New User
jaredkfan
0 Kudos

Nook Color charger doesn't work anymore

Hey all,

I've had my NOOK since Christmas and I LOVE it!  Today though i have experienced problems.  The charger that came with the NOOK won't work anymore, no matter which wall socket I plug it into.  Jiggling the part of it that plugs into the NOOK doesn't work either - the light simply won't come on and turn green or brown.  I think the charger has simply stopped working. 

Do I need to call Customer Support and ask them to ship me a replacement?  I've done some research and apparently this is a common problem, since the charger is poorly made, or so I saw.  What number do I need to call?

Jared

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color charger doesn't work anymore

does it charge when plugged into the usb drive of your computer? Granted, it would take longer, but it would be nice to know if it's the wall adapter or the cord.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
jaredkfan
0 Kudos

No I tried plugging it into the computer via usb and that didn't work either.  

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

jaredkfan wrote:

No I tried plugging it into the computer via usb and that didn't work either.  

Then it's not the charger, it's either the cable (most likely and what you wish for) or the nook color itself.

If you have another cable, you could try it--or if near a B&N store, take the device and cable to them and let them confirm what's wrong. But my guess is a replacement cable will be the solution--call (800) The Book for a replacement.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I just saw on the NC Support Q&A that is says it won't charge from the computer. 

Sorry.  I was under the impression that it would for some reason.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kamas716 wrote:

I just saw on the NC Support Q&A that is says it won't charge from the computer. 

Sorry.  I was under the impression that it would for some reason.

Yes it does as only way I been charging since decemember is from my PC. Takes longer is all. at 50% takes 4-6 hrs range.

But there are a few things to be aware of:

1) Some Older desktop systems have underpowered usb front connectors. Try a usb port in back.

2) Some older laptops also have underpowered usb ports.

That's why with portable usb drives you saw a Y connector with 2 usb connectors. Need both to give device enough power.

But if have been working than can be the connector on the Nook or more likely the cable itself. Take both the A.C. and cable and nook to B&N store. Let them fiqure it out. As many stores will replace on the spot without questions.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Reader
NoreenKelly
0 Kudos

I am on my 2nd Nook Color and 3rd Nook charger! The charger is definitely flawed, IMHO! It is too big, heavy, and clunky and you barely look at it and it comes out of the wall socket!! Exaggeration, I know - but not too far from the truth!! The n shape may be cutesy, but, not very practical!! I was gifted with a Nook Color when they first came out November 2010.  The charger receptacle on that first Nook was defective - I had to try over and over to put the plug into it and finally, it just stopped charging all together. I called B&N customer service and was told I would get a new charger by mail. I never received it. I called again and was told the same thing and never received it. I, finally, just went into my local B&N and they replaced the Nook itself because they determined the receptacle was also defective!!. Since then, I have had to go in for 2 more chargers!! This last time was last weekend and they tried to tell me it was the Nook itself because they tried several extra flawed chargers they had hanging around, as it turns out, that didn't work either, and, finally, after an hour of me waiting and waiting, they finally found one that worked and gave it to me. Now that my Nook is out of warranty, I wonder what will happen next time?? As it was, they told me I would have to pay $65 for refurbished or $85 for another new Nook Color if they couldn't get it to charge!!

I love my Nook, but, I gotta' tell you, if it dies altogether, I am not sure if I will get another one!

Also, to whoever previously said that any charger will charge the Nook Color - that is totally NOT the case in my experience. Believe me, I've tried a lot of different ones hoping I wouldn't have to use that big, clunky Nook one! I love the reading experience on my Nook, but, as far as the rest of it goes, I am not so sure anymore!!

New User
kdeanCO
0 Kudos

I have replaced my Nook Color charger 4 times since I bought my Nook Color 2 years ago. Forget getting any assistance from Customer Service at Barnes & Noble, they will straight up tell you that no one has ever had this problem, and the chargers work just fine, but there are blogs over the internet about the problems with the chargers. I have been using my blackberry phone charger because I do not want to spend any more money on worthless chargers, and it works just fine!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes, you should get a replacement charger.

It should be free. Try a store if they don't offer you a free replacement over the phone.

New User
R456
0 Kudos

Why wont u just go to barnes and noble nook help thing and its on thursdays ask them for help and it would work

New User
UTCS_Suarez
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My experience with the nook charger has been terrible!  I am on my 4th charger!  We have no Barnes & Noble in my city, so I rely on customer service.  They are not willing to give me a replacement charger. I argued with them for an hour tonight and finally received a whopping $10 credit towards my next book purchase.  After two years as an owner, many $'s spent towards the purchase of books and  4 chargers later, I get a lecture on how to handle a crappy charger and a $10 credit. I love reading my nook, but I am sick of dealing with the charger issues. Every six months I have an issue with your chargers.  Something has to be done! You guys know your product is crap. It is not fair to us as consumers. If I continue to buy chargers, I would have invested in another nook!  These chargers are $20 a pop!  Someone do something!