New User
BozVA
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color WiFi connection issue resolved

I bought a Nook Color today, updated to the new lobotomized Froyo, and read a bit.  Then, after undocking the device, I got a crash, a reversion to the stock firmware, and an inability to connect to the network with the device. 

I know the device is seeing the network because I can ping it from another device and see on the Nook Color the assigned IP address. 

Just got off the phone with tech support and was told to "hold on for 3 hours and reattempt to register the device".  Well, I think you guys have an IP stack issue...not at all sure I'll be keeping it now, even if it miraculously wakes up.

New User
DDMDD
0 Kudos

Sir,

I would like to thank you very much for posting this solution.  I have the same router & it corrected my problem, which was driving me crazy.

While I'm not going to kill B&N's tech support for this (they were very nice & had some good suggestions), the fact that EVERY other wireless device that is currently in my home or has entered my home has NEVER had a problem connecting to my router.

If you have a product that uses wifi and it can't connect to routers where every other device you have connects perfectly well, then you have a problem.  I can't even imagine what people who are not "computer saavy" would do - probably return the device, which is not what B & N wants. 

Thanks again!!!

Dave

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Jennelyn wrote:

Got a new router today. My NC works now. It is a issue with the SSID and certain routers. Don't do a hard reset there is no need for that. Bad BN support. They need a maintence fix.

I'm so glad someone else is saying this other than myself.  I've gotten hell from the others (mostly 'regulars' of this board) for beating up on BN cust. support.  I did a hard reset pursuant to Cust. Svs. advice,  and it ruined my NC permanently.  Granted, BN sent me a new "pre-owned" NC, so that was good.  It's working.  I haven't dared update yet though.

I'm reading this particular topic board for the first time and see that others have had wi-fi issues with the NC for months! Pre-update. That's really interesting.  I had no problems prior to the update.

And if it were an issue with certain routers and SSID, why did my NC connect flawlessly prior to the update and didn't connect once after the update?

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Contributor
homecoke
0 Kudos

Can someone help me?  My nook worked great until last Thursday and now I CANT CONNECT TO WIFI at all.  I have verizion fios with Actiontech router (M1424WR)  I don't know much about this stuff and tech support told me not to worry alot of people have the problem it will be fixed in a day. I'm not sure what to do next shoulld I go to  B&N store?

Inspired Correspondent
furyu

Your problem is update related, undoubtedly.  If you read through these boards you will see many many many similar complaints and issues.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that BN tech support told you same.  When I last spoke to them on Friday they were still (1) in denial that there was a problem and then when pushed on the matter by me, point blank questions, etc., (2) they said wait 24 hours and call back.  So, at least they are fessing up to a problem now, but they're still in the 24-hour wait mode.

If you  have a BN near you (I don't) then go ahead and take it in.  You may be able to connect in store and do whatever you need to do there.  It's unlikely you'll be able to connect to your wi-fi at home until update is fixed and reloaded.  But, I do think your best bet would be to go to a BN store and talk to someone there about it.  Ask them, too, how you will be re-updated once the update is fixed, unless you know how to go on the web page here at BN website and download and update your Nook Color yourself.

If you don't know how to do that, someone here will no doubt be happy to walk you through it.  But obviously, wait until you know that is necessary.

homecoke wrote:

Can someone help me?  My nook worked great until last Thursday and now I CANT CONNECT TO WIFI at all.  I have verizion fios with Actiontech router (M1424WR)  I don't know much about this stuff and tech support told me not to worry alot of people have the problem it will be fixed in a day. I'm not sure what to do next shoulld I go to  B&N store?

~L.C.Powell

Contributor
homecoke
0 Kudos

Furyu,

Thanks so much for responding.   I'm so disappointed in this thing and it was working great for 3 months.  I have A B&N about 20 miles away I think I'll see what they say.  Yesterday I talked to tech support again and the had me reboot my nook device and my router but that didn't work. The guy was frustrated with me because I don't a lot about wireless routers. He said I should try to "borrow" one of neighbors wireless codes and use that.  Can you believe that?

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Homecoke - what kind of router do  you have? there are a lot of solutions out there in the message threads that might help you - have you tried searching the treads for the brand name of your specific router?

Contributor
homecoke
0 Kudos

I have actiontech through verizon fios.  Ididn't see that one in any of the threads. 

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

So Verizon supplied your WIFI router? Have you contacted them at all?  Have you tried forgetting the saved connection on the NC and tried creating a new one?

Contributor
homecoke
0 Kudos

yes my router is from verizon.  I'm going to call them and see if that might be the issue but it worked for over 3 months.... I tried forgetting the connection...no dice

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Did you reboot the Router?

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Yes, homecoke, I can believe that.  I've had some strange converations and communications with BN cust. support over the last week.  

As for the tech support person becoming frustrated with you, that's very unprofessional.  That is why there are there, to help the novice, who are the majority of people using their products. I usually wind up getting frustrated with THEM!

I came on here today to see if anything new had transpired and if there was (1) anything that actually addressed what has gone wrong with the update for "some" of us, and (2) if there was a definitive 'fix'.  I just read through one person's posts and he/she had the exact same problem as I had starting a week ago Monday.  Ultimately, he/she bought a new router and is now updated and functional.

I do know there were router issues PRIOR to the update for some NC users, but I had no problem with my router prior to the update.  And everything else running wi-fi from it is working just fine.

If I knew that was the solution, I'd buy a new router.  That's not a biggie for me, but I don't want to go out and spend money on a new router and find myself in the same situation.

So... until I hear for sure what is the source of the update problems for 'some' of us, and why not others--that would be nice to know too (and again, it sort of points to routers, don't you think?), I'm reluctant to try the update on my new (pre-owned) NC.

Am wondering if your situation resolved.  ??? 

homecoke wrote:

Furyu,

Thanks so much for responding.   I'm so disappointed in this thing and it was working great for 3 months.  I have A B&N about 20 miles away I think I'll see what they say.  Yesterday I talked to tech support again and the had me reboot my nook device and my router but that didn't work. The guy was frustrated with me because I don't a lot about wireless routers. He said I should try to "borrow" one of neighbors wireless codes and use that.  Can you believe that?

~L.C.Powell

New User
mshellen
0 Kudos

I received a nook color as a gift this week and had connection problems with my 5 year old WiFi router at home to which other devices had connected without difficulty .  The nook color connected to my work WiFi and to a local WiFi hotspot, so I knew the nook was not the problem.  I tried many of the suggestions that others posted here to resolve the problem without success. 

I bought a new router and, after installation, the nook connected immediately.  

I hope this helps someone.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

According to what I have read so far, buying a new router has solved this Wifi connection problem for anyone who has tried this as a solution.

I have been thinking about what difference between the old and the new router would cause the NC to connect again with the new one. 

And I wonder about the following: Has anyone tried to change the SSID of the router they cannot connect to? Because if the problem is caused by the Nook somehow remembering the settings of the Wifi connection (even when forgetting that connection) I would assume that the SSID is the identification those settings are tied to.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

mshellen wrote:

I received a nook color as a gift this week and had connection problems with my 5 year old WiFi router at home to which other devices had connected without difficulty .  The nook color connected to my work WiFi and to a local WiFi hotspot, so I knew the nook was not the problem.  I tried many of the suggestions that others posted here to resolve the problem without success. 

I bought a new router and, after installation, the nook connected immediately.  

I hope this helps someone.

Before buying a new router, you should check to see if your router has the SSID broadcast turned on.    The original NC (1.0) would NOT connect to a network that wasn't broadcasting its SSID (the name of your home WiFi network).     A lot of people had their WiFi routers setup for that option (no SSID broadcast) because it is considered a "security" feature...even though it really isn't.

Anyway....I don't know about the 1.2 setup, haven't tried turning the SSID broadcast off cuz it really isn't a security feature.   But with 1.0, it definatly had to be turned ON.

---------
Don
Contributor
homecoke
0 Kudos

Yippeeeee!!!! I'm back in business.  Verizon fixed it for me.  They just changed my network name and password and it worked.  I should have called them last week.  He had no problem understanding the issue at all.  B&N should take some lessons on customer service. Their techs made it sound like this was a huge mystery.  My Verizon tech fixed it in 5 min.  I wasted all that time and worry with the B&N Techs.  (I called 4 times)  They kept saying to wait it would fix itself?!  Oh well ....Thanks for those who helped me...you gave me good advice.  Now I can read at night again.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Glad you got it fixed.

But - in all fairness since the problem was with your internet service it was a mystery to the B&N techs.

Nook_Engineer

@homecoke

Out of curiosity, what did they change your network name to?  And what was it originally?  I'm assuming you had a Westell router from Verizon?  If so, there's still a lot of people with that problem.

-Jeffrey

Reader
CvilleReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I purchased a Netgear wnr1000v1 router a couple days ago and ran into the same problem.  My Nook Color would say connected, but you couldn't surf anywhere.  I upgraded from a Linksys wrt54G router which worked fine with all my devices including the nook.  All my devices work with my new router, except for the Nook Color.  I did follow the advice in other threads, and turned the speeds down to 54mbps (down from 150), rebooted the Nook, "forgot" the network and reconnected and it's working now.  I've got it running wpa2 with no trouble.

Hopefully between Netgear and B&N, a fix will be available since I purchased an n-router to stream at higher rates to my Bluray player.

**I should mention that I updated to version 1.2 while I was on my linksys and did not experience any connectivity problems.  It wasn't until I updated my router to the Netgear that I was unable to surf (apparently due to the Nook Color not liking the higher speeds).  I did deregister my nook and restored to factory, but even doing that wouldn't work. 

New User
wmpuig
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for posting your solution.  I've been wrestling with getting my wife's new NookCOLOR connected for almost a full day.  B&N's India-based call center's answer to the problem was "try another router, and if that doesn't work call your ISP."  Worthless ...