New User
tmk6699
0 Kudos

Nook color and Itunes?

s it possible to transfer movies already bought and downloaded to a PC from Itunes, to the Nook Color? If so. how?

Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color and Itunes?

[ Edited ]

No.

If you have video you downloaded from iTunes its protected with DRM, software that keeps you from using those videos on any non-Apple devices.  For Apple it keeps you locked in, for studios and content providers it "protects their intellectual property" blah blah blah.

So you can only move video from iTunes to: iPods, iPhones, iPad, Apple TV, and Macs.

I'm sorry you are kinda stuck with that.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No. iTunes movies are DRMed and can only be transferred from the PC to an iPod/iPhone.

EDIT: and iPad.

Inspired Contributor
littlelotus2000

Actually, YES, you can take your video and music content from iTunes and load it right on your NookColor! I just did it: I have a Windows-based PC, and I simply opened the folder "My Music", subfolder "iTunes", then subfolder "iTunes Media", then I just used drag and drop to add content I wanted from there to my NookColor files. It is really super-easy, just like moving stuff from your PC to an SD card :smileyhappy: I tested it all after copying it, and it works beautifully (I am SOOO impressed with the video quality). I think B&N did a great job with their initial software with this device, and I can't WAIT til there are more goodies.

Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

@littlelotus2000

First clarify what kind of video was it?  If it was a video podcast or something from iTunes U then your experience is what I would expect.  If the video media you transferred was a TV show, Movie, or Music Video that you purchased directly through iTunes from Apple then your experience should not be able to happen.

What I did was I loaded onto my NOOKcolor a TV Show I bought from iTunes and a Music Video from iTunes.  Shockingly the music video did play and looked great.  However the TV Show stated "This video cannot be played", I looked at the file size, type, and other details iTunes lets you know and it should (spec-wise) be playable if it didn't have DRM.

I am shocked beyond measure that the music video played.  I'm not sure what to make of it.  But I am still confident that movies and TV Shows are not playable, unless they are very old and maybe have some sort of older DRM that isn't as robust.

But anyone else tried to put their iTunes TV Shows or Movies on the NC?  I'd like to hear from other people because I'm still kinda...not 110% cause of the music video.  So if you have an NC and a movie or TV show from iTunes try to load it onto the NC and play and let us know what happens.

Inspired Contributor
littlelotus2000

[ Edited ]

I transferred a music video I purchased from iTunes (Katie Perry), as well as music from iTunes: there was no conversion done, no nothing, just drag and drop. I did NOT, however, open iTunes. I opened the folder where the music resides on the PC. This is the path on my computer: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music. Everything plays perfectly. 

Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

Yes I know how to find the files in the directory as thats the only way you could transfer it to the NC, iTunes won't recognize non-apple devices.  But so far all that we have both successfully transferred has been music videos, I tried a TV Show but it wouldn't play.

So:  From iTunes for sure music videos will transfer.

So please someone out there with an NC and several TV Shows and/or Movies purchased directly from iTunes, try it and tell us what happens.

Contributor
0 Kudos

Itunes music video will not work for me...  : (

New User
faith7ashley
0 Kudos

Hi I just wanted to say that yes it is possible to put your "iTunes" music on your nook. It is a REALLY nice feature but the question is, how do you put movies on the nook...if that is possible?

faithie:smileyhappy:
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

It should not be possible. This is a case for the techies. The XDA tecs should have a field day with this.

New User
LoveStargirl15
0 Kudos

I have a nookcolor and i am a really techie person i can most likely answer some of the problems going on with the nookcolor and putting vides & music on it. Its possible to put itunes music on your nookcolor & the playback is amazing, like other people said but there are some videos that will say 'video cannot be played' or 'this file is not supported' or other things. Unfortunately i havent been able to successfully play any videos from itunes. No videos i've played & downloaded onto my nook have been able to play. so, for now no videos are able to play besides the video that is already on there on, 'getting started with the nook' video :smileysad:

~LoveStargirl15 <3

Frequent Contributor
tonyh61
0 Kudos

you cant without a converter

Nook Color honeycomb 3.0/ stock 1.4.1
Frequent Contributor
Wisdana
0 Kudos

The NC will play music videos from iTunes but not digital movies. I used DVD Catalyst 4 with the NC setting and converted DVDs that play great.

New User
koolbone
0 Kudos

Its amazing that no one has produced itunes for a android. Come on google!!!!!!!!!!

I found this movie content provider "imoviesculb" where you can down load movies in MP4 direct to NookColor - seems to work ok for me - althrough the rez was good the movie did not fill up the nook screen leaving about 3/4 on an inch around the egde - the movies seem to be mostly "b" movies and older ones.

Any other sites anyone know to legally download TV and or Movie content, don't mind paying a fee for a good service?

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

?? google has nothing to do with it.  Apple owns iTunes and I just really don't see them having any interest in producing iTunes for a competing tablet and smart phone operating system.  They have there own mobile devices and mobile device operating system which competes directly with google and android.

Only Apple could produce iTunes for Android, and I don't see that happening frankly.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

There are Android programs that mimic iTunes and allow you the same functionality.  You would have to be rooted to use them however.  The free DoubleTwist player imports your iTunes playlists and plays all your music, podcasts and video, DRM allowing of course.  For $4.95 the app will wirelessly sync with iTunes.

Reader
Starskim
0 Kudos

Well, they produced iTunes for PC, and doesn't that compete with Mac? :smileytongue:

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color and iTunes?

iTunes is a program that allows the songs, pod cast, and other multimedia that works on the iPod/iPhone/iPad work on the  Macintosh and PC computers. It also allows management of your Apple account.

Microsoft has yet to produce a serious contending cell phone or portable media player.

Reader 2
Trans
0 Kudos

This is a bit complicated as the movies purchased or rented from iTunes Store are protected by DRM restrictions- you can’t play them to any devices other than Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod, etc. You can put the protected iTunes movies onto Nook tablet though, but the movies won’t play. In order to enjoy iTunes DRM movies on Nook Tablet, you can use a DRM removal tool(e.g. ChewTune) to get them clean.

Below is simple guide for you:

http://itunes-to-android-tablet.com/?p=125

Reader 2
Swatson217
0 Kudos

I had the same succesful experience.  Music transferred and music videos.  No problems.  Just copied and pasted (did not open iTunes).