Reader
cr546
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color does not display covers for any of my 218 sideloaded books

so, I'm having the same problem with the covers not showing up for the majority of my files.  Some of them I have randomly show the covers, but those appear under the folder "doc.Thumbs". Would you mind explaining again how to get the covers to apppear for my other files, in simpler terms, for me?Thanks

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

cr546 wrote:

so, I'm having the same problem with the covers not showing up for the majority of my files.  Some of them I have randomly show the covers, but those appear under the folder "doc.Thumbs". Would you mind explaining again how to get the covers to apppear for my other files, in simpler terms, for me?Thanks

Is your problem for sideloaded epubs?  If so, this easy method has worked for every one of my sideloaded epubs, but it will only work for those without DRM-the unsecure ones, you know.

Be sure first of all that you know how to properly connect and disconnect from your computer.  If you don't know how, then ask.  And if you don't know that you need to wake up and later eject your NOOKcolor, then you are not ready to do this.

Here goes:

• Download a program called Calibre.  It is an ebook management program among other things and it is free.
  • Start Calibre and choose to have books convert to epubs by default.  You are going to convert epubs to epubs.  It seems redundant but works.
  • Add an epub by hitting the add books button-you can do this in bulk or individually and will see selections for this, but for the first time just do it individually.
  • When you do this, Calibre will create a library (Calibre Library) on your harddrive.  Every book added will go there and be listed under the author's name in folders with a bunch of stuff in them.  These folders will have an epub and cover jpg image as well as opfs.  Forget about the opfs now.
  • After adding a book select it and hit the button to convert it.  Make sure it says it will convert to epub.  Always to do this, convert the books individually.
  • This will send you to the metadata page.  Here, you can correct any errors in the book title, author's name, and most importantly, you can add a cover image.
  • It will show an image there already if your book has one, but under the image there is a browse button and you will hit that and go to that book's folder in your Calibre Library and find the cover image. You will add it again.  If your book doesn't have one yet, you can use the image of your choice for it or even download a suitable cover online.
  • After you've added the image, select convert.  Once it is done, drag and drop the epub file from your Calibre Library to your NOOKcolor, My Files, Books area.  I don't send the book to my NOOKcolor from within Calibre, but some people do.  I use drag and drop and every one of my sideloaded books has a cover.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
sKurt
0 Kudos

Great!  I'll give these options a try, I have Calibre 7.40 on my MacBook so hopefully no more blue boxes with sometimes wrong title information...

Also it would be nice for the B&N Developers to make it like the 'rest' of the ereaders out there and have it 'remember' the last page viewed so when I open a magazine I've been reading, it will go to page 100 instead of me having to remember the last page and flipping 100 pages to get there :smileyindifferent:

Distinguished Correspondent
rerose1975
0 Kudos

My NC goes to the last page I was on for magazines, just like books.  I read a ton of them and I would be very annoyed if it didn't do that!

Inspired Contributor
Caffeine247

[ Edited ]

Mine goes to the last page for books and magazines as well. I too would be annoyed. Until you can figure it out, have you considered bookmarking your place when you close a book? Then you could just go to your bookmark.

New User
sKurt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

After I used the Calibre program and converted a few .PDFs to .epub, yes, they indeed went to the last page I viewed.  Also, the .PDF/.epub became the first book in the upper left position showing that this is the book I am now 'reading/viewing'.

However

I used the Calibre program on my MacBook on about 10 .PDF files where I converted from .PDF to .epub and they showed up with covers on the NC, HOWEVER as they are now epub files, I could no longer zoom in!  If I clicked the page it brought up the normal .epub menu where I could slide from page 1 - whatever and enlarge font etc, but there really is no font to enlarge, as it is really just a picture of a page. :smileyindifferent:

So converting from .PDF to .epub to get cover pictures is not a good solution - unless I am doing something wrong?

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think you have it about right. PDF and ePub, of course, are different formats and there are different apps for them on the NC. The different apps have different and incompatible capabilities. This difference has frustrated some folks and it would be better if the two apps had compatible functionality.

This is difficult to achieve because scaling text on a pdf is a very unnatural operation for the format. Scaling the entire page makes much more "sense". An ePub page could be scaled as a whole, but because ePub, like HTML, is not a book format that contains a "particular" page format, it makes more sense to scale the text as an easy operation. Images in ePub documents are then a problem because that needs to be done in a different way than text. All of this is still being developed and probably, who knows, will be improved in the future.

Calibre performs the minor miracle of turning various forms into others. This is a "rough and ready" kind of a process with all kinds of pitfalls. Many or most PDFs do have the text of pages so Calibre can do something creative with that. Other PDFs are, as you say, just images of pages. Calibre could, in principle, OCR them and so forth. Well, maybe someday....

None of this helps you in the least, but welcome to the wonderful world of eReading. :smileyvery-happy:

New User
sKurt
0 Kudos

So, now I'm back to square one.  .PDFs that are readable, but no fancy cover to 'show off to my friends how great the nook is'

I need to try one of the Android readers on this tablet...

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

Sisim wrote:

I barely got the hang of opening the files in Calibre, I think; but have absolutely NO idea what things are supposed to look like in Sigil when I've done the conversion right,

The way I do it, Sigil is the first step, and you don't do anything to the book.  Just open it (the epub) and save it, then close Sigil.  I have no idea what to DO with Sigil myself but I just use it for saving the epub (and Sigil does only work with non-DRM books.)  I always use "save as" rather than "save" to be absolutely sure it's overwriting the original file.

Then I open it in Calibre, fetch metadata and cover, convert from epub to epub, then transfer it to my NC (all of that in Calibre.)  This method works for me 100% of the time. 

New User
SCSouthernGirl
0 Kudos

So, if it's a DRM book, there's no hope for a cover?

Inspired Correspondent
leday
0 Kudos

I believe that there is a plugin available for Calibre that will help remove DRM.  I have over 300 books sideloaded to my NC from Calibre and ALL have their covers showing (none has DRM). 

I know some have "issues" with the legality of removing DRM, but to my mind, I am BUYING my book and therefore I own it, that particular book is MY property and I can do what I want with it, I do not "rent" it from the publisher for use on only ONE proprietary device.  If I want to read it on my NC in the house or on my Sony Reader outside in full sunlight, the book is mine and I should be able to do that.  (If I bought a paperback dead tree book, it belongs to me.  I can take it wherever I want and lend it to whomever I want.  I just can't sell it for personal profit.  In this case also, the publisher gets their $$ from me, but not who I might lend it to.  Same should apply to digital ebooks, but that is IMHO).

OK, off my soapbox.  My original point is that there are ways to circumvent DRM if you search the web for them so you can have your covers showing in all their glory.

The road goes ever on.....
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

leday wrote:

I believe that there is a plugin available for Calibre that will help remove DRM.

You don't really have to do that with Calibre. I just right-click on the cover and save image as

<name of book>.jpg. Then download the book and add it to the Calibre library. Note that I do have one folder on my desktop where I save images and books for easy location.

If the listing in the Calibre library only shows the plain brown cover, select Edit Metadata, then in the center panel you can select Browse, and then select the jpg image that you saved. Then just hit OK.

EDIT -- I should mention it helps to click on the name of the book online, which brings up a screen with a larger cover image to right-click on. Otherwise, if you click from the book in the online library, it's just a thumbnail and doesn't look good for a cover.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Correspondent
leday
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

leday wrote:

I believe that there is a plugin available for Calibre that will help remove DRM.

You don't really have to do that with Calibre. I just right-click on the cover and save image as

<name of book>.jpg. Then download the book and add it to the Calibre library. Note that I do have one folder on my desktop where I save images and books for easy location.

If the listing in the Calibre library only shows the plain brown cover, select Edit Metadata, then in the center panel you can select Browse, and then select the jpg image that you saved. Then just hit OK.

EDIT -- I should mention it helps to click on the name of the book online, which brings up a screen with a larger cover image to right-click on. Otherwise, if you click from the book in the online library, it's just a thumbnail and doesn't look good for a cover.

I do this (always add the cover to Calibre this way, and the covers are always shown in Calibre) but even so Calibre doesn't ALWAYS send the cover to the NC nor will the NC ALWAYS show it, so I still have to use the Sigil open and save, and then Calibre convert epub-to-epub to rebuild the epub file for the covers to show.

New User
ChvyVele
0 Kudos

I was having problems with this just now. I tried everything that everyone said, and it worked for some of my books, but not for others. I found another thing you have to watch out for. Some ePubs have an OEBPS folder. You have to put the cover.jpeg file in there too.

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The instructions here are very detailed and that's great but considering I have sideloaded over 100 books and maybe half of those, actually less than half I bet have covers showing up it would take an awfully long time for me to do what's need to make them appear. At least based on the instructions.

Am I correct? Is it going to take a long time to accomplish this task for say 50 or 60 books using calibre and sigil?

It's totally annoying to that this is even an issue at all. That and the fact that sideloaded content can not be added to the home screen. I hate that I can't add side loaded content to the home screen. The home screen is a bit pointless as it is and if I can't even add my sideloaded content to it that makes it even more useless to me.

I wish BN would just fix this issue and be done with it! I mean, I could be actually reading with the time it's going to take just to get the covers to appear in my library.

Inspired Correspondent
leday
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I agree it is a pain and I wish BN would fix this.  However, once it's done you won't have to worry about it.  I have over 300 books on my NC, all sideloaded via Calibre.  When I got the NC, I just dedicated myself to doing X amount of books each day (pick a reasonable amount, like 10, 20, 30 or whatever you are comfortable with) and worked like that until the entire collection was done (it really didn't seem so long to do when you break it down into manageable sections).  Now it's done and over with and the only time I have to tweak the covers is when I purchase a single new book, which doesn't take long to do at all.

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

I mentioned this I think in a different thread but not in this one (forgive me if I'm repeating myself), but a few updates back Calibre fixed this issue.  Make sure you have the latest version of Calibre and the cover situation should be better than it was.  Still not perfect, but better.

New User
Admiral_Hutson
0 Kudos

Maybee its just me but I don't have to do all that much work to get them to load. Infact they go directly to the book tab and not the my files tab.

I've been having manga to read like trigun and FMA and the files are in .CBR format. well each format is like having an issue of the book but better cause it saves trees. So I got two programs to make this work. the program I use to convert the .CBR format into epub is epubizator. In there I can actually combine several .CBR files into one big volume and rotate the images and sizes. (600w x 875h) I can add chapters names to and it actually shows the names just like the DRM ones!

Then I use the calibre program which allows me to add the author, isbn and cover art. It has tools for auto chaptering but......it wont work with manga so thats why I use this epubizator program to do what I want.

Then just click on create epub and send it to the Nook Color. works great. oh but for my personal taste I changed the file location on how it saves and it will be better for you all if you had the series and then the Title of the ebook otherwise it will save the ebooks via author and you then won't know what the heck you got in there?

I'm totally happy with it and I've been trying to find programs to do it all like I mentioned before but this calibre and epuizator doese the job... oh and its FREE!!!!

New User
Admiral_Hutson
0 Kudos

oh I forgot that calibre does batch work too so it won't take so long to edit say 218 ebooks. works better if you can look up the ISBN cause it will basicly do the rest of the work for you at that point.

Contributor
DebbieC13
0 Kudos

Could some one walk me through the steps to get the sideloaded books show their covers?  Also, do I need to enter my CC on all 21 books?

Thanks,

Debbie