Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color WiFi connection issue resolved

I don't understand why there is absolutely no consistency in what is being stated by BN Tech Support, be they in India or the U.S., or wherever.  

Yesterday, I was told that the update's wi-fi connectivity issues had yet to be fully resolved and to 'wait' to update until further notice.  Today, when I had to call yet again about a problem with my refurbed replacement NC not connecting (I never had a single problem with my Belkin N router and connectivity prior to the 4/26/11 update), I was "assured" by the Tech Support guy that the update was fine and that I should sideload it and all will be well.  Well, I haven't.  I don't believe him.  He was too glib.  

Furthermore, I keep coming here and seeing additional problems people are having and feel there are still problems with it.  RIght now, I have a 1.0.1 version NC that at least I can read.  If I update, lord knows what will happen.

I specifically asked the Tech Rep if there were issues with certain routers.  He said no, all routers should work.  I said, no issue with "N" routers?  No, no issues.

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Contributor
vcreecher
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Furyu I'm so, so sorry you're still having problems. Although I've had no WiFi connection issues, my friend did. I found this solution on Nook's FB page that helped my friend... and am posting in hopes it may help you! This may have already been posted and you may have already tried these steps. There is an email address at the end of the steps if it fails. GOOD LUCK!

If Wi-Fi Connection Fails AFTER Update:

1. (If applicable) first, verify you have a proper internet connection available by connecting your other wireless devices (PC, Laptop, Smartphone etc…) and starting a search engine. This will verify the path from your modem and your router is working properly.

2. Forget Wi-Fi connection and attempt to reconnect. You can do so by tapping the up arrow on the status bar, then tap "Settings." This will take you to the Settings Menu, Tap “Wireless” then tap the SSID you intend on forgetting (router name you’re trying to connect to). A contextual menu will appear with the options to "Cancel," "Connect," and "Forget." Tap "Forget"

3. Once forgotten perform a soft reset by holding the power button for 5 seconds, a dialogue box will appear asking whether you would like to power off your device. Confirm by pressing the Power button. Wait a few seconds and restore power by pressing the Power button for 3 seconds.

4. After the soft reset was performed attempt to re-connect to your wireless router and check for connectivity.

5. If the steps did not work Restart your Modem wait until it is fully powered on; then restart your Router. After which, attempt to re-connect your device.

If you continue to experience difficulties please email Zoe@barnesnadnoble.com with your issue and serial number so we may assist further

Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

@Furyu

What is the exact model number that you're having issues with, and what is the firmware version that you're running? 

Thanks,

-Jeffrey

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Thanks... vcreecher.  I appreciate your concern.

I read through your post and yes, I've covered each and every of your suggestions.  I'm running five other computers/laptops off the wi-fi route, as well as a couple of other devices (Nintendo Wii, etc.).  My regular/classic Nook is also wi-fi connected without problems.

I also did the 'forgetting'... several times, even re-entering the entire SSID and password.  I played with various router settings, changing WPA to WEP to OPEN, etc., without success.

Right after I lost connection, one of the first things I did was turn off the NC and then turn it

back on.  I reset not only the router but the modem as well, disconnecting everything.

Very puzzling. I know that I'm not alone in having had this problem but I also now know I'm one of a small minority of people with this particular problem.  Probably the biggest difference with me from these others who've had this problem is my perserverance in attempting to fix the situation, on all fronts.  

However, the battle is loss.  Since BN sent me a replacement NC which I received last Friday (the one that I've yet to update), and I was told I had only 14 days to return my original one, this morning, after attempting one last time to get the darn thing working today, without success, I packaged it up and returned it to BN.  

When I spoke to customer service today, the rep I spoke to intimated --I repeat, "intimated" that the original update file might have been corrupted.  He asked when I'd sideloaded it and I told him I was probably one of the first, because I did so around 8 or 9 a.m. (PDT) that Monday morning.  He went, "aaaaah"... and then said, "I can assure you that if you sideload it again, you won't have problems."  So.. maybe I'm reading more into that than was intended, but that's the impression I received.

At some point, I'm going to have to be brave and update my replacement NC.

I've made a note of the person's email you gave me.  

Thanks for your nice reply post.

vcreecher wrote:

Furyu I'm so, so sorry you're still having problems. Although I've had no WiFi connection issues, my friend did. I found this solution on Nook's FB page that helped my friend... and am posting in hopes it may help you! This may have already been posted and you may have already tried these steps. There is an email address at the end of the steps if it fails. GOOD LUCK!

~L.C.Powell

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Jeff, 

I've returned my original Nook Color to BN, as requested, since I received a replacement.

The replacement is running version 1.0.1.

Is there any way I can update that with the 1.1 firmware first?  I hunted around the BN website but didn't see that update, just the 1.2.

Thanks.

Nook_Engineer wrote:

@Furyu

What is the exact model number that you're having issues with, and what is the firmware version that you're running? 

Thanks,

-Jeffrey

~L.C.Powell

Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

I don't have a link for the B&N download, but this forum thread has a link to a mirror site for 1.1.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/Nook-color-1-1-update/td-p/828462...

Contributor
taz0306
0 Kudos

I 'm having the same problem with my wifi. I know you said how to do it but I'm a RN & my computer knowledge is so little that it only pertains to my job. It sounds like I have to get on a computer to fix this right? If you can could would you mind telling me in steps & terms keeping in mind I have so little computer experience. It would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Reader 2
mickplu
0 Kudos

All connectivity issues resolved after finally installing a new router.  Before that if NC color wifi was on it kicked off other devices..Had tried everything else prior and finally was advised to update router and problems solved. Our router was about 6 years old.

Reader
CvilleReader
0 Kudos

Out of curiousity, what type of router did you buy?  I heard that the NC doesn't like certain Netgear routers.  That's what I just purchased, but I think my model is maybe 2 years old already.  I have the issue with it only working if set to 54mbps.

Inspired Correspondent
furyu
0 Kudos

Jeffrey,

Thank you.  I have successfully updated my refurbed NC to 1.1.

Appreciate the help.

Nook_Engineer wrote:

I don't have a link for the B&N download, but this forum thread has a link to a mirror site for 1.1.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/Nook-color-1-1-update/td-p/828462...

~L.C.Powell

Contributor
homecoke
0 Kudos

My router is called actiontech.  Supplied by verizon fios.  I finally called them and the tech helped me change the ssid and gave me a new password and it was fixed in 5 minutes.  I don't who he was but I love that guy.

New User
Bonniebirr
0 Kudos

Amen! Thank you for saying what I could not have said any better. After my second conversation with B&N tech support I realized that they are only taught to apologise often and put you on hold after each question. I was first told that "Upper Management" would call me back within 72 hours to help me. After 84 hours I called back and was told the exact same things only this time she was going to alert "The Engineers." They were perfectly OK with ending my call with no resolution or even a promise of one. I too was told to contact my internet provider with the problem, I was not surprised to be told that they do not know why this Barnes and Noble product is having problems with a router that 4 other devises in my home seem to have no problem with. If B&N did not test the new software for the Nook Color on the D-Link router before rolling it out without even asking if you wanted it, SHAME ON THEM! Man up Barnes and Noble, a company is not measured by the mistakes that it makes but rather by how they fix them.

New User
d03j
0 Kudos

I bought my Nook Color this week, running 1.2.0 and also having troubles.

I managed to fix one of the networks that kept rejectting it, after much tinkering, by reducing the router's speed to 54 Mbps in a wild guess the nook might not like 802.11 N.

This workaround may be OK as a desperate short term fix but isn't really acceptable in the long run, as it only works in networks you can configure (i.e., your home) and at the expense of its bandwidth. I want to be able to use my network's full speed at home as well as use public hotspots (don't get me started on how the Nook's browser sometimes does not allow me to accept the T&C's of public hotspots).

Very disapointing!

New User
MikeT22
0 Kudos

It's amazing to me that BN techs have no solution for the issue with the NetGear routers. I spent 2 days trying to figure this out and you solved it in 3 minutes. Although the support was very nice and tried to help, they didn't know how to fix it other than to tell me to return it and get a new one. Not good business. This issue and solution should be passed along.

Thanks for the help!

New User
HENRY1
0 Kudos

IN READING ABOUT THE WI-FI PROBLEM, LET ME EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM. MY FAMILY PLANS ON GIVING ME A NOOK COLOR FOR FATHER'S DAY BUT INVESTING IT IF FOUND A PAOBLEM FOR ME. I USE TO HAVE A KINDEL AND I COULD READ IT ANYWHERE. WI-FI WAS NO PROBLEM ANYWHERE--BEACH,POOL, HIGHWAY, NOR ANYWHERE. BUT NOW I HAVE DECIDED ON THE NOOK COLOR BECAUSE OF THE INTERNET AND APPS. (I HAVE A DROID X WITH ABOUT A "MILLION" APPS SO I AM USE TO USING THE APPS. MY PROBLEM WITH THE NOOK COLOR IS THE WI-FI BECAUSE I DO USE IT T THE BEACH. POOL AND ON THE HIGHWAY. IF I CAN'T USE IT IN THOSE PLACES IT DOES ME NO GOOD. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST? THE OTHER NOOKS WON'T DO ANY MORE THAN MY KINDEL.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY TO MY E-MAIL.

HENRY

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

HENRY1 wrote:

IN READING ABOUT THE WI-FI PROBLEM, LET ME EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM. MY FAMILY PLANS ON GIVING ME A NOOK COLOR FOR FATHER'S DAY BUT INVESTING IT IF FOUND A PAOBLEM FOR ME. I USE TO HAVE A KINDEL AND I COULD READ IT ANYWHERE. WI-FI WAS NO PROBLEM ANYWHERE--BEACH,POOL, HIGHWAY, NOR ANYWHERE. BUT NOW I HAVE DECIDED ON THE NOOK COLOR BECAUSE OF THE INTERNET AND APPS. (I HAVE A DROID X WITH ABOUT A "MILLION" APPS SO I AM USE TO USING THE APPS. MY PROBLEM WITH THE NOOK COLOR IS THE WI-FI BECAUSE I DO USE IT T THE BEACH. POOL AND ON THE HIGHWAY. IF I CAN'T USE IT IN THOSE PLACES IT DOES ME NO GOOD. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST? THE OTHER NOOKS WON'T DO ANY MORE THAN MY KINDEL.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY TO MY E-MAIL.

HENRY

Not sure what your question is there. Do you need to use WIFI to read on a Nook Color? No you do not. You only need WIFI connected to download books and apps or surf  the web - which is the same for any ereader or tablet I assume because those books have to get there somehow.

If you are thinking there is a ongoing wide spread WIFI problem there is not. If you notice you pulled up a thread that was months old.  There are issues with a couple of router/cable modems but that does not prevent anyone from reading on their Nook Color and I have read very few problems with people not being able to connect to public WIFI.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

@Henry :  The only way you'll be able to have what you're used to with the Kindle 3g (which uses a cell modem when not near a wireless hotspot) in a tablet form factor is to buy something like the Samsung Galaxy as provisioned by a wireless carrier. 

The samsung is very comparable to the NC in form factor, has a camera, and runs 320 to 420 with no contract.  If you're willing to buy a contract, the price drops.  Best Buy has them at 149 if you buy a 2 year data plan. 

You certainly can use the NC without a data connection for stuff you've already got installed (most games, books, magazines) but if being able to surf the web anywhere or buy books anytime or always have your email is what you want, look at the G tablet. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
alexanderNC
0 Kudos

Thank you so much I have worried so much about how to connect to barns & Noble.  Where can I find my ip address?  After you were so kind to share this with all of us I feel bad about asking you another question.  Once again I appreciate all your hard work.  Thanks again   :smileyhappy:

New User
HENRY1
0 Kudos

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION. IT SOLVES MY PROBLEM. 

THE NEXT QUESTION IS MY ROUTER AT HOME. I HAVE A NETGEAR (I CAN'T FIND THE NUMBER). WHICH ONE DI YOU FIND DOES THE BEST? BUT I ALSO USE IT FOR ALL OF MY OTHER COMPUTERS AROUND THE HOUSE.

LET ME KNOW THE ONE YOU FIND THAT WORKS BEST.

THANK YOU,

HENRY1

New User
johnnyb50
0 Kudos

Unfortunately this did not work for me.  Any other suggestions?  B&N useless - wants me to have Internet provider reconfigure things and change settings on my NetGear router so the Nook Color will work.  I have a PC and 2 laptops and a netbook that are working on the router.