Frequent Contributor
rfbarr
0 Kudos

Nook Color can't connect to adhoc wireless networks. (iPhone, Android hotspot issues)

I wanted to share this with everyone. I found out the hard way.

If you had a desire to connect your nook to a wifi hotspot like one of those created by a jailbroken iPhone with MyWi or other android cell phones.  You can't in some instances.

Nook Color does not allow you to connect to an adhoc network.  I had a desire to tether my nook to my Jailbroken iPhone 4 using MyWi but once I set it up the nook did not even see the network. 

Nook color requires that a network bet set up as an infrastructure network.  This is an issue because some cell phone and all the Jailbroken iPhone applications use adhoc networks to create hotspots.

MyWi on the iPhone has mentioned that they are working on a way to create an infrastructure but they have given no ETA on when they will be available.

So my grand plan to have internet access anywhere using my Jailbroken iPhone 4 is on hold for now. 

This does not apply to any mobile device that can create a hotspot using infrastructure mode.  Some phones can create both but default to adhoc to check your phones transmission settings and see if you have the ability to switch it to an infrastructure connection this will fix your issues. 

I wanted to pass this information along to others.  I am sure some of you knew this.  Others probably don't care. Hope this helps anyone who wanted to know or was curious as to why they were un able to tether to a mobile device.

Frequent Contributor
JesseB
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color can't connect to adhoc wireless networks. (iPhone, Android hotspot issues)

I have the same issue, I really hope either B&N will allow for connecting to AdHoc networks in the next update or MyWi will allow you to create an Infrastructure network on their next update...

Frequent Contributor
rfbarr
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color can't connect to adhoc wireless networks. (iPhone, Android hotspot issues)

Well I suspect the adhoc network issue with the nook is a hardware issue.  I don't think you can fix the issue with out replacing the type of wireless adapter they have in the nook. 

MyWi has stated they are working on that feature but it had been on their list of things they are working on for several updates so I do not know if they are having troubles programming an infrastructure mode in to their app or they are just not that fast about adding that functionality.  Either way I think our only option is to wait for the MyWi to catch up. 

New User
deitiphobia
0 Kudos

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=868354

The link above is a thread from the folks at XDA Developers. They have figured out a way to get the Nook Color to see and connect to Ad-Hoc networks!!! 

Problem solved. 

Frequent Contributor
EricWiz
0 Kudos

Note that the link above is a fix for ROOTED NC's and not unrooted stock.

New User
EagleMitchell
0 Kudos

The good news however is that if it works on rooted systems, that the hardware will support it, so we can hope that Barnes and Noble includes that ability in their next update, as it is obviously a firmware issue then, and not a hardware issue.

Frequent Contributor
Ostracus
0 Kudos

Hmmm, yes, well considering some of the present WiFi issues I don't know if that's really saying much.

Contributor
alvesmd
0 Kudos

I don't want to root my Nook Color, but want to connect to ad hoc networks; don't believe BN will fix it in any future version of firmware.