New User
Thurman86
0 Kudos

Nook Color not charging.

Having some problems with the nook color charging. It only gets to 37% and stops. The system information shows "Not Charging" when I plug in the charger and the connector on the charger stays yellow and never turns grren to indicate full charge. I have shut the nook off completly and let it set over night plugged in and it still stays the same, where it used to take maybe 1-2 hours for a full charge from an almost dead battery. I have tried using multiple wall outlets and usb ports on my computer. Has anyone else ran ino this problem?

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color not charging.

There have been a number of reports about problems with the cable itself.  If there's a B&N store near you, I'd take my NC in and try a new cable.  (Take your receipt with you in case the NC itself is defective.) 

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one (Andy Rooney)
New User
Thurman86
0 Kudos

Yeah I was kind of thinking that may turn out to be the issue. Wish it just used a normal mini usb connector...I have plenty of those cords laying around.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

The NC can't use a standard microUSB cable because it is using special pins in the microUSB connector of the custom cable for the additional current the NC needs to charge rapidly.

New User
Thurman86
0 Kudos

Yes I know, thats why i said i wish that it did.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Me too. I wish it had a standard, more fool-resistant, barrel connector for charging.

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3
0 Kudos

Someone else suggested that the connection be at a right angle instead of straight in so you can read while it's charging without putting any stress on the cable.  I thought that was an excellent idea. 

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one (Andy Rooney)
Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

3reddogs3 wrote:

Someone else suggested that the connection be at a right angle instead of straight in so you can read while it's charging without putting any stress on the cable.  I thought that was an excellent idea. 

Very good suggestion. Something that could still be fixed with an additional cable put out as a new accessory from B&N.

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
New User
aacoughlin
0 Kudos

the exact same thing is happening to mine...did you find a solution?

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

aacoughlin wrote:

the exact same thing is happening to mine...did you find a solution?

If you look into device info in settings and it says "not charging" while plugged into a wall outlet, most likely the cable is bad.  Again, the best suggestion is to go to a B&N if you can and have them check it out for you-have them try your cable on a NC, then try a different cable on your NC-also while there I'd see if they will connect it to a computer to make sure everything is working right there as well.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
lkNY
0 Kudos

my nook color just started doing the same thing after 7 months.  any suggestions?

New User
CriticalThinkerMV
0 Kudos

lkNY wrote:

my nook color just started doing the same thing after 7 months.  any suggestions?

Go to Barnes and Noble, and try with a cable known to be good, and a charger capable of supplying the needed power.  The Nook Color needs a high amperage charger, and most generic chargers/cables can't supply the needed charge.  I just found this out today after my new Nook - only a week old, refused to charge, but I was using a generic cable.

Reader 4
daugpack
0 Kudos

THANK YOU!!! It took forever for me to find this and to realize I was trying to charge it with our Droid cables and not the "special" Nook cable it came with... now to try to find the "special" cable....

kd

Reader
MikeGoodfellow
0 Kudos

Mine started doing the same after four months of ownership.

Bought a new cable from a Books-A-Million not far from me with no success.

Guess I'll have to take it up to a B&N to see what's going on.

Frequent Contributor
qballrail
0 Kudos

I have two USB cables that are IDENTICAL to the "special" Nook cable, without the N, so it's understandable one would try that.  In fact, my girlfriend & I had discussed the very thing, when I was reading about the cable.  She looked at it and said it has the same # of pins as her phone charger.  I guess there's a special circuit that lights up the N and changes the color when charged. The cable could be a bit longer though.  It's tempting to use one of the other ones because they are longer.

"I have known some very thoughtful dogs" - James Thurber
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

MikeGoodfellow wrote:

Mine started doing the same after four months of ownership.

Bought a new cable from a Books-A-Million not far from me with no success.

Guess I'll have to take it up to a B&N to see what's going on.

The NOOKcolor uses a special proprietary cable that does look similar to the standard one. It contains extra pins to allow extra power for quicker charging. You can use a standard cable to charge it, but it will do so very slowly. You may wish to take your NC and charger and cord to a store if possible to find where the fault lies. Most often it is the cord and sometimes stores can give you a new one on the spot. Sometimes, they can't and you have to wait for one to be sent to you. The cords are an issue since they seem to be prone to becoming too loose to make a good connection. Once this happens, you cannot use it to connect to a pc and it may still look like it has charged your NC because the light is green, but if you look on the NC, it will say "not charging". I belive the connector must be somewhat more malleable than standard ones, perhaps due to heat generated. Some have also had the plastic casing come apart. Again I wonder if this is due to heat weakening glue within it. Just a guess.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

qballrail wrote:

I have two USB cables that are IDENTICAL to the "special" Nook cable, without the N, so it's understandable one would try that.  In fact, my girlfriend & I had discussed the very thing, when I was reading about the cable.  She looked at it and said it has the same # of pins as her phone charger.  I guess there's a special circuit that lights up the N and changes the color when charged. The cable could be a bit longer though.  It's tempting to use one of the other ones because they are longer.

I don't know what type of phone she has, but my NookColor cable looks like my phone charger, but it's not.  As someone else explained, the proprietary cable has an extra pin to rapidly charge the device.  The phone cable will work, but at a much slower rate.  The plug is also a bit longer than the regular cable.

It really is a different cable, there's been a lot of warnings about not using it to charge the N1E or the N2E.

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

I just returned my original NC for a replacement.  One issue . . . the battery was no longer holding a charge after only 8 months of use, second issue was the charger itself.  The pin/metal part that actually goes into the NC was no longer sturdy and couldn't get a good charge going.

First problem, the chargers are made in China . . . that should tell you something lol.  If you call CS you should be able to get just the charger replaced without any problems.

I have suggested time and time again that they move the charger to the top of the NC so you could read while it's charging.  I doubt that will happen lol, don't hold your breath.

A thought . . . no matter where the charger is located on the NC the connection would only be sturdy, without stress, if it's laying flat.

I place a small folded kleenex under the cord of the charger now so that it has no stress at all on it when in use.  I'm hoping that will help it last longer?

New User
camokitten
0 Kudos

Same thing happened to me got new nook and its happening again

Contributor
nonuthin
0 Kudos

Hey, Thans, mine got so hot that I 'm sure it would'a started a fire with kleenex. Be careful!