Correspondent
Traff
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color PDF problem

A lot of my reading is PDF files too.  I have a whole load of math books in PDF format and while I'm chuffed to bits to be able to carry them around with me, I'm a bit peeved that I also have to carry a bit of paper to record what page I was looking at...

Contributor
zombieprocess
0 Kudos

Hey folks, I thought I would also chime in regarding this issue and backup what ladytonya said. The Nookcolor uses Quickoffice for reading PDF's (and MS Office docs). B&N is in the same boat with us, where they have to go and open a support request with them to get the bug fixed, then get that fixed package converted and in the pipeline to push out to all the Nookcolors.

I'm hoping with the PDF sample I was able to sent to nook_engineer (Jeffrey) will speed the process up for patching that issue. (In the software world, if you can't replicate a bug, its super hard to fix.)

While Quickoffice works on the issue, an alternative PDF viewer would be nice in the extras though...

Anyway, here's hoping for an update from a B&N employee.

Happy new years.

-z

New User
tulsatops
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem with the Red X.  The first time I encountered this was a few weeks ago when I downloaded a PDF of a book on Google Books.  Up until today all my other PDFs worked.  Tonight I tried to load a book I photographed, then transferred into a pdf (with Adobe Professional) and got the RED X again.

Tried the website mentioned but it stalled....

Where is the tech support on this?  I have had the Nook for just over a month - probably too late to return it.  I only need it to read academic articles etc.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Atomant wrote:

I have a problem too with online books like...

http://www.archive.org/download/amongmalaypirate00hent/amongmalaypirate00hent.pdf

Just get the BIG RED X.

The sales person at BN (Amy) said I should have no problem with PDF scanned books.

I specifically asked since this was going to be a gift for my son.

Should the reader go back or will this get fixed via an update. Thanks.

You do realize that that same title is available at that same site as an epub, right?

Anyway, I downloaded that pdf and got the "red x" too.  I notice that it's a fairly large pdf at almost 15 MB...easily 30 times the size of the epub version.  Since that's the only pdf I've come across that will not display in the NC, I wonder if it's an issue with its display memory (or more accurately, the amount of display memory)?

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

It works, but very, very slowly with ezPDF on my rooted Nook Color. It's a wierd pdf. It's moderately slow on my relatively fast PC. The size is hardly the problem. I read many pdfs that are much larger on my Nook without any trouble.

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

You do realize that that same title is available at that same site as an epub, right?

EPUB version, sure do, along with all the OCR mistakes.  Many of the Henty Epubs have OCR mistakes( too many). Even the B&N downloadable versions of these free books, which no doubt come from the archive.org site, have the mistakes in them too. 

We have tried different Scanned image  to PDFs, but all have the big red X.

One actually  had garbled images. All work fine on PCs and laptops.

For $250+ warr. this should work. If someone can get a Henty scanned image PDF to work, let me know which one, please. Thanks !

Inspired Correspondent
pen_name19
0 Kudos

Atomant wrote:

riffrafff wrote:

EPUB version, sure do, along with all the OCR mistakes.  Many of the Henty Epubs have OCR mistakes( too many). Even the B&N downloadable versions of these free books, which no doubt come from the archive.org site, have the mistakes in them too. 

• Yes, this is the same reason we prefer the .pdf versions of free books.
  • For ones from Google, the suggestion from elsewhere of 'open the .pdf on a Mac or PC and save to file as a .pdf' works.  Tho then, the saved .pdf is much bigger than the original.  Perhaps it's compressed, and that compression scheme isn't supported on the NC?

-- bye

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

In my observation, PDF's that were scanned have problems... those that were created by an app (like Word), usually do not.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

PDFs vary enormously. The standard from Adobe is extremely flexible, in part, because it wasn't developed for reading, but for printing. What mattered is whether it LOOKED correct so it would be printed correctly, not whether it could be searched, zoomed, reflowed, bookmarked, annotated, etc.

All the features that enable a PDF to be used effectively for reading has been added more recently on top of a then-existing standard. It is entirely the responsibility of whoever is making the PDF and the toolset being used how well the PDF can be used for reading.

This puts an enormous burden on the reading software to "creatively" interpret what is in the PDF file, and explains why different apps can vary so much.

Reader 4
tsinoy
0 Kudos

I invested in the NookColor primarily to be able to read ginormous textbooks which are meticulously bookmarked in PDF format. I am having the same problem with the red X's and what I've noticed is - color pages seem to render without a problem. Most text/B&W pages come up as the red X, but not consistently.

The books that are entirely in color seem to display fine. But books with both color and B&W pages will show most color pages perfectly, but display the red X for B&W pages as well as some of the color pages. What's puzzling is, I have a couple of books that are B&W that are fine, and then a few others that are completely red-X'd out. I don't know how to technically compare the pages, but I'm guessing it is due to the "OCR vs image" page reason.

I was really disappointed that you couldn't do a search on the PDF documents or be able to use the bookmarks, which are critical with the size of PDFs I have. I echo the complaint that it's annoying when the file goes back to page zero everytime I open it, esp when I just spent minutes finding the page I wanted.

I hope future software updates address the PDF functionality or otherwise give us access to more robust PDF readers thru the Android market when it opens.

Reader 2
brianglass

On a whim, I tried running a script I had made for submitting Google Books PDF files to Lulu.com for printing. It seems to make the PDF files work on the Nook Color as well. The script simply runs ghostscript on the file with some options:

gs -dSAFER -dNOPLATFONTS -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -dMaxSubsetPct=100 -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -sOutputFile=new_file.pdf -f old_file.pdf

Reader 2
brianglass
0 Kudos

tsinoy,

I agree. I would really like to have the ability to have bookmarks into PDF files. I purchased my Nook primarily to read old books from either books.google.com or archive.org. Most of the OCR'd books available from barnesandnoble.com are so full of mistakes that they are not worth reading. I would rather read the image-based PDF files. Bookmarks are essential.

That said, this is a really nice device and very hard not to like even with these flaws. Hopefully B&N will resolve some of these issues in the coming months. It is a relatively new device and I expect to see a lot of improvements in the near future.

Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

PDF's on the NC kind of suck. The Kindle has a much better PDF viewer.  I have read that there is a VERY nice PDF reader in the Android app store for those that rooted.  But that does leave hope for us that NC may get better at PDF.

Once thing that helped with images for me was running the PDF though calibre.  Though the performance was still questionable.

Lets hope this gets better as I have soem resouce PDF's from work that would be handy to have on hand.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

I just wanted to chime in here and say that since this seems to be one of the major complaints buyers have, I am certain that BN will address it.

Also, in defense of Nook_Engineer (no, I do not work at BN, nor am I related to Jeffrey), I have contacted him before about other things (pdb support), and he said he had sent the request to the appropriate parties.  He also said that such decisions don't happen quickly.  I am very certain that since it can be assumed his only job is not coming to these boards, he and others are quite busy.  And figuring out pdfs is a full-time job for anyone. 

They are not viewer friendly and known to be problematic.  There are so many ways that pdfs can be created and they can have been created on a Windows machine or a Mac, which can cause "translation" issues.  Some of the problems are re-flow, font types, and graphics.  And how well they are handled by any subsequent program that tries to read a pdf is more based upon what program was used to create the pdf.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

I tried running my pdf through Calibre and it didn't work, it would get 48% through the conversion and then hang for about 10 minutes then jump to 100% with a message staying that an error occurred, please try again.  Through much trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that my pdf is too full of pictures, charts, and graphs for Calibre to be able to handle the conversion, so I am stuck reading the document as-is when I want to view it on my Nook Color, and that is basically every day as it is a text book for school.  What would be better in my particular situation is if B&N would make Nook Study books readable on the Nook Color, then I wouldn't have this problem and all would be hunky dory in my little Nook Color world!  Well, okay, there are other small issues but this pdf is the biggest one at the moment.....

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Maybe there is some issue with it if it is an OCRed pdf.  Have you tried the other suggestion first.  I happen to use PDFCreator, but others use CutePDF.  It sounds really stupid, but maybe if you use one of these to try and print the pdf, but select whichever of these you choose as your printer, it might convert it to a pdf that can then work with Calibre.  Possibly. 

The other thing I have done with PDFs, because I don't have a real PDF editing program is to convert to Word first, but this is an iffy process.  I found a free convertor that works pretty well, but does take a long time to convert.  There were no errors, but once I finally got it into Doc form and then saved as a pdf and then converted to epub, I did have to clean it up in Sigil.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

brianglass wrote:

On a whim, I tried running a script I had made for submitting Google Books PDF files to Lulu.com for printing. It seems to make the PDF files work on the Nook Color as well. The script simply runs ghostscript on the file with some options:

gs -dSAFER -dNOPLATFONTS -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -dMaxSubsetPct=100 -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -sOutputFile=new_file.pdf -f old_file.pdf

Very cool.  Thanks for that.  I'll have to familiarize myself with this lulu.com thing of which you speak.   :smileyhappy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Reader 2
brianglass
0 Kudos

riffraff,

Note (and this is off topic, but...), in order to submit one of these PDF's to Lulu, you also have to strip the Google title page because is it a different size than all the other pages. Lulu doesn't like that.

New User
roitberg
0 Kudos

I read all the posts. The problems looks like to happen, as you said, with "old" and reliable PDF files.  Consider that there are many PDF "levels" abbroad like 1, 2, 3, 4 and else. For Screen, for printing, for professional printing jobs. They are diferent from each other. When we use nice and small free programs like PrimoPdf and other inidicated here, they convert, whitout asking, for actual compliant PDF "level". So, if we are at level 4 or 5 and you have an old file coded as 1 or 2, may be it would not open. As other guy said, use a new program to "reconvert" the old file and things worked fine.

We now have two simillar problems with convertion software. There has to have profiles not just for "tablet pdf" but for "mpg4 video file". We are using other profiles and things like mpg4 for iPad not works for Nook and vice-versa. We are at the very beggining of this technology and things are little messy, but they'll adjust.

For my personal use i just copy no Nook Color big PDFs of one os my magazines with 48 to128 pages, generated by In Design or by Primo PDF and the visualization is perfect.

Just one thing I can´t do is to make a cover for my PDFs...

Reader
rakess70
0 Kudos

Just to clarify.  I created a pdf on our copier. One in color mode and one in b&w mode.  I then compiled them together. the pages done in color mode worked fine and the ones in B&W mode gave the red x.  Maybe that will help clear up some of the questions.  I will try and figure out how to convert them and see if i can see how to make them work.