New User
mew1962
Accepted Solution

Nook color WiFi connection issue resolved

[ Edited ]

I spent 2 days reading through forums, searching Google, talking to clueless B & N tech support people, and even emailing the Netgear tech support department before I finally figured this out. First, let me say that most of the problems that I've read about appear to be with Netgear routers, which is what I have. Specifically, mine is a Range Max N-150 wnr 1000 router.

Most of the posts that I read seemed to be focused on the security being used by the router i.e. WEP vs.WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK or both. And while it is true that if you set your router security to "None" the Nook Color will work, but that is not a viable solution in my opinion. Why would you jeopardize the security of your entire network just to get an e-reader to work? No way.

Here is what does work. You need to change the mode (speed) of your router to 54Mps. Mine was set at 65 Mps, which is the default setting from Netgear, but the Nook Color will not work at this speed. As soon as I changed this setting the Nook Color connected to the internet instantly and has had no connectivity problems since then.

Here is how to do it:

1. Log onto your router using the IP address assigned

2. Click on the Wireless Settings link under "Setup"

3. Click on the drop-down menu for "mode" and change the Mode to 54Mps

4. Click "Apply". If you skip this step the change won't be made

That is all it takes. I was somewhat hesitant to drop the speed of my network, but my internet actually seems to be running faster on the entire network now - bonus!

Why B & N can't troubleshoot this and spread the word to their tech people is beyond me. They actually had me return the first one that I bought because the tech guy said it was defective, but I'm sure that it wasn't.

This solution worked immediately for me and I was able to keep my WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK security intact with no changes.

Well I hope this helps some poor soul who is as frustrated as I was during the last few days. I really appreciated the comments that others have posted although most are way off base so be careful about some of the advice offered.

Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color WiFi connection issue resolved

Thanks for the info.  I also had recent wifi problems and apparently what worked was that I updated my router to the latest firmware and now it stays connected and no longer dropping and re-starting the wifi.

DJ

Reader 2
Harson
0 Kudos

Learned!

You are so kind of sharing it with us.

Thanks!

Wordsmith
NookGuy

mew1962 wrote:

Why B & N can't troubleshoot this and spread the word to their tech people is beyond me. They actually had me return the first one that I bought because the tech guy said it was defective, but I'm sure that it wasn't.

There are a *LOT* of wireless routers from a lot of different companies ... Linksys,Netgear,D-Link ... etc. Many internet providers (like Verizon FIOS) supply their own customized routers. There really isn't any way for B & N to realistically support troubleshooting users' connection issues for every possible router/carrier combination. So whereas the B & N tech people may seem 'clueless', they can only give support with the info they have at hand. You might want to cut them some slack.

New User
mew1962

You are correct – I should cut the technical support people some slack. They were courteous and tried to be helpful and I think that they were doing the best that they could. Besides, this is not a technical support issue, this is a management issue. Here you have Barnes and Noble, the largest brick and mortar book seller in the United States, under attack by a monster from the Amazon and you come out with an awesome eReader that beats the pants off of the monster’s product (which looks like something from the 80’s), but many of their customers can’t get it to connect to the internet. So what do they do? They tell their customers that this is a problem with their home network. B&N needs to remember something that they teach you the first day at business school – the customer is always right! Toyota understands that. They officially apologized for the acceleration problem in their vehicles and  re-called them all for retrofitting, even though they knew the problem wasn’t with their cars, a fact that was later proven in an exhaustive NASA study. B&N can’t tell people that this Nook Color connectivity issue is their problem. This is a problem with Nook Color! After all, absolutely every other wireless device in my home connects just fine to our network including our laptops, our blu ray player, our X-Box, our Wii, and even our DS Lite. Also, guests have no problem connecting their laptops to our network when given the password. So how can the problem be with OUR router? I read where many other customers said the same thing.

These eReaders are the future of book selling, but you aren’t going to be selling many eBooks if your customers can’t connect to the internet with their device. When researching this issue, I read pages and pages of complaints made by people with the same issues I was having…and those are just the ones who bothered to write. Can you imagine how many more were having the same issues, but didn’t write? If the CEO of B&N wants to keep his job he needs to get on the phone with the head of the Nook Color technical department TODAY, and tell him to get this connectivity issue resolved. His next call needs to be to his technical support manager telling him that he wants these technical support issues resolved properly. There is no reason why the technical support people can’t browse Google, just like I did, to try and find solutions. I realize there are a lot of different routers out there, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I’ve given them the connection solution for the NETGEAR wnr 1000 wireless router, next they can trouble shoot Linksys, then D-link, etc.

New User
hls1966
0 Kudos

This suggestion finally let me connect. My router is a Netgear WNR1000, using WPA/WPA2 security.

New User
iRobata

This may be a bit different. I have a Linksys e3000 router (firmware 1.0.04) settings. For me what fixed it was disabling the CTS Protection modes for both 5/2.4GHz ranges. After the change - voila! No more drops. I tested by trying to tweak other features and trying other settings but it came back down to the CTS protection for me. Just something new to add to this discussion just in cases. 

New User
pjt36

I have a D-Link router and have been struggling with the same issue... My solution was to disable the 802.11n cabability.  All the devices in my home use 802.11g or 802.11b, so this is no loss. 

I had noticed in the router wireless status that the Nook was trying to connect using 802.11n mode.  As soon as I disabled this mode, it stepped down to 802.11g and all the problems went away. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Nice to see people posting thier solutions. The WIFI issue has been the hardest to deal with on here due to all the dif routers.

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
WTibbs

Thank you for posting this. As a nook expert, it's hard to determine how a user's wireless network is set up. So knowing a basic, easy to follow, solution is available is great and I can use this in my store to give better customer service the next time someone comes in with this issue. Thanks again and much appreciated

Contributor
Graphite07
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

g & b   - Both 802.11g and 802.11b  54mps still no connection...ahh i give up lol.

Contributor
mdybas59
0 Kudos

Ok I read your post, but I don't have the 54mbps option.  Mine has only Auto 108mbps and b only, g only and b and g.  Customer service told me to do that too but there is no option on my Netgear router to do that.  Any other suggestions?

Frequent Contributor
denchie
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52

I have a Belkin 802.11n router and haven't had any problems so a 802.11n wireless will work.

I have the security using WEP64 bit right now because my laptop is a dinosaur but my NC and my bluray player both connect fine.

I work thru issues with my users at work and their various and assorted wifi and router problems to know that there is really no one size fits all answers to troubleshooting home networks.

Contributor
mdybas59
0 Kudos

What if your Netgear modem doesn't have that option?  It is at 108mbps.  That is the only option available.

New User
Wamegodreamweaver
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

mdybas59 wrote:

What if your Netgear modem doesn't have that option?  It is at 108mbps.  That is the only option available.

Contact Netgear.    They can assist you.

---------
Don
Contributor
Jennelyn
0 Kudos

Your router shouldn't be the issue and if is then your telling me I have no clue exactly where my nookcolor wifi will work now. It doesn't work in my house but I have a new router coming today. However, this is not a good fix. If I go to Mcd's or Starbucks is my nookcolor going to work on their wifi? What if their router settings aren't "correct". This is not a fix. I got the run around from both BN Phone support and Chat support. Very disappointed.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

If you go to McDonald's or Starbucks or a hotel, they'll be running wireless b or g. And everything connects to those.

If you go to a mom and pop, maybe not so much.

Contributor
Jennelyn
0 Kudos

Got a new router today. My NC works now. It is a issue with the SSID and certain routers. Don't do a hard reset there is no need for that. Bad BN support. They need a maintence fix.