New User
seawolf23
0 Kudos

Nook Color won't connect to WEP network

Just picked up my Nookcolor only to find out it's unable to connect to my WEP protected G-router. It finds the network and asks for and accepts the password but it won't connect. Has no problem connecting to an open network. No help from tech support saying they'd contact me within 48 hours. Hate getting hardware that's doesn't have the kinks worked out yet.

Contributor
Zippercat
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color won't connect to WEP network

I will try mine tomorrow at the s-i-l's, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Correspondent
NanaLou
0 Kudos

I picked up my NOOKColor yesterday and had the same problem where it would not connect to my WEP router.  I then tried my MIFI WPA card and that one connected.  I went back to my WEP wireless router and it connected. 

I would suggest going to a WI-FI Hotspot to see if it will connect there.

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

have your tried rebooting your wireless router?

Nook_Engineer

We've seen some issues where the wifi router has been set up (sometimes by a cable/DSL provider) to have MAC address filtering turned on.  When that is the case, devices and computers can connect to the wifi router, but still can't access the internet.  Turning off the MAC address filtering (or adding the NOOKcolor's MAC address to the table) solves the problem.

You may want to try checking your wifi router's settings for this. 

Cheers,

-Jeffrey

Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

You may also want to try "forgetting" your wifii, then re-adding it.  Then when you type in the password, check on the "show password" box to verify that the password is correct. 

Good luck,

-Jeffrey

New User
bookmasterp6
0 Kudos

I just got my Nook Color and typed in my password to connect to my wifi.  The Nook Color says it's connected.....but no internet.  How can it be connected with an excellent strength and not connect to the internet?  My laptop is working just fine on the wifi.  Any suggestions?

Contributor
amberfl
0 Kudos

I am also having the same problem.  I found my network, put in the password (did show password ot make sure it matched).  It then says its connected with excellent strength but as soon as I hit the continue button, it takes me to a screen saying there was a network-related error and I may have lost connectivity.  I have connected other wireless devices to my network before with no problem.  I tried rebooting my Nook and still no change.  This is very frustrating since I can't seem to do anything with my Nook until I do this initial registration.

New User
BretMT
0 Kudos

A network-related error occurred.  This is the message that displays on the brand new nookcolor we just purchased.

I have rebooted the wi-fi, I have rebooted the nook, I have told nook to forget my wi-fi and then re-registered it, I have even asked it nicely to please continue with setup, all to no avail.

Funny, we have two nook classics and a laptop in this house and they work fine.

Wait. . . wait. . . Okay, now it's working and allowed me to complete the registration process.

I told the nook to forget our wi-fi and then re-accessed the wi-fi this time selecting 'show password'.

I don't know if this actually made a difference or maybe the gremlins inside were not looking but, whatever the case, the nookcolor is up and running.  This will make my wife happy.

New User
WynDncr

I am experiencing the same thing. Very frustrating and taking the excitment of a new toy out of the picture for the moment

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Just curious, did you all read Nook Engineer's post in this very thread that says to check and make sure that your router isn't set up with MAC address filtering turned on?  

Contributor
Deleen2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How do I do this? My NOOKcolor will connect to the wi-fi in my house, but then says connected, but no Internet? I've tried a restart from tech support.All my computers are connected to the internet with no problems.

Contributor
amberfl
0 Kudos

Mine is working fine now this morning.  I wonder if it was B&N's server that was actually overrun or too busy.  My Nook connected first thing this morning with no problems (6 AM).

Distinguished Correspondent
scott88
0 Kudos

I was having a problem but could visit websites so I knew I was connected to the internet.

A problem with the B&N servers fits. Registering or shopping or setting up the Facebook or Twitter link needs B&N's servers. Going to the web does not.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Frequent Contributor
giddybird
0 Kudos

Thank you - I was having trouble too, and your idea to "forget" wifi and re-add it WORKED!!!!!!

New User
WmGraham
0 Kudos

In our case it was required that we reset the connection on both the router and the Color Nook.  Just forgetting the Wireless Access point on the Nook was not sufficient.

Symptom: Color Nook registered through the wireless correctly on the first try but then on all subsequent attempts to reconnect the Wireless network was found, connection started, and then immediately reported as disconnected.  Forgetting and restoring the connection did not fix the problem.

Solution: Power off the router, Forget the connection on the Color Nook, power off the Color Nook, power on the router, power on the Nook and re-create the wireless connection by entering the security password again.

Frequent Contributor
Puppy_Dad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

WmGraham wrote:

In our case it was required that we reset the connection on both the router and the Color Nook.  Just forgetting the Wireless Access point on the Nook was not sufficient.

Symptom: Color Nook registered through the wireless correctly on the first try but then on all subsequent attempts to reconnect the Wireless network was found, connection started, and then immediately reported as disconnected.  Forgetting and restoring the connection did not fix the problem.

Solution: Power off the router, Forget the connection on the Color Nook, power off the Color Nook, power on the router, power on the Nook and re-create the wireless connection by entering the security password again.

I have almost the same problem but I don't need to forget on the Nook Color just cycle the router. Sometimes forgetting the Nook and re-entering the password will work but not often.   Also when the Nook goes to sleep it breaks the link and will not reconnect until I cycle the router.  Mac filtering is off, I have an apple Ipod touch on the wireless network so I know the network is sound.  Hope Nook Tech engineer can help with this one. By the way we have the classic Nook that has no problems with out wifi network. And our network is WPA/WPA2 PSK

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I had this happen a few times. It a Nook issue, no need to reset your router. It seems Nook has an issue retransmitting a saved password after it connects to another network. I found a simple 2 step solution. First go to setting and press "wireless". Press and hold network giving the problem and "forget" it. Then press green button and turn the wireless off. Wait for a full wireless shutdown then turn it back on. Press network, reenter password and connect. All should be ok .

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Frequent Contributor
Puppy_Dad
0 Kudos

Thanks PeterDe,  that seems like a fix.  I will keep an eye on the problem and report back if it shows up again.

Reader
Gish
0 Kudos

I just got my Nookcolor and it won't connect to my WEP address.  Where do I make sure about this "mac address" thing.   I tried turning my router on and off and nothing.....I need a step by step how to fix this.....HELP !!!