New User
kg69

Re: Nook color WiFi connection issue resolved

I just bought a Nook Color and had wifi connection problem and the help desk still couldn't tell me "it's your wifi connection speed, downgrade from you N level to B/G level". This blog help me recognized this problem with the Nook Color. This is even a year and a half after this problem was resolved here.
New User
NC_Father

Thanks for this post.  I come from a technical background but am not a network wizard.  I have 6 Apple devices, 4 PCs, 2 gaming systems, 3 Android phones and a Samsung SmartTV and my daughters NC is the only thing that won't stay connected to my new WIFI router.  I was more than willing to accept that I needed to change something on the router but change what?  I have spent 2 days with Barnes and Noble support both online chat and on the phone and ultimately was told to call my ISP to have the NC MAC address added to their list.  Incredibly frustrating that they could not even give me a list of things to try.  I started testing many of the solutions that appeared here (54mb, CTS protection, etc.) and finally got to the fact that disabling 802.11n allows it to work.  I am running a SonicWall TZ105w router.

I will not buy another Nook device...

New User
Matayogi

I HAD this problem, too.  If you don't want to hear my long-winded story, scan down to the highlighted text. 

Belkin wireless N router (model isn't important to solve this issue).  Everything was working fine.   I took an inventory of connected devices (for a projected described below) and was shocked to find that we have 18 internet devices (xbox, directv, nook color, 2 kindles, ipad, 2 iphones, 2 windows phones, 2 desk tops and 6 laptops).   I had recently installed an 8-port switch to enable more wired connections and to improve the efficiency in bandwidth sharing between devices. Every device worked flawlessly.

I wanted to create specific time allotments during which certain devices can actuall access the internet (those belonging to my kids).  This is something fairly easy to do.  However, before doing this, I made a simple change to the router (turned wireless security off and back on).  Afterwards, 15 of the 18 devices connected just fine but, the NC and the Kindles could see the network but would not connect.  I tried everything to fix it. I figured that it had to be an IP address conflict but, nothing worked. Set wireless mode to G, etc.

I finally came across a post (don't recall exactly where) that stated that Droid devices don't like spaces within the SSID.  I figured "No way that is going to fix this problem."  I was wrong. I took the space out of the SSID, rebooted the router and the three wayward devices connected right away.

With all the time I wasted on this subject, over the last week, I feel like a moron not being able to get it right away.

I hope this helps.

New User
Rodel_Ituralde

Another Potential Solution

This is a very old thread, and it looks like there have a been a fair few solutions suggested here and there.  None of them have worked for me.  My situation goes like this.  Used the nook for years no problems connecting, then starting last week I couldn't connect to the internet.  The nook would recognize and log in to my router, obtain and IP address, all of that good stuff, but accessing the internet was impossible.  Couldn't update my library or anything.  I was mystified, but then I realized, just now actually, that I've been using the nook while streaming video on my xbox 360 ... which isn't something I'm in the habit of doing.  So I decided to give the nook another shot now since I'm not doing anything on the 360, and lo and behold it works again.

This is a very odd work-around, I hesitate to call it a solution.  The odd thing is that my router can support dozens of devices simultaneously, even with the xbox running.  And the xbox is wired no less!  Which means it has a fixed IP no matter how many wireless devices connect.  It's weird, but for whatever reason this worked for me. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Another Potential Solution

Xbox might be using a different protocl than standard internet traffic. That would mean that its traffic gets priority and other traffic gets lower priority. Nook might not be able to handle this case.

That's the only thing I can think of.

New User
chixleg
0 Kudos

i'm not very knowlegeable about the wi-fi,  but my nook color stops at least once a week.  i'm not able to do the stuff you say to do.  why can't B&N fix it on their end.  for how much the nookcolor cost i shouldn't have to be the one to mess around tring to get it to work!!!

New User
Geoalbi
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color WiFi connection issue resolved Linksys WRT54G router

Incredible that more than 3 years after the product release this problem was not yet solved.

Had my Nook for 3 years and after a month of trying, gave up on WiFi and their version of OS.

I installed Cyanogen mod and had WiFi with no problem.

3 years on I gave it another try (I got another tablet and intend to use the Nook just for reading). Again a day of gogling, but this time you guys banged your heads on the problem.

My Nook did not see my SSID at all, just the neighbours routers.

What fixed it for me was just changing the channel to 5. The second I rebooted the wireless module, lo and behold, my SSID was there. Set the channel to auto and it dissapears.

Router TP-Link TL-WR1042ND, WPA2-AES, b/g/n activated, max. tx rate 120Mbps.

Tried every other solution here to no avail:

- reducing tx rate to 54Mbps;

- disabling n mode and only using b, g or b/g

New User
Arazi
0 Kudos

NO it is NOT a netgear issue.  I do not have a netgear in MY house and it is out of the BLUE doing this when it had been connecting for 2 YEARS or more to the same router!  It also connected for 2 years or more to my mom's netgear!  UNTIL now.  This month I cannot get it to connect and am getting DISABLED after it tries to authenticate.  Says the signal is strong, I know I am not typing my security passwords wrong and it will not connect to 2 wireless routers it sees and has been connecting to for YEARS!  So, now I need to either figure out if this is going bad, burnt out or just done.   

Contributor
Snuffy42
0 Kudos

I think it is the antenna, im at cancer treatment so not home (NT works fine at home) treatment center, i get connection and then NO, only need to walk about 20 ft to get signal back, then it stay for some time when i walk back to the chair, desk, then when it looses connection i have to walk back.. to me this is a Firemware issue or antenna issue... later when im back home, i an thinking about open - remove the BN antenna, then replace the wire antenna with Wire from a laptop - connection is smaller so one needs to be careful with removal of BN antenna, and then connecting the other antenna wire....

Windows 8.2 - s0121@hotmail.com