New User
birds79
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color won't connect to WEP network

[ Edited ]

Same problem, but I don't think it's a "wireless" issue.  I'm wondering if the issue is how the Nook engineers implemented the TCP/IP protocol stack in the device.

We have a couple Nook Touch devices and they all work.  The Nook Color is the only one that won't connect.

Our network is configured so that the wireless router does not hand out DHCP addresses.  Our wireless router is used purely as an access point for devices to connect to a more robust business grade wired router.  The wired router hands out the DHCP address.

The Nook Color makes the wireless connection with the wireless router.  The wireless connection part hasn't been an issue.  Obtaining an IP address via DHCP is where things appear to fall apart.  The DHCP logs on the wired router show the Color Nook MAC address connecting in, but with a 10.X.X.X. network address.  The Color Nook makes a request for an IP address from the DHCP address pool.  The wired router refuses the Nook saying it has an invalid network address (10.X.X.X is not the same network as the wired and wireless routers have been configured).  Nothing in our setup can assign the Nook Color an IP address of 10.X.X.X., and it is not the address class one typically sees assigned to consumer grade products.  No amount of clearing and resetting the Color Nook clears the 10.X.X.X IP/Address.

If the issue with the Nook Color were a "wireless" issue then it would never be able to connect to our wired router, and the wired router would never receive DHCP requests.

A variety of mothods to assign a DHCP address to the Nook Color were tried: no filtering, MAC level reserved DHCP addresses, open pool address assignments, binding addresses to the MAC address, etc.  In addition we tried various levels of wireless encryption, different length passphrases (the Nook Color always connected).  Nothing appears to work in terms of allowing the Nook Color to obtain a correct IP address from our router.

All this time the Nook Touch connects quickly, and without a problem, using the same setup.

New User
handiggity
0 Kudos

I went through all the same things every one has mentioned in this thread.  Then I remembered a support guy from my wireless router team mentioned the security options might effect different devices.  I changed my security from WEP to WPA-PSK and that worked. I am now able to connect to this router network.

New User
rod0071
0 Kudos

I just received mine a couple days ago and am having the same issue. Very disappointing!! Hopefully some of these posts I have read will help me get up and running.

New User
ariel062810
0 Kudos

i just got my nook for christmas and i can connect to my grandparents wifi just fine but i cant connect to my boyfriends... it keeps telling me "you may have connectivity issues related to WEP security. We recommend that you use WPA/WPA2 for better security and performance if available." i have put in his password then it says obtaining IP address from the network and then it says connecting and then i get the notification that is in quotations above. please help. this is quite frustrating

New User
RubyJules
0 Kudos

Hubby got me the NookColor for Christmas and it won't connect either.

Belkin 54G Router

Security: WPA2-personal

Encryption type: AES

Network problem...a network-related error occurred.

Laptop, Wii, etc all connect no problem. Why is this such a pit to setup?  I would love to be able to use my Christmas present but after an hour, ready to take it back and get the Kindle Fire. My daughter got one from us for Christmas and she was able to get into our network right away entering our password and using the internet.

What does it take to get this connected? I went into Barnes and Noble through my PC and set up my account. Just need to get the Nook to use it. Very frustrating..... 

New User
Cas57
0 Kudos

I had the same problem that everyone else had when setting up the Nook Color for the first time.  If your home network has "Wireless MAC Filtering" enabled, you have to do one of two things:

1 - Disable this feature on the router so that your Nook can join the network.  If you do not know how to do this, find the person who set up your home network and ask them to disable this feature just long enough for your Nook to join your home network.

2 - Take your Nook to someplace like B&N where you can connect to their network, finish the registration process, and then find the MAC address of your Nook.

Once you have registered your Nook, you can find the MAC address as follows:

1 - Tap on the Home button

2 - Tap on "settings" in the lower right corner

3 - Tap on "Device Settings"

4 - Tap on "About your Nook Color"  At the bottom of the screen, you will see "Wi-Fi MAC address".  You will have to add this address to the list of addresses in your wireless MAC filter list on your router.  Then you can re-enable wireless MAC filtering on your router and the Nook will still be able to join your home network.

As an aside, wireless MAC filtering is used as an additional security measure to restrict access to your home network.  Each wireless device has a MAC (Media Access Control) address. When a wireless device attempts to join your home network, the router checks a"wireless MAC clients" list to see if the device that is attempting to join the network is on the list.  If the device is on the list, the router will let the device join the network.  If the device is not on the list, the router will not let the device join the network.

New User
Sullyy
0 Kudos

I had the same symptoms as many of the folks here. I restarted the linksys, etc, but then realized I was entering the wrong info in the Nook color. Setup asks for the password, so i put in what the linksys calls the "pass phrase". This is a string that i set up in the linksys. But what Nook really wanted was the Security Key. This is a very long alphanumeric.

All worked beautifully after that on WEP. Seems to be faster too.

Reader
dwhitaker
0 Kudos

I have the same issue and error message. I have a DLink router and b&n 2nd level support helped me ensure my mac fitering was off and the correct mac addresses are in my router, etc. The problems still persist. B&N even had me deregister my device and reregister, etc. Connection goes in out sometimes frequent sometimes not. Very inconsistent conectivity !
Contributor
noidID
0 Kudos

I seriously wish B&N would address this problem or at least come up with a reliable work-around so that when things are flaky, if you rub your tummy & pat your head twice or whatever, connectivity will be reliably possible.

As a new NC owner, I've been meaning to post my experiences because it seems pretty clear to me there's something flaky about some NCs, at least the newer ones.  My NC (with software 1.3 whatever) was delivered 5/17, and I had the connectivity issue from the beginning.  We have an extensive wired network with a WAP and far too many devices to list -- I'll just say that the network works flawlessly, including all wireless devices, which includes several that stream HD video within the network and over the Internet.

I'll also say that B&N really ought to make it clear that their devices require dynamic IP addressing.  Our network uses mostly static IP addressing, but I already had a range of IP addys defined for a few devices that can't use static IP addressing, which some folks might not know how to do . . . or have equipment that allows both static & IP addressing.  I'm not a network expert by any stretch, but I designed our network and it works perfectly.  Except for with the NC.

B&N tech support was no help other than offering to replace my brand spanking new NC with a refurbished one.  Uh, I don't think so.  Oh, and suggesting that I have a network problem.  Really?  What kind of "network problem" would allow every single device to connect except for the NC?

I found this forum & believe I've tried every suggestion to no avail.  Sometimes the NC will connect, and sometimes it won't.  I've spent way too much time trying to figure out what constellation of factors allows it to sometimes connect but not other times, trying to find some solution that will allow connectivity to be reestablished when it flakes out, and wading through my router & WAP logs looking for clues.  No luck.  I probably wouldn't even care if a work-around was something crazy like forget the connection, reboot, reconnect, forget the connection again, and then reconnect again.  So far, I've not found a magical combination.

I was rapidly approaching 14 days post-delivery, and I finally decided to borrow my daughter's NC, which was her 21st birthday present purchased early in 2011.  It connected flawlessly over a period of 12 or so hours, while my new NC experienced only intermittent connectivity -- it wouldn't connect more than it would.  That pretty much convinced me that there was something wrong with this specific new NC -- maybe it was just a lemon.  So, then I borrowed my brother's NC, which he purchased in 6/2011, and it, too, had no problems connecting via my network.

The next day, we made the 180 mile round trip to the nearest B&N and exchanged the NC.  It worked fine in the store . . . and has experienced the same flaky connectivity with our home network :smileysad:

I really want to love the NC.  Really.  When the connectivity works & I can shop for books & apps as well as do a quick check of my email or use the Internet to look up a book or author, I loveLoveLOVE the device even with the short battery life.  Watching Neflix is icing on the cake & way cool, even if it's over the top :smileyhappy:

So, I guess I'm posting to share my connectivity frustrations and to see if anyone has stumbled across any solutions that perhaps haven't been posted yet?

I'm totally jealous of those of you who don't have connectivity problems!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

noidID wrote:

So, I guess I'm posting to share my connectivity frustrations and to see if anyone has stumbled across any solutions that perhaps haven't been posted yet?

I'm totally jealous of those of you who don't have connectivity problems!

Some suggestions:

Make sure you NC, router and WAP are running the latest firmware version.

Change the speed of your WAP to only G (instead of N or G+N).

Change the Wifi Channel your WAP uses.

If your WAP is several years old consider buying a new one.

What message do you get on the NC when it cannot connect?

Contributor
noidID
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

Some suggestions:

Make sure you NC, router and WAP are running the latest firmware version.

Change the speed of your WAP to only G (instead of N or G+N).

Change the Wifi Channel your WAP uses.

If your WAP is several years old consider buying a new one.

What message do you get on the NC when it cannot connect?

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've tried your suggestions & the other I found in the forum except replacing the WAP.  And, I wouldn't hesitate to replace the WAP if it made any sense to me that the WAP is the problem, but since every other wireless device we have connects flawlessly, I just can't justify spending more replacing the WAP than the NC cost.

As for the error messages, this is the one I've memorized because I've seen it so frequently:

"Sorry to Keep You Waiting

We're currently having trouble processing your request. Please try again. If you continue to receive this error, visit nookcolor.com/support for help."

Another one I commonly see is something about an inability to create a secure connection or something like that -- that's something I see when I open the browser to my IMAP email account.  When that happens, it's always followed by the first one.

The first one is also the message I see with I try to use "Shop." Today is actually the first time in over a week I've been able to Shop or get on the Internet with the NC.  Go figure. And, that's the frustration:  there seems to me no rhyme or reason for when it will connect & when it won't, and I've not stumbled across any magic combo to get it to connect when it's not connecting.

I've asked around to friends to see if anyone has a WAP they'd be willing to loan me or swap with mine so I could try a different WAP, but I've had no luck with that - they don't know what a WAP is. In the coming week, I'm going to try our two local computer shops to see if either has a WAP I could borrow or lease or something for troubleshooting.

After that . . . I think I'll likely just box the NC back up, chalk it up as a dismal failure & financial loss, and pass it along to someone else with the caveat that I had connectivity issues with it. I "upgraded" from my other nameless e-reader because of the lovely color, which would be great for cooking, quilting, craft, etc. books and because of the Internet & Netflix aspects. I've got a 2nd generation iPad that works great, but I really wanted something less bulky like the NC for using around the house outside the kitchen & for taking with me.  However, since 90+% of the time it won't connect so I can shop, it's not working out for me.  I'm a huge reader (generally 2-3 or more books a week, depending), but I've only been able to purchase books twice on the NC.  Yeah, I know I could do it on my PC or my laptop or my iPad or my iPhone or other devices & then sync on the PC, but that's really a PITA & not terribly convenient.

I'm open for other suggestions -- I would dearly love a resolution so the NC would function as it should. And, I'll report back if I have any success finding a loaner WAP to try & whether that resolves the issue for me.

New User
twopinkwheels
0 Kudos

the reality is that tech support should not be required for this -- cleaner programming and design is necessary. if WEP security is not supported, it should not be presented by the tablet as an option to users. 

my original nook color device was able to connect with WEP-encrypted password before my software was upgraded in the store.  when i got home, i had to deal with the laundry list of trials many on this thread have described to troubleshoot -- believing that since it worked before, it must be something I did wrong.  lucky for me, my router was found to support WPA.  I was able to set my router up accordingly with a new style of and password.  now I will have to setup wifi on every other device in the house to work.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This is very true:

the reality is that tech support should not be required for this -- cleaner programming and design is necessary. if WEP security is not supported, it should not be presented by the tablet as an option to users.

I hadn't thought of this, but this really is the most elegant solution. If it's not supported, don't show it. :smileywink:

New User
Vegasboomer

I could  not connect my Nook Color after changing to different carrier, with a new router, the passcode the tech gave me showed lower case on two letters, my Nook would not connect, checked the passcode on the router itself, the two letters are upper case, retried, worked fine.