Reader
nursie76
0 Kudos

Nook Suddenly reset itself and acted like first use, Lost all my stuff

Just turned on my Nook Color. Started up, but then shut down, got it to begin to start up again and it said was backing up to (something, couldn't read what), then just kept coming on and off. Then when I pluged into battery charger, did come on, but just as if was new out of box, had to re-register and all. I had about150 books in my files and only the ones in my B & N grouping are left. Now what? Am very upset!

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Suddenly reset itself and acted like first use, Lost all my stuff

Did you update your Color Nook software to 1.2.0?

If not, you may have had the software automatically download and install itself. After that it restarts and you have to re-register it and download the books you have purchased through B&N.

I keep any side loaded items on the micro SD card, that I load form my PC and keep a copy of the loaded files on the PC.

New User
boydel
0 Kudos

Nook Suddenly reset itself and acted like first use, Lost all my stuff

Same thing happened on my nook 1st edition! I have about 900 books / documents in it! Lost all my files, shelfs even the firmware version was reset to version 1.5! Very, very disappointed, I want to break my nook to pieces!

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

boydel wrote:

Same thing happened on my nook 1st edition! I have about 900 books / documents in it! Lost all my files, shelfs even the firmware version was reset to version 1.5! Very, very disappointed, I want to break my nook to pieces!

That happened to me over and over again with my N1E. It started about a year ago. Every time I turned it off and then back on again, it reset itself and started the updates all over again from the very first one. Then, I would have register it again and d/l all of my books. What a PITA!!!!!!!!! I left in on one time and it shut itself off when the battery dropped down and the whole process started again. I  ended up buying a NC and a NST. My husband is still using the N1E and as long as he uses it on a daily basis and keeps it charged, he hasn't had a problem. I feel your pain............it made me want to throw the thing against a wall :smileysad:

New User
Bellalyne
0 Kudos

My brand new HD did the same thing reset itself and I had to start over again. So, frustrating. I just bought it Dec 2012. Not sure why it would do this it ran low on energy and then after charge its was as if I just bought it.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Bellalynne, did you let it lose charge completely.

What's supposed to happen is that all devices have a 5% or so emergency store. So even when you see power go down completely, that store is still there.

If, however, you don't recharge it and just let it stay untouched for a long time, then even that 5% gets used up. IN that case, it MIGHT happen that it resets.

Best way to avoid it is to recharge your Nook the minute it hits 15% or 20% charge.

It's also not good for the life of the battery to let it run out completely.