Inspired Contributor
Caffeine247

Re: Nook Color does not display covers for any of my 218 sideloaded books

VenomBDP wrote:

I have Calibre and Sigil, can I fix this problem with one of those? I'm SO confused, but I want to put covers on the books my wife and I have gotten through other sites!

The only consistent way I've found to get your covers to display - every time - is:

1) Import books into Calibre.

2) Be sure that covers are properly displaying in Calibre.

3) Open .epub file in Sigil.

4) Make no changes, but do select Save.

5) Back in Calibre, convert item(s) from epub to epub.

6) Send to device.

Covers then should display properly. I've been able to get this to work every time. No manual editing of .opf files was necessary.

By the way, credit should go to someone else for this, but that individual is on another forum and I'm not sure whether I can mention it.

That's a very simplified answer, and you'll need to be somewhat familiar with the programs to get it to work, but once you get it, it's relatively simple. Let me know if that helps.

New User
nordikgod
0 Kudos

The only covers that work on my NookColor are either purchased B&N books or epub files with out DRM such as free books or books purchased from Baen publishing which do not use DRM.

On DRM protected epubs from Sony or Borders the covers do not work. So I modified the opf file to include the cover references in both metadata and manifest sections per a previous reply in this message thread.

The cover still did not work.  I have also tried loading the images directly into the same directory that B&N places all of the cover art.  This did not work.  To date I have only been able to get non-DRM epub files to display cover art.  B&N in this forum stated that they download all of their cover art from their servers when you download the DRM epub file.  I suspect that this establishes a link between their epub file and the matching cover art file (yes I know that cover art is embedded in the epub but it appears they extract it for normal use) and that the NookColor wants to do the same thing for any DRM epub file but can't since these files did not come from B&N.

Could I be wrong? Has any one been able to get cover images to work with DRM protected epub files purchased from other stores?

Inspired Contributor
MsAmberRocks
0 Kudos

I have not been able to get them to work on DRM protected files from other sites. bummer.

New User
Tason30
0 Kudos

I have been reading the threads in this forum for a while and I was specifically interested in this thread, as I too have been trying to get the cover art to show up for all of the ebooks I added to "My Files" on my nook color.

I tried for hours on end to use calibre to add the cover art to my books as well as converting them to different formats and continually removing them from my nook and then transferring them back to my nook.

I want to say that I used the method Caffeine247 posted above, and although it took a while, every single one of my books now has the cover art showing!!!!!

I joined this forum just to post this reply, as I can see it is a big issue for many people who own nook color's like myself.

I added all of my books into calibre, then opened each one in Sigil, saved it (and nothing more), then converted them from epub to epub in calibre, and sent them to my nook.  Everything worked great the first time!!!!!!!!

I am so happy I found this thread.  I personally DO think it is a big deal to be able to have my cover art displayed for my books.  Every other media device out there, from phones to Mp3 players to game systems displays art for the media contained on them, and that is one of the things that makes these devices so wonderful and personal.  To have a Nook Color, which is foremost designed for Ebooks, and have it displaying tons of ugly, blank, grey books is extremely disappointing.  I definitely feel the software engineers need to fix this issue ASAP since this IS a big deal to so many people.  If I didnt care to see the book covers then WHY WOULD I BUY A NOOK COLOR in the first place!

All in all, I am very happy with my nook color.  But I do feel there is much room for improvement in many areas of its functioning.  And as someone else stated earlier, the engineers should definitely focus more of their time on streamlining the ease of use and user control related to Ebooks before worrying about the media and gaming aspects of the nook.  Most people, myself included, own smartphones, gaming systems, PC's, MP3 players, etc.... and bought the nook color for reading ebooks.  If I want to play games or listen to music I use one of my other devices.

I just hope the software engineers are listening..............................

And thanks again to Caffeine247 for posting this work around!!!!!

Reader 2
megs2kool
0 Kudos

Where do you go to find these .opf things? I am having the same issue, and I'd love to get it fixed so I can see my covers. Is it a file somewhere? How do I get there?

Thanks!!

New User
julie-t
0 Kudos

Could someone please give instructions for finding the opf file and how to edit it? 

I've found files that are the thumbnails, but they are called png files. 

Also, how do you "recreate" the epub after editing the opf?

Thank you!!

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

Caffeine247 - worked fine on the book added to the

library, but still doesn't show on the book in the my files books.

I almost thought it didn't work until I saw the book in the library.

Or am I doing something incorrect ?

Thanks for the post.

Frequent Contributor
MrsSS
0 Kudos

jianglai wrote:

I've been able to fix the cover art problem. It seems that in the .opf file there are two parts that the nook is pretty strict with:

<meta name="cover" content="cover"/>  in <metadata>

and <item id="cover" href="images/cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/> in <manifest>

Both bold text needs to be exact "cover" in order for nook to load a cover art. Other reader seems more lenient on this and I've seen "cover-image", "cover1", etc just works fine in Adobe Digital Edition. Anyway when I change them to "cover" I've got cover arts. Try that.

This was very helpful, thanks!  I also found that many of the missing covers did not have the cover in the images folder, which, when rectified and the code was added, did the trick.

Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

Caffeine247 wrote:

The only consistent way I've found to get your covers to display - every time - is:

6) Send to device.

*SNIP*

Thank you so much Caffeine247!

Maybe B&N need to hire you? ;-)

Contributor
BrenCocoaFL
0 Kudos

I wasn't successful with the .opf file editing. I'm using Calibre for my sideloading like a lot of folks. Did comparisons between two files that are both epub format, lines were the same in the .opf files, one works, the other doesn't.

Another test - the pdf files won't display the covers, even with the downloaded image through calibre. Decided to convert them to epub, and I've got covers on the nook.

I guess I could try converting the epubs that aren't working to another format & back again, but seems like a lot of work to get the cover art there.

Inspired Contributor
Caffeine247
0 Kudos

Guyon wrote:

Caffeine247 wrote:

6) Send to device.

*SNIP*

Thank you so much Caffeine247!

Maybe B&N need to hire you? ;-)

Maybe they should! LOL  Nah, I can't take credit, as I read it elsewhere here on the boards, but I do thank you for your kind words nonetheless. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
Caffeine247
0 Kudos

Atomant wrote:

Caffeine247 - worked fine on the book added to the

library, but still doesn't show on the book in the my files books.

I almost thought it didn't work until I saw the book in the library.

Or am I doing something incorrect ?

Thanks for the post.

Covers won't display in the My Files; they'll only display in the Library (and on your Home page if they are B&N publications, which are the only ones that currently display there).

Inspired Contributor
Caffeine247
0 Kudos

Hi Julie,

If you download Calibre & Sigil, the Help files will walk you through it. If you get stuck, post back here & I'll try to help.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

Just so that people understand.  Sigil is an epub editing program and Calibre is a conversion program.  I have had no trouble having covers show up in non-drmed epubs (those converted from pdfs or those that were epubs to begin with), by simply using Calibre.  You would convert the epub to epub.

The one thing I do want to make clear is that if anyone uses Sigil for any editing, even though the file is an epub use Calibre to re-convert it to epub.  For any epubs that will be sideloaded to make the covers show up, add them to Calibre individually and then convert them individually.  When you select convert even if you see a cover image there select the browse button to change the image and then go to your Calibre Library and select that book and then look in the folder until you find the cover image and select it and then convert to epub.  The issue with having to convert epub to epub is basically because not all programs seem to create epubs in the same way, such as I was saying about Sigil. 

For anyone wondering if you change the file name extension to .zip instead of .epub, you will see all of the files within the epub and can look at the .opf that is there or you can look at the files in your Calibre Library if you have added your books to Calibre..

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
MrsSS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BrenCocoaFL wrote:

I wasn't successful with the .opf file editing. I'm using Calibre for my sideloading like a lot of folks. Did comparisons between two files that are both epub format, lines were the same in the .opf files, one works, the other doesn't.

Another test - the pdf files won't display the covers, even with the downloaded image through calibre. Decided to convert them to epub, and I've got covers on the nook.

I guess I could try converting the epubs that aren't working to another format & back again, but seems like a lot of work to get the cover art there.

One thing I found was that Calibre showed my cover when I added one, but sometimes did not put the cover in the packed epub file.  When I exploded it to check it, I had to add the cover manually sometimes.  Another thing is to make sure the cover art is named cover.jpg; some of mine weren't so changing the opt file to cover still didn't work.

I couldn't figure out Sigil at all and working with Calibre alone on each individual file with a broken cover was fiddly, but I finally got all mine to work. It should be easier now that I know what I'm looking for before I rebuild it.

Contributor
Karnayna
0 Kudos

The nook user manual and quick user guide have this problem for me.  Ironic that they ship on the device.

Loading it once usually restores the cover to the gray box; it seems random otherwise.

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

I have the same problem with the user guide and quick guide. Sometimes they're the blue cover, sometimes they're just gray. It's not that big of a deal because they're buried pretty deep in my library, but it is annoying and something that I think needs to be fixed, especially since these ship no the device!

Reader
TheToolman
0 Kudos

The EPUB file ending in .epub is actually a .zip file. Just unzip the .epub file and you will see the .opf file along with all of the other file types contained in the .epub.

Reader
Sisim
0 Kudos

Goodness, but (and with all due respect, since I do know that this whole thing is NONE of our faults, and couldn't have been done intentionally by B&N) this whole thing seems needlessly complex--can no one simply construct a mini video to show us how it's to be properly done from start to finish and post it? I barely got the hang of opening the files in Calibre, I think; but have absolutely NO idea what things are supposed to look like in Sigil when I've done the conversion right, and I've been working on this off and on for six of the last 24 hours (and I KNOW it's got to be fairly simple when you've seen one done once or twice), managing to end up doing things over and over again! Lessons for how to do this with DRM'd and non-DRM'd ebooks would seem to be the obvious solution.

I'll step back now, shut up, and let those that know, teach =)

Reader
donm
0 Kudos

Been reading up on this topic.

Here is what's working, sometimes book by book, sometimes in bulk.

1. Get / use calibre (I have 0.7.40).

2. In a folder in my calibre library, I created "epub_working".

3. Copied my ePub's there.  Many from FreeBooks.

4. In a folder in my Calibre library, I created "Mobi_Working".

5. Got a few from Baen.

6. Also copied two books I bought from Baen into "epub_working".

7. Added each book - red button.

8. Reviewed meta data individually. Needed to "download" some covers. Some books didn't actually have covers.

9. I converted the epub to mobi as a batch. Waited for the "jobs" to complete. A few wouldn't work at all - needed to "convert individually".

10. Then, in the Mobi folder in Calibre, I converted to EPub. Again, some didn't work out (like "the raven" by EaP from freebooks).

11. Waited for the jobs to complete.

12. Then from the epub folder, did a 'send to device', after the NC was plugged in, visible as "media" drive.

IN closing - after having done this "in bulk" and not had the best results, I think it's worth it to walk through the "individually" options. More clicking, but those options never failed.