Contributor
jaynlisa
0 Kudos

Nook Color does not display covers for any of my 218 sideloaded books

Disappointing.  I have a variety of ePub and PDF books.  None are displayed with covers (just a grey box), and there seems to be no way to put them on the Home screen or the Daily Shelf either.

Nook_Engineer

Re: Nook Color does not display covers for any of my 218 sideloaded books

Hi Jaynlisa,

You're correct, right now sideloaded content cannot be added to either the home panels or the Daily Shelf.  This is already on the list of customer requested features, but I have no further update on that.

Regarding thumbnails for sideloaded images, we recogize that there is a problem there and we are working on fixing that. 

Regards,

-Jeffrey

Contributor
jaynlisa

Thanks, it's nice to see than BN are responding to these questions.  The could be a great product with a few software tweaks.  My advice:  Focus on the parts of the software that make this the best reading device it can be (and less so on the other non-reading bells and whistles).

Contributor
VanillaBay

Dear Nook_Engineer ... I just wanted to say that I appreciate you being in these forums and posting answers. It is good also to hear that several important additions/corrections are already on the consideration list for future updates.

Contributor
Pathfinder_12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well I added books to  the Books folder thru usb and the books and covers show up? But I guess you mean thru the SD card?

Frequent Contributor
Mr_Gone
0 Kudos

Im SORTA having this problem..

a good number of side loaded books have covers, but NON of the PDFs.

Is there a way to have Covers for PDFs or no?

Contributor
jaynlisa
0 Kudos

No, I meant sideloaded through the USB.  All covers for both ePubs and PDFs are just gray boxes.

Correspondent
lisat96
0 Kudos

I think it's random. Some of my sideloaded books have covers and others don't.  All have covers available inside the files and displayed covers on the NOOK 3G.  All are were loaded to the device itself, not an SD card.  I don't have any PDFs, so I don't know if there's a difference with those.  I haven't been able to find anything inside of the files themselves that distinguishes why some work and others don't.

Contributor
Kingers6
0 Kudos

Agree, it's random.

Contributor
jianglai

I've been able to fix the cover art problem. It seems that in the .opf file there are two parts that the nook is pretty strict with:

<meta name="cover" content="cover"/>  in <metadata>

and <item id="cover" href="images/cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/> in <manifest>

Both bold text needs to be exact "cover" in order for nook to load a cover art. Other reader seems more lenient on this and I've seen "cover-image", "cover1", etc just works fine in Adobe Digital Edition. Anyway when I change them to "cover" I've got cover arts. Try that.

Correspondent
lisat96
0 Kudos

Yep, that's it.  I compared the opfs from files that worked and the ones that didn't and all the ones that worked had "cover" instead of something else.   Thanks jianglia!

Contributor
jianglai
0 Kudos

Glad to help. Hope engineers in BN can also notice that and fix this too much stringent requirement. Fixing tons of ePUBs for this "cover" thing is still a pain in an ass.

Correspondent
lisat96
0 Kudos

PM nook_engineer (above in this thread).  All of mine had some variation of a string with the letters "cov" in them.  I didn't notice the pattern at first because the opfs all had valid data, just not "cover" specifically.  Luckily I'm only sideloading some of the books from my account to my daughter's.  I agree, I would hate to do this for my whole account plus everything I've purchased elsewhere.

Contributor
jianglai
0 Kudos

How exactly do you PM on this board? I failed to find the option....

Contributor
jianglai
0 Kudos

Never mind... I found it.

New User
VenomBDP
0 Kudos

I have Calibre and Sigil, can I fix this problem with one of those? I'm SO confused, but I want to put covers on the books my wife and I have gotten through other sites!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

We're aware of the issue and are trying to find a way to show thumbnails for more sideloaded content.

We are working on getting more sideloaded covers to show in library.

New User
ScribeGMD

I'd like to report the same problem.  It is confusing to have all the books I've sideloaded from recent purchases from Booksamillion, to come over with generic gray covers with titles that are cut off so that I cannot tell what I am opening to read!  Please correct for this problem as soon as possible.  I would put this problem ahead of trying to open access to more games.  The NookColor to stay competitive with the recent onslaught of many new tablet devices, needs to be consistent on how it can adapt to all book formats [especially since this is its professed niche in the marketplace] allowing its readers to acquire books over time, to build and arrange a growing library, not keep expecting readers to start all over, with each new e-reading device.  

Reader
TheToolman
0 Kudos

Calibre appears not to correct the problem. You have to manually edit the .opf file to correct all of the "cover" entries and then recreate the epub. My thanks to jianglai for finding the solution.

Reader
bobm185
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem - no covers showing with some epub files and no covers at all with pdf files.

Can anyone explain how to access the opf file to edit it as explained above?  Thanks!