Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color not charging.

The Nook chargers are a piece of crap!  My first one started to fall apart within 2 months of getting my NC.  I taped it together, but it still disintegrated a few months later.  I had to request a new charger twice before I got one, and the new one charges verrry sloowwwly and the n never turns green unless I keep the NC on while charging ( and I mean on, not sleeping).  B&N knows the chargers are bad and refuses to redesign them.  I think they expect people will buy another crappy charger for a ridiculously high price when the warrenty expires.  They also expect people to go out and buy a new NC when the battery dies (since supposedly, they're no replaceable).  Well, guess what.  I won't be one of them.  I can read my Nook books (most of which were free, since I can no longer afford most ebooks since the prices skyrocketed)on my ipad (which will replace the battery as long as it's under warranty).  If I want a more portable reading device, I'll just purchase a cheap android tablet and download the Nook and Kindle apps (epecially since Kindle books are often much less expensive than Nook books and the android market has many free apps that I like)

New User
Pandora0
0 Kudos

Did you try another outlet? Thats what i did and i had a similar problem and that fixed it if its on an surge protector try one without a surge protector

New User
Kewpiecakes
0 Kudos

You can use a micro USB to charge your Nook.  It takes a lot more time and it will still say not charging.  I use my phone's charger all the time.  It might be worth it to buy the one for the Nook if you want the fast charge.

New User
DDfan80
0 Kudos

I am having kind of similar issues. My nook color will not charge sometimes and when I plug it in the n light is green saying it is fully charged when it is not actually charging. Then it will start charging very slowly and stop again and go back down.
New User
Redsox04ohyeah
0 Kudos

My nook color charger seems to have completely crapped out.  I called the b & n phone number and they could not have been more helpful. 

After going to my local B & N store to determine that the charger was bad, and that the nook itself was ok, I phoned B & N again and they are sending me a charger free of charge (pardon the pun).

I am quite pleased with B & N and will continue to happily use my Nook color.  Fortunately, my wife had purchased the NC extended warranty as my NC is a year and 9 months old - beyond the regular one year warranty.

<<If you leave near a Fry's Electronics - you can buy an original Nook Color/ Nook Tablet Charger for $19.99 - on sale from $24.99.  I bought one to have an extra, and my NC is good to go.>>

Thanks everyone for posting.  It really helps know what's going on with other NC fans.

New User
adam5
0 Kudos

I had a similar problem. When not plugged in the Nook said dischargings ,like it should, but when plugged in it said not charging. I went to the B & N store and they plugged in one of their chargers and it worked. So I went ahead and bought the new charger $24.99, but make sure you have them test it in the store. I got home and the new charger didn't work either, probably a bad one that was put back on the shelf. But the new charger is working fine now. I think it is the mini plug that goes bad.
New User
SabrinaCA
0 Kudos

Ok...this is exactly what is happening with my Nook Color!  I DID go to the Nook center at the nearby Barnes and Noble and we tested the charger with the store chargers that were charging their displays.  Same thing.  The device flashes from time to time, that the "Your Battery is too low to power On.  Please connect your charger".  Which, of course I am doing.   Otherwise for the sporadic flash of this message, the screen is black. 

I have read that this is a problem and unfortunately, the same answer is to check the charger.  I have, as has the store itself.  They gave me a 800 number which I have not called yet (I was hoping I could fix it myself without the hassle of sending it in).

It is September 16, and I received this as a gift for Christmas from my husband.  So sad, to see this problem is not an isolated occurance.  This device is less than a year old....this SHOULD NOT be happening!

Now what?  Where do we go from here????

New User
judijt
0 Kudos

I know what you mean. I am on my 4th charging cable and I am very careful with them. I really like my nook color but it makes me want to change devices.

New User
SuckyCharger
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

We are sorry that you are currently having this issue. Please PM me so I can better assist you.

Thank You

New User
dthusma
0 Kudos

Same issue here.
In the last month, my nook has gone thru 3 cables. My power (outlets) are clean, it seems to be a Q2C issue on the cables.

I am very disappointed with this product..

With all the options out there, I am surprised Nook won't really address this issue...guess they think marketing can cover for poor design....

I will definitely tell everyone I meet the issues I am having with this product and recommend they should run from B&N and look at other products.
Correspondent
Wulfraed

Rather late considering the Nook Color was discontinued last fall and the Nook Tablet isn't really for sale either.

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
kawherp
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've gone though multiple cables. And now the store no longer has cables to swap. They told me I'd have to go online to buy a new one as it is not under warranty. At $25? Not happening! The next cord won't last longer than any of the others have. I've been super careful with my power cord and color nook since I have known it is an issue. 

The screen has some lighter blotchy areas, too. I'm wondering if it's on its way out. In which case, I got two solid years of use out of it, but I expected to get more since I am so careful with it. I have an ipod that is 8 years old and still working after begin dropped a couple of times at the gym. My color nook has never been dropped, never subjected to extreme temperatures, lives in a protective cover, and is only charged at home in an outlet that has no trip hazards. Right now, I struggle to get it to charge. The cord has to be wiggled until it is just so... and I cross my fingers every time. 

I'm very leery of upgrading to a Nook HD since I have no sense that it will last any longer. It has a different cord, yes. But will the device last? For $240, I really expect to get several years out of it when I treat it with such care. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Kawherp, I've had no problems with my Nook Color. It's 3+ years.

There are, however, lots of charging cable issues with Nook Color. So perhaps a bunch of charging cables were all bad.

I've never heard of the 'lighter blotchy areas' issue. Could you please explain more what that is?

Can you not try a charger cable for another device with your Nook Color? Any microUSB cable should work.

Contributor
kawherp
0 Kudos

My phone charger seems to fit, but won't charge it. It's the only cord I have here that even fits. But I've been down this road 3-4 times... the Nook cord fails to charge/connect my Nook to the computer, I go to BN, they swap the cord out, and I'm good for another 6 months.. repeat. 

The screen has lighter areas. It's not pinpoints where a single pixel is bad. But there are areas that are noticeably lighter/brighter than others. It's mostly in a vertical line about 1/3 of the way in from the left edge, going most of the way up and down the screen. I can live with it, but it shouldn't be doing this after just 2 years of careful use. I'd understand if it had been living in my middle schooler's backpack and being beaten up. But I handle it carefully. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

The cord failing every 6 months. Yes, I've seen that.

It makes me wonder - what is it about some people's Nooks (or about the cables they get) that they fail every 6 months.

I thought it was an issue with cables. If so, why would some people never get it and some people get it consistently.

That's strange to have a strip that is lighter than the rest of the screen.

I can't think of anything that might work for that. It seems like the screen itself is dying.

New User
macleaves
0 Kudos

I purchased my nook on Ebay not knowing that the cord that came with my nook color was not for Nook. Went to B&N and the nice young man gave me a new cord and plug and voila - charging just fine.
New User
macleaves
0 Kudos

BTW - even tho my Nook said "not charging" it would charge fully overnight. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, that's something a few other users have reported too. The Nook says 'Not Charging' but it still charges.

New User
jose_99
0 Kudos

$200 for a device and then you can't use it/

It's time for this

http://bit.ly/12EXfVS

info here: http://bit.ly/12EXWhK

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:

Another user had a very helpful list of executive email addresses.