Reader
Bayou15
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color won't connect to WEP network

Before I completely alienate the NC and mail it back after buying it for my dad, I thought i would give this a try.  So far I have been through this whole site and done a master reset (turning off the NC 8 times to restore to factory), updated the firmware on the NC that didn't take until i copied the sofware SEVERAL TIMES , updated my router to the latest firmware, checked to see if mac filtering was turned on (it wasn't) Tried WPA and WPA2 both AES and TKIP (Live in an apartment so wont go un-encrypted and after all the garbage about WEP, didn't even go there)  The NC says its connected but no internet.  I'm posting this on a laptop with the same wireless internet connection I'm trying to connect the NC to. I've confirmed that the Update to 1.0.1 took and I really dont know what to do next.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if your issue was resolved.

New User
darwiel
0 Kudos

noticed that when theColorNook is allowed to go to sleep and must be unlocked, and is NOT plugged in to an ac adapter, I get the same problem with the same solution, over and over again each time the unit goes to sleep and must be unlocked. until I plug in the AC adapter to the ColorNook. It does not exhibit the problem unless it is disconnected from the AC adapter. Not sure why this is but I would like to hear from a BN engineer before the 10th of January, or there will be a return in the works. I use an unsecured network, so no password or mac filtering is involved. I have a lDLINK DWL-900AP+ WAP.
New User
JasonBXQULI
0 Kudos

**************************************************************************************************

ANDROID DEVICES DO NO SUPPORT AD HOC CONNECTIONS (tethering)!!!!!!!!!!!

I just purchases a nook color for my fiance this Christmas, I also bought a Android tablet for myself and neither would tether wirelessly with my phone (Touch Pro 2).

I checked around and I remembered that Android based devices do not work with AD HOC connections. I also confirmed this with xda-developers (a popular tech site). So if your trying to wirelessly tether/connect your phone to a ad hoc network and can't see your wireless network this is your problem.

I'm currently looking for a program for my phone that will allow me to tether using a non "AD HOC" method, but so far no luck.

From the post I've read on here this is the main problem, the other problems are network configuration issues.

**************************************************************************************************

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

I've been following this thread and I'm not sure why this isn't working for the OP.

My NC connected to my wireless router (a D-Link model WBR-2310) without any issues. I have it set up for basic WEP 128-bit encryption, nothing fancy. It is setup to broadcast the SSID. It worked with both 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 firmware in the Nook.

I know this is a long thread, but I'll ask at the risk of it having been answered already: when you say it's connected but doesn't access the internet, do you mean that the Nook status says "connected" for the wireless? If so, then it thinks it adequately authenticated to the wireless router but something's just blocking it from the internet. Have you tried accessing the router's web page (default 192.168.0.1 or something like that)? If that works, then it's browsing the internal wireless network OK. Then it's an issue of internet blocking caused by.... something...

New User
Dadof4
0 Kudos

Daniel,

I bought the Nook Color for my wife and and having the same problem with it connecting to my DLink access point - model DWL-900AP+.  I have found that when I reset the Access Point the Nook will connect.  However, once the nook goes to sleep and then reawakens, it will not connect to the AP until the AP is rebooted (or power recycled).

I have had no problems with the AP connceting to multiple laptops (HP, Asus, Toshiba), PS3 and Wii game systems, Ipod touch, Ninetendo DS, and my motorola cell phone.

Additionally, I have read other posts that have a similar descriptions for some wireless devices.

The Nook engineers need to correct this issue ASAP.

New User
sfloss
0 Kudos

I am just wondering if YOU have actually contacted the customer support.  They are dimwits that know NOTHING about the product that they are supposedly supporting.  Three hours of being on hold with them for NOTHING.  So I don't know why you keep pushing it.

Contributor
SchachMeister

Hi! I'm a computer tech, but I feel your pain. I get that "foreign language" feeling alot when I read some Linux blogs trying to look stuff up.

MAC filtering is just another security meaure that some wireless accesspoints and routers use. Bascially, all network devices, wired and wireless have a long 12 character "ID tag" that serves as thier unique identifier in the world. Whith MAC filtering turned on, the wireless router or access point keeps a "whitelist" or list of MAC addresses that it will talk to. If a device is not on the list, that device may make an initial connection, but won't be allowed to do anything like access the internet.

I think ATT U-Verse is one of those "we do everyting for you" services. I think they provide your internet and home wireless? If so, you could just call them and ask them if MAC filtering is enabled on your home wireless. If it is, then yes, this could easily be your problem. You will either have to have them turn off the filtering, or have them add the Nook's MAC address to the list.

Now, before you go calling ATT, here's a quick question. If a friend brings his or her laptop that has never connected at your house before, and you give the password, are they able to connect? If so, then MAC filtering is NOT your problem and you don't need to waste any time playing with MAC addresses. (Or, with the regular Nook, did you connect that yourself, or did ATT have to do something for it to work?)

If friends can bring thiere wireless devices over and connect when you give them the password, then it is worth calling ATT and asking them these two questions: 1. Does your home wireless use WEP encryption? (worth verifying with them) 2. Is the "authentication" "open" or does it use "shared key." If they don't know what this means, then they are hopeless as tech support folks. Previously, with the origional Nook Color firmware, mine would not connect at all using WEP encryption with Shared Key authentication. Once I changed it to WEP with Open authentication, it has worked flawlessly. Since you have been unable to connect to the internet, you may not have been able to recieve the 1.01 update patch that supposedly has fixed this problem.

Hey, you can install the patch manually form a computer as well! Visit this page to download the patch and view instructins:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-support-software-update/379002520/?cds2Pid=35758

Click on the word "here" in that first paragraph at the top. You should be able to install this update from your PC directly to your Nook using the included USB cable.

Now, I can also tell you how to do all the wirless stuff yourself without calling ATT. It is really not hard. Let me know if you'd like some instructins on how to access your home wireless router.

I'll quit my rambellings for now. Best of luck with your new Nook Color. It really is a great device once you connect and set it up. I

Contributor
SchachMeister
0 Kudos

Hmm... sounds very fustrating. Which is a shame, because the device really is great once it works. All I can say is that with the origional firmware, it would NOT connect to my WEP encrypted with Shared Key authentication AP at home. Once I changed it to WEP encryption with Open authentication, it worked PERFECTLY.

I have some older wireless clients at home that are unable to utilize any of the other encryption methods. So I have not tried those. Often, wireless devices won't connect to a "shared key" authentication system until you dig through the advanced settings and change the authentication type. However, I noticed that the Nook Color does not have any advanced wireless settings....

Contributor
SchachMeister
0 Kudos

I imagine the only way your Nook Color would connect to a mobile WiFi device is if that device truely functioned as a standard WiFi access point and not as an Ad Hoc connection. A quick way to test this is use your Windows based laptop to look at the wirieless WiFi provider. In the Wirleless connections, what does the icon look like? If it looks like a laptop, then the WiFi device is working in Ad Hoc mode. If it looks like a regular antenna or access point (like the one at your house) then the Nook Color should be able to connect to it.

I am not that familiar with WiFi from cellular devices, but I think several vendors are advertising "mobile hotspot" capibilities on thier phones and other cellular devices.

Now, if you are trying to tether your actual laptop to a phone (Andrid or other) and are having problems, check out a program called PdaNET. But this is off topic here.

Best of luck!

Reader 2
SpartacusZB
0 Kudos

Same here...I can connect to my router, but not get out to the Internet.  I give up. 

I've tried every combination of security--WPA, WPA2, WEP, AES/TKIP (including none, just for a test).  I've tried wireless n, g, and b, and every combination therein.  I've rebooted router, cable modem, and the Nook dozens of times.  At least 15 hours put into this.  The NC works fine on a public WiFi network, but not my home network (where all my other devices work fine).  

I upgraded the software to 1.0.1 via a sideload.

I believe B&N needs to list out which routers are NOT compatible with the NC, so we can quit driving ourselves nuts.  The only solution I've read here that seems to work is "buy a new router."

However, adding the cost/time of adding a new router makes the delta between the iPad and Nook much lower, so I may keep my router, return the NC, and get a sweet iPad.

Contributor
Runamuck
0 Kudos

SchachMeister wrote:

Hi! I'm a computer tech, but I feel your pain. I get that "foreign language" feeling alot when I read some Linux blogs trying to look stuff up.

MAC filtering is just another security meaure that some wireless accesspoints and routers use. Bascially, all network devices, wired and wireless have a long 12 character "ID tag" that serves as thier unique identifier in the world. Whith MAC filtering turned on, the wireless router or access point keeps a "whitelist" or list of MAC addresses that it will talk to. If a device is not on the list, that device may make an initial connection, but won't be allowed to do anything like access the internet.

I think ATT U-Verse is one of those "we do everyting for you" services. I think they provide your internet and home wireless? If so, you could just call them and ask them if MAC filtering is enabled on your home wireless. If it is, then yes, this could easily be your problem. You will either have to have them turn off the filtering, or have them add the Nook's MAC address to the list.

Now, before you go calling ATT, here's a quick question. If a friend brings his or her laptop that has never connected at your house before, and you give the password, are they able to connect? If so, then MAC filtering is NOT your problem and you don't need to waste any time playing with MAC addresses. (Or, with the regular Nook, did you connect that yourself, or did ATT have to do something for it to work?)

If friends can bring thiere wireless devices over and connect when you give them the password, then it is worth calling ATT and asking them these two questions: 1. Does your home wireless use WEP encryption? (worth verifying with them) 2. Is the "authentication" "open" or does it use "shared key." If they don't know what this means, then they are hopeless as tech support folks. Previously, with the origional Nook Color firmware, mine would not connect at all using WEP encryption with Shared Key authentication. Once I changed it to WEP with Open authentication, it has worked flawlessly. Since you have been unable to connect to the internet, you may not have been able to recieve the 1.01 update patch that supposedly has fixed this problem.

Hey, you can install the patch manually form a computer as well! Visit this page to download the patch and view instructins:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-support-software-update/379002520/?cds2Pid=35758

Click on the word "here" in that first paragraph at the top. You should be able to install this update from your PC directly to your Nook using the included USB cable.

Now, I can also tell you how to do all the wirless stuff yourself without calling ATT. It is really not hard. Let me know if you'd like some instructins on how to access your home wireless router.

I'll quit my rambellings for now. Best of luck with your new Nook Color. It really is a great device once you connect and set it up. I

Nice post, but for the record and for all other AT&T Uverse users experiencing issues with their Nook Color and the Uverse router, please note the following.

The AT&T Uverse Residential Gateway is an AT&T controlled device.  It is actually a rebranded 2Wire router, model 3800 HGV-B.  You can't change the firmware of the device or your Uverse equipment will fail to operate as this residential gateway controls your television, voice, DSL/Internet and WiFi connectivity as an all-in-one device.

That said, the installed device will have the following characteristics BY DEFAULT.  Meaning, youd have to had manually gone in and changed them yourself for the device to be doing anything other than what I'm posting here. 

SSID: Broadcasted BY DEFAULT

Mac Filtering: DISABLED BY DEFAULT

Security: WPA-PSK (TKIP) BY DEFAULT

You can go into your router and change any or all of the above settings to try some of the voodoo that people are suggesting, but you can ignore the comments about "Turn your Mac filtering OFF" or "Make sure your SSID is broadcasting" as this device has certain default configs that are never changed by the AT&T Uverse techs when they come out to install the service.  And changing any of the WiFi settings shouldn't have any impact on your remaining Uverse services either.

But just thought I'd share that the Uverse forums are FILLED with other customers complaining about Nook Color connectivity issues with this residential gateway device.  I suffer from frequent "Can't Connect" issues that are only solved by a router reboot (rebooting the NC does nothing) and ONLY solved by doing a reboot, which works without fail every single time.  The Uverse router otherwise works flawlessly with over two dozen OTHER WiFi enabled devices in my home, and the NC otherwise connects flawlessly to other WiFi access points.  But these two devices just plain don't like one another for some reason.  Rebooting your router, frequently, is your only recourse. 

Oh and the problem actually got better when I upgraded to 1.0.1.  Now instead of NEVER being able to connect, I can do so at least after a router reboot.  Otherwise....forget it.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

I understand that the end-user cannot (and should not attempt to) make changes to those AT&T routers, but I'm pretty sure that the ATT&T techs can make changes remotely, if only we knew exactly what the problem was with the configuration.  The NC works flawlessly with too many other brand-name routers for me to believe that all the blame can be hoisted B&N/Android's shoulders.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
Runamuck
0 Kudos

The problem is, not to make this a redundant sentence, nobody knows what the problem is.  As stated, the AT&T Uverse routers (and many others) work FLAWLESSLY with everything else BUT the Nook Color.  The Nook Color also appears to work FLAWLESSLY with everything else BUT this router or that one.  I don't lay the blame on the Nook Color but its also silly to lay it on AT&T/Uverse/2Wire, DLink, Linksys or any other router manufacturer. 

It's simply (or not so simply) some kind of comms barrier between this unique combination of Nook Color + "insert router here."  There's no reason why my Nintendo DS, a Sony PSP, 3 iPhones, 2 iPod touches, 2 Android phones, 1 Galaxy Tab, 1 iPad, a Kindle, a Sony PS3, an Xbox 360, 3 Windows laptops, 4 Apple computers, a Western Digital Live media box and my son's Vtech toy can ALL access my Uverse router without any issues at all but the Nook Color can't.  It just can't. 

But until it can without me having to reboot my router several times a day, the device is crippled for me.

Reader
puppydog10
0 Kudos

I'm also having a problem.  Wi-Fi works fine at home with my laptop, PDA and X Box, but I can't get a connection to Nookcolor.  My Wi-Fi connections shows up, but when I try to connect it goes back saying "disconnected".  I can go to a coffee shop that offers free Wi-Fi and it's fine.  My service provider acts like they don't know what I'm talking about and maybe I just don't know what to ask for.  Any ideas?.

New User
jcal
0 Kudos

WOOOHOOO I Finally got it to work... My Wife Network setting was not compatible had to pay for a engineer to fix just need to change a setting on the router to TKIP... spent hours waiting for BN support when I got there they just sent me on a wild goose chase... get a smart friend and have them change your router setting to TKIP it should work.. also get the 1.0.1 update on the nook color support site

Frequent Contributor
HipHopSays
0 Kudos

i have WEP enabled wifi in my house...and haven't had a problem connecting to my network.... you might want to go to settings>wireless ... and make sure under security WEP is enabled.

New User
sally2aqui
0 Kudos

I bought my wife a Nook Color for Christmas.  We have AT&T U-Verse with the U-Verse control everything, TV, phones, internet, Gateway (Router).  Tried to connect to the home U-verse Wi-Fi without success.  Strange, because I had successfully connected the basic Nook months before. The Nook Color recognized my U-Verse Wi-Fi, denied the password when I entered it wrong, and accepted it when I entered the correct password.  Then it tried to connect, and although no problem with settings, Nook Color came back with an attempt, "unsuccessful".  What could I do?  I was sure not going to tamper with the settings on the U-Verse Gateway, and possibly screw up telephone, TV's and internet.  But then I tried my iPad which would always connect, and it would not connect either. Problem was clearly in my U-Verse, Wi-Fi.

Solution:  So I remember what the U-Verse installation tech told me, with a problem with U-Verse, and when in doubt, reboot the Gateway.  I unplugged the power cord from the rear of the Gateway, and then plugged it back in after about a minute or so.  Viola!  iPad and Nook Color both connected to my AT&T U-Verse Wi-Fi right away.  U-Verse also has instructions for hooking up the Nook to the Wi-Fi and also has a U-Verse support tool that you can download onto your PC to check and repair problems.

New User
Tminzero
0 Kudos

There are several things to check:

1. On the router make sure you are using WEP.

2. Check to see if you have the correct SSID name, if its not listed automatically.

3. Check if you have the correct password for your WEP network

4. Check which protocol the router is using, (ie) B/G/N, some can have different SSIDs for G and N

5. On the router see if MAC filtering is turned on. If it is you may have to add the Nook MAC address to the PERMIT table.

Contributor
SchachMeister
0 Kudos

And remember, if you are using WEP security, authentication must be "open" instead of "shared key." "Open" is ususally the default authentication type for WEP on most routers, so unless you intentionally tried to tighten your security, you should be OK. I just learned the hard way that WEP with "Shared Key" authentication did not work with my Nook on origional firmware and my D-Link router.