New User
lekahbatch
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color PDF problem

I have this same problem, has anyone found a way to fix it? 

Reader 2
patches8
0 Kudos

I've been using my NC to read exclusively PDF files. I never had any problem, small files, 200+ mb files. But today I loaded a small PDF onto my card, and I can't read it. The front cover shows up. And pages with the line "this page is intentionally left blank" show up. But the rest are just big red cross. I have no problem reading it on computer. And I found that all those big red cross pages were being OCRed and the ones that can be shown on the NC were just plain images. So I think something is wrong with the way they OCRed the PDF.

New User
rws197
0 Kudos

I don't get the 'X' but I've been having a problem with loading pdfs. The first three pdfs I loaded showed the pictures load almost as negatives (black and white) or just solid black. One pdf I'm trying only loads half way and then crashes back to the home screen. I still haven't been able to get it to load properly.

New User
magnetflipper
0 Kudos

Big red CROSS is where there should be a photograph of the cover of my Pdf book ! What is the problem with the Pdf reader on the Nook Color that I cannot see the photograph ? I have read all the posts on this forum and so far there is NO SOLUTION as to WHAT THE PROBLEM IS !!!

This book has all RED X where there are photos !! I am NOT in a GOOD Mood !! B&N !!!

B&N WAKE-UP !!! Do you read your own forums ???

I have spent $ 360. and I want a answer soon....:smileymad:

Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
0 Kudos

Contributor
Tom_in_Texas
0 Kudos

I'm using a PDF converter as a workaround, as well.  But it's kind of a pain to have to take a PDF file and run it through a PDF converter before I can use it on the Nook Color. 

So I'm still really hoping that we'll see a real fix in the near future to eliminate the need for this kind of workaround.

Reader
choize
0 Kudos

I tried the cutepdf, and that didnt work for me. Hope this can be fixed on the next update.

Please upgrade the NC, I like it now but could learn to love it!
New User
kplusalot
0 Kudos

*Bump*

I have the same problem.  My pdf is an all-text legal document, but most of it seems to be in image format.  Since it has signatures on it, it must be a scanned copy.  I get the red x for each text passage, but the page numbers at the bottom of each page look fine.

I am leaning toward this as an OCR issue as well, but that does not change the fact that I cannot open my pdf document without installing a third party app on a PC and using it to "convert" my pdf to a new pdf.

Can we depend on a fix for this with the large firmware update in January?  Please?!

New User
Consumer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have the same problem: Big Red X for OCR/pdfs.

Old/scanned books aren't readable. Is there fix in the pipeline?

thanks

Contributor
zombieprocess
0 Kudos

It would be great if we could get an update on this, Jeffrey.

Could you share any plans that are on the horizon?

Might I suggest a B&N blessed side-loaded PDF viewer that does not have this same issue? (a workaround)

To everyone else, if you have a good technical constitution it is possible to put the Android market place on your NookColor, and with that have access to other PDF viewers. Here is a review of what I'm talking about: Nook Color Review.

I'd do this myself, but I returned my Nookcolor. I'm watching this thread though as I would most likely buy the Nookcolor again once this issue has been resolved.

-zombieprocess

New User
kplusalot
0 Kudos

Wow, that's pretty harsh.  Others have threatened, but you have actually returned yours.  You would definitely think that BN would want to do something about that one.

Contributor
Tom_in_Texas
0 Kudos

Since the PDF support is really the only complaint I have with an otherwise excellent device, I'm not wanting to root it in order to get access to a better PDF reader.

But I would certainly appreciate an update from B&N on when we can expect to see either a firmware upgrade that will resolve the "Red X" problem or access to another PDF reader for the NC that will work for these files.  I'd be happy with either solution.

New User
Midnightsgem
0 Kudos

Well, a few thoughts:

First of all, the issue MIGHT be that part or all of the PDF you are trying to view is copyright protected. If you are downloading or purchasing from 3rd party sites that may be the issue. B&N seems to be pretty strict about copyright infringement. This is just a guess on my part.....

Secondly, to those with issues with monitoring of this site.....you do realize it's the holidays? And to RonzNook and others with issues of the in store staff, you do realize these are booksellers, not tech guys, right?

New User
kplusalot
0 Kudos

I am pretty sure that it is not all a copy-write problem.  I know for a fact that my legal documents do not fall into that category.  Copy protection could be a contributing factor in some cases though.

As far as the holiday support is concerned though, this thread is over a month old.  A moderator (nook_engineer) picked up the case almost immediately but has not provided any new information or updates since.

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

I have a problem too with online books like...

http://www.archive.org/download/amongmalaypirate00hent/amongmalaypirate00hent.pdf

Just get the BIG RED X.

The sales person at BN (Amy) said I should have no problem with PDF scanned books.

I specifically asked since this was going to be a gift for my son.

Should the reader go back or will this get fixed via an update. Thanks.

Reader 2
JG_Coleman
0 Kudos

I'm a yet another experiencing the same issue.  Every OCR/PDF file that I open on the Nook Color renders as red X's.

I've attempted to use the CutePDF work-around, with only limited success.  CutePDF works for some of the OCR/PDFs, but with others it seems to lock up and doesn't ultimately create the outputted PDF.

One OCR/PDF that didn't work, for example, was roughly 900 pages long.  CutePDF processed it to 43% and then froze.  The file is not corrupted, though... it opens just fine on Adobe Reader.

This whole issue is something of let-down for me.  I generally prefer printed books, but recently I've found that Google Books offers a wealth of scanned historical books for free download.  As a researcher, these have been very helpful to me, so my goal with the Nook Color was to have an e-book reader on which I could keep/read a library of PDFs of historical books that I download from Google Books.  These books were all published pre-1900 and every one of them is an OCR/PDF.

Thus, this one little flaw in the PDF reading software on the Nook Color has really crippled its usefulness to me.  Since it was advertised to be able to read PDFs, I really never thought this would be an issue.

Also, it's not as if OCR/PDFs are all that uncommon.  For historical books, they are practically the standard, since they allow readers to see the original, scanned printed page and yet still let you search the document text using an invisible "plain text" layer.  OCR/PDFs are very useful... it's really a shame they aren't supported on the Nook Color.

Literally everything else about the unit is very impressive.  I just really hope that the next update remedies this issue.

hpg
Contributor
hpg
0 Kudos

I used cutepdf on a huge 1000 page book that the NC could not read. after cutepdf it was read by the nook, with all its built in limitations for pdf's. But at least it is readable-no redx. Don't know why your file does not work. BTW-I have very powerful computers but I used a simple netbook with ordinary processing power to do the cutepdf conversion. 

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

PDF is a very complex format that has lots of choices, such as for compression formats for images. There is probably some limitation in the NC pdf viewer that doesn't support some of the formats. I remember reading somewhere about lack of support for jpeg 2000 images. This is very often an add-on for other pdf viewers. Something like that is probably the problem.

Quite possibly the next update will address that since it has certainly been a very strong complaint on this forum.

Contributor
Sstipsn
0 Kudos

Well, I'm getting something quite different than everyone else! I'm not getting red Xs, but the words in the pdf file are scrambled and smooshed together... I am not too found of the idea of having to go through and convert all the pdf files I need (I purchased the nook color because it was suppose to be pdf friendly and I use pdf files for school). However, I will attempt to convert these files (I'm not exactly a computer person). I'm just not happy about it.

I know there are already plenty of complaints on here about this, but I figured that the squeeky wheel gets the grease :-)

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

I have a 904 page pdf of a financial accounting book that is very picture and graph heavy and my NC reads the file with no problem, my problem was the fact that every time I read from the pdf, when I reopen it it's back at page 1.  In a 20 or 30 page file this wouldn't be a problem, but in a 904 page document it's a royal PITA!  I have been assured that the coming update is definitely supposed to upgrade the pdf rendering on the device. I would never return my NC because of this as other than the problems with pdfs I LOVE this thing! I just wish somebody could give at least a rough idea as to when we should expect the update. I don't care about the Android update that everyone seems to be buzzing about, I just want to be able to save my place in my pdf book and maybe highlight and take notes.

As for the fact that nook_engineer hasn't replied, my guess is that he probably has nothing to add. I have found all the BN people around here to be very helpful. I even sent a PM to one and while it took a few days, I did get a personal response. I guess what I'm saying in a nutshell is that we all just need to be patient! Thousands of people got new Nook and Nook Colors for Christmas just a week ago. Between the increased demand on the company's servers, the increased calls to technical support, and the fact that we are in the holidays and the Northeast (where the call center is located) was hit by a huge blizzard, I think we all just need to be patient. This really is a great device, but as with other electronic gadgets you pay a price for being an early adopter! I am not normally a patient person, but given everything that I've listed here, I think we all have to be patient........