Contributor
scoobagirl
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color PDF problem

well I kinda feel stupid. I just ordered the Nook Color and didn't even think about researching the message boards first.  I had NO idea the PDF support was lacking.

I am getting the Nook Color *specifically* to read/transport small PDF files and a couple of color e-books, namely, knitting pattern files.  I already have the Kindle for my e-books but wanted the color support for my patterns and pattern e-book collections. 

When the Nook Color arrives, should I go ahead and get the EZPDF app to begin with, before trying to load my PDFs from my PC?

Is there a better PDF program on the Android side? In other words, should I go ahead and get the dual boot card and run the thing as an Android tablet?  I reiterate, the device is going to be used just for small PDF files, not even books in PDF format. 

thanks in advance!

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

I got it to read some financial reports from the various mutual fund companies..... works fine. I think some of the prbs have to be related too how complex the pdf is, and all the other factors and features related to reading a specific pdf file. Wait and see how your files look with the normal embedded reader, or the QuickOffice alternate reader. Again YMMV?
New User
PJLFL
0 Kudos

I got a Nook Color a week ago; have owned Nook 1 for ~6 months. I've run into the same PDF problem everyone else has.  I don't understand why B&N isn't completely embarrassed by this.  I note that the Color Nook PDF help file downloaded from their own web site has similar problems as any other PDF, in particular, the top to bottom page swipe and failure to remember location.  Their own FILE!  As an aside, I'll note that the Nook Color PDF file works just fine on the Nook 1.  And in case you're wondering why I don't use the ePub version of the Nook Color manual, well, that one lacks the detailed index, without which you waste a whole lot of time looking for your specific problem.  Brings up the question, why is the Nook (all versions) such a nice device, when it's so poorly supported by intelligent thought at the software level?  Sort of like the abysmally dumb "suggestions" they make for reading choices. At least when Amazon suggests books to me, they are based on something other than NYT best seller lists.  Sigh.  Loved the Nook 1, am trying to love the Color, but B&N is making it really hard. I just don't understand why someone isn't red-faced at the fact that their own manual has display problems!  Phil

Reader 4
MamaVieuxCareen
0 Kudos

I've had the same problem with the red X on several of my pdf documents.  Downloaded the ezPDF Reader and am able to read all my pdf docs without difficulty. When I asked why it happens I was told that the red X is a place holder for non jpeg items. Hope this helps

New User
bichhanhnt
0 Kudos

I have got Nook color for two months. So far it runs well. But I have some PDF files with sounds. And on my PC or laptop, when I click on the symbol "speaker", I could hear the sounds. But it doesn't work on my Nook color. Does the Nook color support the PDF files with sounds? Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.

Contributor
Kimmrg
0 Kudos

Bought mine in Novermber, still no fix, not even with upgrade 1.41

New User
Nerfer
0 Kudos

Just in case anybody still pays attention to this thread, I thought I would mention what I found.

I had the same problem with the red x. My firmware was at 1.3.0 when I bought my NC. I upgraded it to 1.4.2 and tried my pdfs again. When I tapped on it, it gave me a choice between "QuickOffice Lite" and "Reader" and also the option to make my choice the default. When I tried QO Lite, it didn't display a red X anymore, but the little circle appeared as if it was trying to load, but it was taking forever and never did load.

I quit out of that and tried "Reader". This one was able to read the document easily, and I was able to turn the page by tapping on the left or right, no swiping up and down. I did notice, however, that I was not able to set the page width. The print in these image was small, and I wanted to make it bigger by default. I was able to enlarge the page using my fingers; however, the next page went back to normal size and I have to resize again. Anyway, I made "Reader" my default.

So, big improvement in that we can now read the pdfs that we could not previously! Now we just need "Reader" to get some more functionality.

New User
Andras888
0 Kudos

I found a workaround:  I use Calibre, a free Linux and Windows program.  (One can donate if program found useful.)  I converted the pdf files to epub, which also allow re-flowing the text.  Works for me perfectly.

New User
MandatoryManda
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello forum. I just bought the Nook Color 5 days ago and let me say I am not happy. I am having the problem with the giant red X on my pdf files. Like another poster I saw earlier, I read a lot of pdf files for school which consist of documents/articles which have been scanned into a computer. Of the four I've tried to read, the Nook would only open one of them. Not cool, since I bought the thing to read pdfs.

I found a poster suggesting I try a third party app for pdf reading. I downloaded it, but Nook won't let me set it as the default pdf reader and it keeps opening up their own Reader program.

I also use Calibre, and I tried the conversion to epub format. That didn't work either because it made the documents too tiny to read and no way to fix it like you could if they were just text documents. Essentially they're images of articles I guess.

I'm still in the 2 week trial period. I think it's very likely I'll take this thing back to the store and if B&N doesn't have a solution I'm returning the thing and finding another brand, because I assume the Nook Tablet will have the same problem.

But if anyone has a real solution, I'd love to hear it. I've used Nook products in the past and loved them.

New User
MandatoryManda
0 Kudos

So after posting the previous message above complaining about pdf files not being able to work, I followed the following link which was posted in an earlier comment. Although the solution they were suggesting didn't work, a commenter had one that did. They suggested using Calibre to convert from PDF to PDF and the files actually work on the Nook Color!

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/cleared-up-pdf-red-X/m-p/768098...

New User
doglover11
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color PDF problem- Quickoffice lite

I quit out of that and tried "Reader"..you mentioned this- how did you "quite out of that?"  I accidentally checked the box to make the Quickoffice lite the default and now my pages are black & I cannot change anything or read the book.  How do I get the choice for "Reader" back?

Thx!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color PDF problem- Quickoffice lite

If I remember correctly: Press on  a PDF file until the menu appears. There should be an option to clear the default reader.