Reader 4
ssr22
0 Kudos

Nook Does Not Display Covers for Sideloaded Books - Even Those Purchased from BN.com

I downloaded a book I purchased from bn.com to my PC and then sideloaded it onto my Nook Color (I archived it so it won't come up automatically from my Nook account in my books). The cover does not display for the sideloaded version...What's up with that?

I have two Nook Colors and share one with my young daughter (since I buy all the books). I wanted to have some of the books I purchased to show up only on one of the nooks (she doesn't need to read romances), but it is a bummer that I won't be able to see the covers if I archive them on my account and then sideload them to my nook.

Contributor
crybbchub
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Does Not Display Covers for Sideloaded Books - Even Those Purchased from BN.com

well, it normal if  the ebook is sideloaded.

NOOkaholic Anonymous

Reader 4
ssr22
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Does Not Display Covers for Sideloaded Books - Even Those Purchased from BN.com

I didn't understand your comment about my Nook Color.

Are you saying that cover thumbnails don't show for sideloaded content no matter what? It seems that if the cover shows for the book when it comes directly from my nook library, it should also show if I choose to add the same book by sideloading...

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Covers don't tend to show up for sideloaded content and you can't do anything if that content is DRMed, but you can if it is not.  I have epubs with no DRM that I just take into Calibre and verify that the cover page shows up as an image in the metadata and then re-convert it to an epub and the cover will show up. 

If I'm sideloading content from BN or from other sources and it has DRM well the covers don't show up.  I think BN is aware of this and may incorporate this into a fix when an update comes out.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Covers don't show for sideloads.

See Nook_Engineer's reply here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/Nook-Color-does-not-display-cover...

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

We're aware of the issue and are trying to find a way to show thumbnails for more sideloaded content.

We are working on getting more sideloaded covers to show in library.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Mine will show up when I open the book.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

The following information was copied from a post by user Baka No Kami on the Mobileread forum:

I think I found something. I took a couple of epubs that wouldn't show the covers on the NC, converted them to mobi files, then back to epub after removing the original. The covers started showing up on the NC like it had when others tried that.

Then I opened up the new epubs and compared some of the files to the original versions looking to see what had changed.

Inside the epubs in a file called content.opf I found the following lines:

In the <metadata> section:
<meta name="cover" content="cover1"/>

And in the <manifest> section:
<item href="cover.jpeg" id="cover1" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

That "cover1" was just "cover" in the working epubs. It looks like when the NC scans a new epub it looks for something to have the id of "cover" in this file. If the cover image isn't assigned an id of "cover" then the NC doesn't use the image. I removed the '1' from those two lines in the original, non-cover, epubs and reloaded them onto the NC. Once I refreshed the epubs started showing with the right cover images.

This might not be the case for all files, but at least it's something that's easy to check/fix.

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

If that doesn't work (it didn't for me), there's another method I just posted here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/HOW-can-i-get-convers-to-show-for...