Contributor
Joel_65
0 Kudos

Nook Update Kills Videos

[ Edited ]

I installed the v1.2 update last night. Now all my videos say Sorry, cannot play this video. They all worked fine before the update. What is the problem?

I have about 8GB of videos that are now useless. How do I get them to play?

Joel

Inspired Contributor
RucknRun
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Update Kills Videos

I checked the video that I had on my Nook.  It still works fine.  Not sure what changed on yours.  Mine is all h.264 MP4 video with Stereo sound.

Contributor
Joel_65
0 Kudos

they are h.264 the codec shows as avc1 

qt  : Apple QuickTime (.MOV/QT)
File Type: QuickTime (.MOV)
Mime Type: video/quicktime
Recommended Display Size: 318 x 240

Frequent Contributor
ncsplendor
0 Kudos

Supported File Types****

Load these popular formats for eBooks, graphics, audio, and other file types from your computer or microSD card.

• EPUB (including Non or Adobe DRM)
  • PDF
  • Other documents: XLS, DOC, PPT, PPS, TXT, DOCM, XLSM, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, DOCX, XLX, PPTX
  • Graphics: JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
  • Audio: MP3, MP4, AAC
  • Video: MP4

Not Supported: LIT, AMZ (Amazon), LRZ/LRX (Sony)

When I first got my NC( before 1.2 Update) I tried to copy movies from itunes that I had purchased and they would not play. I had to copy my DVD's with mactheripper and then used handbrake to convert the files to the MP4 format needed. The DVD quality was lost of course but the picture and sound was great for a handheld devise.

Now with the 1.2 Update my movie files lag, just ever so slightly and the picture is more pixilated. This is quite frustrating. I ranted and raved about how great it is to just pull the NC out and have my kids watch a bit of a movie to keep them occupied for a moment.

I hope there are techies reading these forums and working out the bugs. Or let us know the best way to have our videos top notch again. 

Reader 4
MetaWolf
0 Kudos

Same problem.  I have about 6GB of videos that all played before 1.2.  Now all of them say Video Cannot be Played.  They are M4V format, which is MP4 without the sound. (They are in sign language.)  VERY FRUSTRATING.  I probably can convert them, but I have over a 100 videos to convert.

Contributor
Joel_65
0 Kudos

You must be using them for preaching and deaf canvassing. ;-)

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

I think DVD Catalyst can do batch conversions.

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Contributor
Joel_65
0 Kudos

I am sure it can. The issue I have is that the videos worked just fine before and now they will not play.

I should not have to do a batch conversion. B&N should fix what they have broken. :-)

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Joel_65 wrote:

I am sure it can. The issue I have is that the videos worked just fine before and now they will not play.

I should not have to do a batch conversion. B&N should fix what they have broken. :-)

DVD Cat does do batch, but it will not fix the issue with video playback. There are a couple of threads in the General Discussion area on this topic as well, including 2 I started.

There are mixed results, that are partially related to the settings used (lower-resolution video files (320x240) seem to have less appearant playback issues, but of course the video quality is less) as well as the personal perception of the user regarding video playback. For people who are using video on their nookcolors on a daily basis, the difference in playback performance was noticable right after installing the update, but for people who watched video on it once in a while, the issue was less appearant.

Based on tests I ran, as well as looking at other peoples comments regarding the issue, the problem lies with the updated video codecs in the new Android OS version that came with the update. The Android version itself doesn't seem to be the cause of this, since video playback on my Droid X is flawless, however, possibly due to changes B&N made to the operating system itself to make it "NOOK" something didn't get modified correctly.

On XDA, someone mentioned that he updated the codecs in CM7 (custom firmware for the NOOK) to 1.2 and noticed the playback issue. When he switched back to 1.1 codecs, all was well.

I mentioned this, as well as findings of my tests to B&N, and they have mentioned they are looking into the issue.

New User
vdnk064
0 Kudos

Hi, All

Try the format MP4 for Mobile phone when U convert your video. This one seems work fine for devices with limited format choices. My video in this format is working fine.  For some unknown reason, the other MP4 format does not work all the time ...

vdnk064