Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

wall adaper/charger plug hot

Is your wall adaper/charger plug hot? According to the Nook Manager of my local B&N brick & mortar, the wall adaper/charger has an automatic shut off that works when it gets too hot.This is a separate issue from the USB cable.

Contributor
nonuthin
0 Kudos

Re: wall adaper/charger plug hot

My cable "flashed" so hot that I dropped my beloved c-nook. Didn't feel like electrical shock. That was last week, it has acted normally since. Please, no hot flash jokes - this ain't funny.
Reader
drill4fun
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color not charging.

I've already replaced my original NC charger cord and now I'm having problems again.  No matter what I do I can't get it to acknowledge being plugged in.  It shows an amber light but in settings it indicates it's not charging. I bought my granddaughter a nook tablet and just plugged my Nook Color into her charger and it's charging fine first try. 

After having my original cord fall apart at where the plug goes into the mini usb part, I have been very careful.  I plug it in and leave it alone, no using it while charging.  Guess I have to go to the bn store and get another charger cord.

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

My charger has just started doing the same.  I plug it in the amber light comes on but not shown to be charging on the nook.  The next day I unplugged it and it showed it was charging and there wasn't anything plugged into the nook?  Crazy.  I have two other chargers because this is the second charger I have owned that has gone bad on my and i'm not going to be stuck without the ability to charge.

Frequent Contributor
ExNihilo
0 Kudos

You can charge (slowly) using a regular USB to microUSB cable using the wall plug-in unit. It seems that B&N only replaces the inferior OEM cable with one just like it. I only use my NC cable when I need a quick recharge, otherwise I use a cable from my PC/phone/camera/mp3 player. You can also use the standard cable for file transfers.

Contributor
Roger_Ohio
0 Kudos

I have misplaced my B&N charger (been using generic for months w/no problems).

I haven't used my Nook for 6 - 8 weeks so it lost the charge. Now I am having charging problems. While I look for the B&N charger and cable I notice many mentions of power output of the sturdier generic chargers.

The one I used sucessfully for 4 month has a 1000mA output so it's micro USB end would be rated that high. I note my LG phone charger is only rated 200 mA so understand why that might not work.

What does the B&N charger say on it?

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Roger_Ohio wrote:

I have misplaced my B&N charger (been using generic for months w/no problems).

I haven't used my Nook for 6 - 8 weeks so it lost the charge. Now I am having charging problems. While I look for the B&N charger and cable I notice many mentions of power output of the sturdier generic chargers.

The one I used sucessfully for 4 month has a 1000mA output so it's micro USB end would be rated that high. I note my LG phone charger is only rated 200 mA so understand why that might not work.

What does the B&N charger say on it?

Yep had to digg mine out also as do slow charge on the computer overnight method.

Says Output: 5v @ 1.9amps.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
Roger_Ohio
0 Kudos

Thanks for the Amp info.  Still searching for OE Nook charger but my generic 1 Amp eventually charged the Nook. Will need to keep looking for the OE one but 1 Amp worked.

Reader 2
DyslexicCSI
0 Kudos

Wondering if anyone can help me.

I bought a Nook almost 6 months ago and haven't had any problems with it until this Sunday evening.

I tried charging it before I started reading on Sunday night and while the light on the cable lit up orange, the reader stated that it was not charging.

I then tried to connect it to the PC only to find that 'Windows does not recognise the drive and there was an error' and then proceeded to tell me that one of my ports were damaged. I have however connected other devices to the ports and they all work perfectly.

Could it be the device or maybe just the cable.

Also its a bit difficult for me to call CS or even walk into a B&N store as I do not reside in the US.

Any help would be appreciated

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

DyslexicCSI wrote:

Wondering if anyone can help me.... 

Could it be the device or maybe just the cable.

Also its a bit difficult for me to call CS or even walk into a B&N store as I do not reside in the US.

Any help would be appreciated

My best guess is that it's the cable. The best solution for fast charging would be to buy a new B&N cable. But if you have any USB cable for other devices that have the proper plug to fit into your nook color, it will function as a data (and a slow charger) cable. So I suggest trying another cable to see if your computer will recognize the nook color. If so, it's a cable problem for sure.

I think computers don't recognize nook colors when they're turned off, asleep or locked, so make sure the nook is turned on.

Reader 2
DyslexicCSI
0 Kudos

So I suggest trying another cable to see if your computer will recognize the nook color. If so, it's a cable problem for sure.

Thank you, thank you a million times over.

I was a bit scared to connect a cable other than the one Nook provided (yes I'm paranoid that way) but I did so and was able to connect and transfer books via the BlackBerry cable.

So it definitely is a cable issue.

Thankfully I asked a relative to bring me one back from the US.

All your help is much appreciated :smileywink:

Contributor
Roger_Ohio
0 Kudos

There is an option to buying a B&N cord to replace the one that failed and certainly an option after having two B&N cables fail.

If you can accept a slower charging rate then there are generic micro USB chargers available that have 1000mA or 1200mA output instead of the 1900mA output from the B&N charger.

These generic chargers are available for $5 to $10 and the cordes are nice and flexible. Just be sure to check the output current as some phone chargers are only 200mA and you need at least 1000mA output.

There are 1900mA battery backup power units. in the $20 - $30 range

Many micro USB chargers on eBay for less than $9. Just be sure the specs say 1000mA or better.

Contributor
BookBot
0 Kudos

I use my phone charger overnight. My NC is always ready when I wake.

New User
klcreaderKC
0 Kudos

My nook charger actually melted where it plugs into the nook, but since my nook is 13 months old, told that I was out of look and had to purchase a new one.

Contributor
chryss
0 Kudos

I had this same problem with my NC after having it 4 months. I bought a new charger and that sloved the problem for a month before it quit charging again. After calling Support they told me it was a software issue since the cord itself was lighting up. Factory resetting it temporarily fixed it but they eventually had to send me a different NC. Haven't had this issue with my new one yet.
chryss
Reader 2
OlivesMom
0 Kudos

Rats, mine just started doing this, too. My NC did a soft reboot and dropped back to the original software. Reinstalled the latest version, but now the battery stays at 20% despite reading "charging". I have used a new cable and tried my car adaptor. No luck. The cable indicator will go from yellow to green over time like I am fully charged, but the battery icon stays yellow and the digital percent never changes. Guess I will be visiting the brick and mortar for assistance. :smileyfrustrated:

Reader 2
OlivesMom
0 Kudos

My update is not good. Not my charger, not my cable. Reset did not work. 2 weeks outside of warranty. Now I need to call 800 number to discuss options and cost for repair. Not sure I am comfortable potentially purchasing another NC if it only lasts a year. Books can be viewed via apps on laptop  and smartphone. Googling Amazon Fire and they seem to be having some reports of battery issues, too. What's an avid reader who doesn't have space for more bookshelves to do?

Reader 2
OlivesMom
0 Kudos

Oops, I forgot to add that I have been off charger for 5 hours and using NC--still says I am "discharging" and level is 20%. Hmm--could it be related to the software upgrade?

Reader 4
Gigi118
0 Kudos

I was having the same problem. I took out the SD card and then plugged it back in and it is working just fine.

New User
beaverweaver
0 Kudos

After reading all these post I would have to say there is a software or hardware design problem with the NC.  My wife is the the Nook reader.  I have a CNC machine and it uses a very involved software program. When I go on those web site I can find answers to those post from the hardware or software suppler.  Here I only seem to see user replies.  It would be my guess BN knows they have a problem and hope your nook will run out of warranty.   Great way to get people to by the nook   once.