but really haven't seen it addressed in a dedicated thread.  The touchscreen on my nook color keeps going crazy.  I first noticed it when I would try and play the crossword puzzle and after a few answers the game would just start scrolling through the puzzle.  But the truly troublesome part is when it starts rapidly shuffling through pages of the book that I'm reading or randomly selecting words on the page that I am currently on.  Sometimes it does the opposite and the touchscreen doesn't even respond to actual gestures.  I have turned the nook off, then on.  I have rested it.  I have also reset and deregistered the device.  They work with varying degrees of temporary relief.  I assume that this is a software glitch and not a hardware issue.  My reasoning is that restarting can act as a very temporary solution.  I have heard that a planned software update is coming in January.  But I can't be the only one with this issue.  If not then this is a major impediment to even reading a book.  That being said I am hoping that this issue gets addressed in the next few weeks.


Do you by any chance have your NOOK color plugged into the charger when this happens?

 

Several of us have noticed that at least initially, when you try to enter data into the touchscreen while the NC is charging, you end up getting double letters and other weirdness.

 

That all goes away if the NC is not attached to the charger.

 

 

---------
Don
Contributor
GreksLost
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-06-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

No I don't usually use it when its charging. This happens at any time.

Contributor
Pathfinder_12
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎11-25-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

Yeah happend to me when the charger was plugged in and gave me double letters etc but stoped when unplugged

Contributor
HenryW
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎11-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

I had similar experience with the touch screen.  Several times while I was reading an ebook or in the web browser the cursor would jump all over the place uncontrollably.  I had to reset the device and often times the reset would go into a loop.  It would reset itself several times by itself which is really annoying.  The only way to get out of that is to leave the device power off for a period of time then it goes back to normal.  Is this a software glitch or do I have a bad hardware?

Contributor
GreksLost
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-06-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

Near as I can guess its software. 

Frequent Contributor
salbenn
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎11-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

 The problem of run-away pages has frustrated me as the first time it happened the pages turned all the way to the end of the book. It has taken me several days to figure out what was happening and replicate the action. If your finger rest on the outside edge of the page (just inside the plastic frame) the page can run away from you.

Your finger resting on the left outside of the page will take you backward. The right side of the page will take you forward. I have been talking tech support for two days and they think that it might be isolated to my nook but I do not think so. They are will replace my nook but will hold to the original 14 days to be able to return the nook. I think that I will return the nc, and purchase another one so that I can have another 14 days to determine if everything is all right. All this being said, I absolutely love the nc (NOOKcolor) and hope that I can get the run-away pages resolved. Reading at night with out a book light, no eye strain, being able to get books from the library, transfer all my files, all my books from other sources is awesome

Reader 2
styxinen
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎11-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

I have this problem at least twice a day. Originally, I thought it was a hardware issue and exchanged my Nook Color for a different model at the store. But as my new one does the exact same thing, I'm really disappointed. It tends to happen after about twenty minutes of reading. I have to stop, turned the device off, and return to reading. Like a previous poster indicated, it's a very temporary solution.

 

If I wasn't so in love with the NC, I'd have already demanded a refund. As it is, I guess I'll just wait for the software update and hope it fixes the problem.

Frequent Contributor
salbenn
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎11-27-2010

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

If you are within the 14 day return period, take it back for a replacement.  I have had run away pages and other issues and tech support was no help.  I finally found that I could make this happen in any book.  I took my nook back to the store and could make their demo act the same way.  The screen is temperature sensitive and all I have to do is lay my finger frame, close to to the edge of the screen and the pages will jump miles ahead or backward if I have my finger on the left of my screen.  I got a new replacement (with my new14 day trial period) and so far have found that it is not quite as sensitive.  I can still make the pages run if I really try but not by accident.  Hope this helps.  I really like this device and believe me I have tried them all.  No eye strain, great for movies, magazines, colored books and photos,  Can't wait for apps from B and N. 

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
Posts: 228
Registered: ‎08-28-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out

I seem to be having issues also not sure if it's a screen problem or something else.  The first thing that happened was I cleaned up my homepage to only have my news papers and the book I was reading to appear and then one day I had about 10 books from my library appear.  I removed them and sent them back to the library only to have them show up the next day.  Glitch or do I need to change a setting somewhere.  The second problem is the book I am currently reading (800+ pages) sometimes opens where I left off and sometimes it starts at the cover of the book and I have to figure out where I was.  I have started leaving bookmarks and that works but that is also an extra step I shouldn't have to do.  Anyone out there with suggestions or anything?  I love my Nookcolor and I don't want glitches.

New User
smharrin
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-29-2010
0 Kudos

Nook Color is acting out

I've had my Nook Color for about a week.  Over the last several days it has taken on a mind of its own.  It will randomly hilight words, scan pages ahead at a time, freeze, the menu will pop up, all without me even touching the screen.

 

Tech support said the issue was the book I was reading after doing a system re-start several times.  My concern is I will run into this issue with more books, making the whole ordeal unattractive to me.  I was very excited to get my Nook, but am not so impressed with my first book purchase.

 

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Frequent Contributor
salbenn
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎11-27-2010

Re: Nook Color is acting out

Yes.  I have had run away pages and tech support told me the same thing.  It is not the book you are reading.  I finally found that I could make this happen in any book.  I took my nook back to the store and could make their demo act the same way.  The screen is temperature sensitive and all I have to do is lay my finger frame, close to to the edge of the screen and the pages will jump miles ahead or backward if I have my finger on the left of my screen.  I got a new replacement (with my 14 day trial period) and so far have found that it is not quite as sensitive.  I can still make the pages run if I really try but not by accident.  Hope this helps.  If so let me know.  I really like this device and believe me I have tried them all.  No eye strain, great for movies, magazines, colored books and photos,  Can't wait for apps from B and N.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
Posts: 634
Registered: ‎01-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color is acting out

i had my nook in my car (very very cold) and when i brought it inside, i blew on it and a menu popped up!

 

Didn't touch at all, just blew. 

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Frequent Contributor
rfbarr
Posts: 42
Registered: ‎11-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color is acting out

Mine does that also.  Since day one.  I have several high quality videos showing the problem.  It does not matter what book or any of that.  I think tech support is full of crud.  My new one comes Thursday but I am thinking it will have the same problem.  It is very annoying when I am reading and pages just keep turning or menus pop up and close continuously. 

Frequent Contributor
salbenn
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎11-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color is acting out

Check out the post Nook Color Touchscreen Freaking Out on the board.  I checked out all the post for about 4 days before I decided to take my nc back for a replacement.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
Posts: 1,064
Registered: ‎04-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color is acting out


salbenn wrote:

Yes.  I have had run away pages and tech support told me the same thing.  It is not the book you are reading.  I finally found that I could make this happen in any book.  I took my nook back to the store and could make their demo act the same way.  The screen is temperature sensitive and all I have to do is lay my finger frame, close to to the edge of the screen and the pages will jump miles ahead or backward if I have my finger on the left of my screen.  I got a new replacement (with my 14 day trial period) and so far have found that it is not quite as sensitive.  I can still make the pages run if I really try but not by accident.  Hope this helps.  If so let me know.  I really like this device and believe me I have tried them all.  No eye strain, great for movies, magazines, colored books and photos,  Can't wait for apps from B and N.  :smileyhappy:


The screen is a capacitive screen.  That means, that a conductive surface to touch it with.  Your finger is conductive (electrical conductivity that is)   It literally senses that a tiny, tiny amount of power is drawn from the screen to your finger.

 

By placing your finger on the screen or really close to the screen....it thinks you're continuously hitting the screen...thus flipping pages.

 

Someone here said they could blow on their NC after bringing it in from the cold.   Again, bringing it in from the cold....moisture (which conducts electricity) condenses on the screen

and just about anything (such as blowing across it...thus drying the screen) acts like a change in the capacitance....those it senses a "touch."

 

I have zero problems with my NC as long as I keep my fingers away from the screen itself by maybe a 1/4"   I use a cover, but even just holding the NC I hold it by the middle to outside of the frame and don't have any problems.

 

But yes, if I rest my fingers almost on the screen itself (I guess I am not very conductive ;0) ) it will think it's getting lots of taps.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
Posts: 1,064
Registered: ‎04-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color is acting out

That one would be defective in my opinion, presuming, you did nothing but turn it on and bring up the book.

 

One would presume it's not sitting next to a static generating device (such as electronic air cleaner) that is causing static discarges in the nook, thus making it think it's being touched.

 

 

 

 

---------
Don