Contributor
Colfrank
0 Kudos

Nook Color & WiFi... Forget the trivia, there is a big issue

I read all these comments about resetting routers, turning on/off security and the like.

When you are travelling.... you do not have these choices.

THE ISSUE is that Nook Color WiFi has some connection problems.

Last night I was in an ER (a visitor), my Nook Color had a non-secured WiFi signal, at 54mps,

excellent signal strength.......... "Connected, but no Internet..."

Same thing in many other locations, including my own home sometimes.

B&N people.... you have a problem !!

Frequent Contributor
lilsmartie
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color & WiFi... Forget the trivia, there is a big issue

Often on a public network you need to go to the home page on a browser & OK their T&C's did you do this? I know on my mobile I need to do this at Starbucks etc.

Kate

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL

All the Nook can do is connect to a wireless access point. Internet connectivity is between the access point and the router, or the router and the service provider.

If you are connected to a wireless network but can't get to the internet, the problem isn't your Nook. It's probably, as LilSmartie said, that you have to sign in or register or accept terms of use before using the network if you're in a public place.

You may also have issues if you connect to an older Wireless N access point - companies started selling them 2 years before there was a real standard, so there can be problems. If you have to install software on your PC to use your wireless - not if it's recommended, if you actually can't connect properly without additional software - then likely this is you. There should be a firmware upgrade available for any access point like that, and you should install it. Usually in this situation your Nook would say it was connected and then disconnect, but with non-standard equipment anything can happen.

Contributor
Colfrank
0 Kudos

Your comments are true, but it does not explain why the Nook does not connect (and stay connected) at my home and my in-town apartment... both with latest generation Dlink N routers with latest firmware upgrades.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

Is it losing its wifi connection, or just its internet connection?

Taking a wild guess, is your router set up with really short DHCP leases? Sometimes the default is an hour, which is excessively short. Setting it to at least 3 days, you could even do weeks in a stable home environment, may solve your problem at home.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Colfrank, Make sure you are running SW version 1.1.0. **go to settings, Device info, My Nookcolor.

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Correspondent
DaveAvl

Colfrank wrote:

Your comments are true, but it does not explain why the Nook does not connect (and stay connected) at my home and my in-town apartment... both with latest generation Dlink N routers with latest firmware upgrades.

There was a post at Slashdot yesterday which might be relevant.  A bug has been identified in Android which results in DHCP leases not being properly renewed. This in turn causes expired IP addresses to be used, and network mayhem results.

The article is at http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/11/04/19/0330216/Bug-Forces-Android-Devices-Off-Princeton-Campus-Ne...

This is just a guess, but I'd suggest turning Wi-Fi off on the NC, or perhaps shutting the NC completely off, then re-enabling it and trying to reconnect.  Anyone else with better technical chops care to chime in?

- Dave, in Asheville

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

I've used my NC to connect to multiple WiFi spots and have not had a problem.  Recently, I made my android phone a hotspot and have not had problems with this either.   Home network is without problems as far as NC is concerned.  But whenever I change a WiFi spot I have to go to settings, wireless and wait for the connection, maybe 30 secs and then I'm connected.

For those having problems connecting at home, but not other spots, I would suggest a call to CS for your router.  I have found them to be very helpful in adjusting settings and connecting new devices.  If this does not work, then replace your router for a newer one.  Usually you get free tech help for a year.  I know this can get expensive, but in the long run, you'll save on time and headaches.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

[ Edited ]

Colfrank wrote:

I read all these comments about resetting routers, turning on/off security and the like.

When you are travelling.... you do not have these choices.

THE ISSUE is that Nook Color WiFi has some connection problems.

Last night I was in an ER (a visitor), my Nook Color had a non-secured WiFi signal, at 54mps,

excellent signal strength.......... "Connected, but no Internet..."

Same thing in many other locations, including my own home sometimes.

B&N people.... you have a problem !!

Not necessiarly.

When the NC connects to your WiFI (any WiFi hotspot), it then tries to go to an internet address (I don't know which one, probably www.barnesandnoble.com) and if it can't get there, presumes there is no internet connection.

That can happen for several reasons.    First one being, some WiFi hotspots require you to sign in before you can get beyond the router onto the internet.   To test this, once your WiFi connects, try to open any webpage.   If you get a sign-in page (or accept T&C or whatever) and then acknowledge it (sign in or accept T&C) now try the internet.

The next most common reason is that the NC is not getting the name of the DNS servers (things that translate domain names "www.barnesandnoble.com into a phyiscal IP address) when it gets it's IP address from the WiFi's dhcp server.    You can "test" this by manually setting the DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (both are google public DNS servers).    If that fixes the problem, then you need to check your router (dhcp server) and make sure it is properly passing on the DNS server IPs to the NC.   You'll have to check with your router manufacturer (web site) for exact details on how to do that.   

Another issue is that the B&N website is down temporairly.   That should be a rare occurance, and even rarer would be if your WiFi router isn't connected to the internet at all.   The (hopefully) obvious test for that would be if other devices on your WiFI can get onto the internet.

There are other problems that can cause this issue...but the list above would cover 99.9% of all cases.

Obviously, I can't speak for YOUR particular NC or YOUR particular WiFi setup, but I can say that MY NC has never had a problem connecting to ANY WiFi hotspot I've tried and then connecting to the internet.

---------
Don
Contributor
Colfrank
0 Kudos

DHCP is set for about 7 days

Yes, running v1.1.0 on Nook Color

My old version Nook (v1.5) has been connected to my router for two days now with no

drop outs or connection resets needed. WiFi/Web seems to be fine.

Frequent Contributor
d_meister
0 Kudos

Colfrank is absolutely right in his initial post: There's a problem with NC connectivity, and the myriad of posts on the subject are irrefutable testimony. This business of jumping through hoops and holding your tongue out the left side iof your mouth is just silly. B&N knows this and would like to solve the problem as much as anyone. In the final analysis, if you can't connect to public secured hot spots, there's a problem. It doesn't matter that you can configure a router and get it going at home (which I had to do). If you're in the wild, the NC is just crippled.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook Color for a bit over a month, and have connected to a variety of WiFi sites, with nary a problem.  Note that if a WiFi spot is overloaded with users (which doesn't take much if there's only a single access point), you can have problems.  Another issue is that many places that set up WiFi just let the device pick the WiFI channel, which usually defaults to 6.  I have seen locations where several local WiFi systems (from different stores) are all on channel 6, while channels 1 and 11 go begging (note that there is about a 3-5 channel "bandwidth" for a WiFi system, so it's a good idea not to pick adjacent channels at a location).  Client devices (like the Nook) can get confused when they see different systems on the same channel.

There is a fantastic WiFi application for Android that graphically displays all the channels being received, their names & encryption methods, and the signal strengths:  "WiFi Analyzer", and yes, it runs on the (rooted) Nook Color.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Frequent Contributor
lilacangel
0 Kudos

The only connection mine has ever had trouble obtainibg a signal and keeping is my home signal. Verizon FiOS.
Reader 2
chowhound
0 Kudos

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

d_meister wrote:

Colfrank is absolutely right in his initial post: There's a problem with NC connectivity, and the myriad of posts on the subject are irrefutable testimony. This business of jumping through hoops and holding your tongue out the left side iof your mouth is just silly. B&N knows this and would like to solve the problem as much as anyone. In the final analysis, if you can't connect to public secured hot spots, there's a problem. It doesn't matter that you can configure a router and get it going at home (which I had to do). If you're in the wild, the NC is just crippled.

How so? You can open a browser and connect to a public network. I know, I've done it.

The only problem I've had with NC wifi is that the antenna isn't particularly strong, and putting a cover on the device seems to exaggerate that. My regular Nook was frustrating, because it couldn't connect to N networks, but the NC is fine as long as you're fairly close to the access point.

Didn't really want to bring this up, but I've never had anything but trouble with Netgear stuff. Stopped using it a while ago because it was always a pain. I don't want to blame Netgear for the OP's issue since I don't know enough about what's going on, but I wasn't surprised at all to see that's what he's using.

Inspired Contributor
WarBrand
0 Kudos

It seems that the OP has taken a problem found with a single instance (secured wifi at an ER) and extrapolated from that a general problem (the NC has a wifi problem). Secured public connections generally require additional steps to connect to the internet beyond getting the initial connection. Usually you are asked to agree to Terms of Service as a minimum. If you do not complete the additional requirement, you get a wifi connection without an internet connection.

While I understand the OP's frustration, statements like "If you're in the wild, the NC is just crippled." are not valid based on his evidence. I have had a NC since day of release and had an original Nook before that. (My wife has the first Nook now and loves it). In that time I have found one wifi hotspot that I could not connect to. Oddly that one was at a BN store that I had used before. When I asked, they had had other reported problems that day. They rebooted the access point and the problem cleared up.

Yes, people have reported problems with wifi access on these forums. This is understandable. The are lots of different access points available, of various ages, with many security options. Usually only people that have problems report them to boards like this. People with no problems generally do not report that. If you go to forums for other products, you see the same type of complaints about wifi connections. It not unique to the Nook or the Nook Color. 

Don't give up, don't ever give up.
Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

And I could add - if you are having problems at home why not set your router to use static ip addresses or set it so the lease never expires? The router it's self handles the leases from your IP provider so there is really no reason for your router to hand out new internal ip addresses to your devices within your network.

I see the same problem at work with VOIP phones we have at employees homes. The ones who's router do not hand out new ip addresses all the time (or ever) never have issues with their phones. People who's routers or who use the cable companies routers that hand out new leases all the time constantly have problems with their phones since the phones - like the NC - aren't as adept at refreshing IP addresses on the fly.