Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Nook color battery question

[ Edited ]

Ok there's been much discussion about the battery life of the nook color, but I see nothing about the battery itself.

With my current nook, I can buy a battery if I need extra time between charges.  Is this possible for the nook color and is the battery user changeable?  I don't see anything about this on the website.

EDIT:  Stupid me, I just found out it isn't.  Well, I don't like that at all.  Might have to re-think things.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
Technologirl
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color battery question

[ Edited ]

It will be interesting to see why it is not user replaceable.

1. Same removable back, but battery is soldered or some such silliness.

2. They simply refuse to sell batteries.

3. Back is not removable, and microSD card is inserted in a much more user-friendly way (like most phones).

deemure
0 Kudos

Technologirl wrote:

It will be interesting to see why it is not user replaceable.

1. Same removable back, but battery is soldered or some such silliness.

2. They simply refuse to sell batteries.

3. Back is not removable, and microSD card is inserted in a much more user-friendly way (like most phones).

I do like that about the microSD, but among many reasons I chose a nook in the first place was the user-replaceable battery.  I don't like the idea of something so simple and basic being the reason I have to send in or even trade in a product I've bought.  Ugh.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

hopefully they have after market batteries that you can put in, and that have extended battery life.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

deemure wrote:

I do like that about the microSD, but among many reasons I chose a nook in the first place was the user-replaceable battery.  I don't like the idea of something so simple and basic being the reason I have to send in or even trade in a product I've bought.  Ugh.

Can you imagine the chaos if the Nook Color was susceptible to the same situation we have today with the current nook where Michael-V's only suggestion to people with depleted batteries is to remove it, or temporarily replace it with another nook battery?

How can they be so sure this won't happen again?

If they had the ability to solve this (which has yet to be demonstrated) then why did we have to wait 130 days for the solution at the end of November?  And if you need a second battery to recover a nook why isn't it sold with one?  

But most of all what are they going to do with the warehouse full of returned Color nooks in need of battery replacement ONLY because the user forgot to plug them in?

You have to hope this problem was solved once and for all.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

Can you imagine the chaos if the Nook Color was susceptible to the same situation we have today with the current nook where Michael-V's only suggestion to people with depleted batteries is to remove it, or temporarily replace it with another nook battery?

How can they be so sure this won't happen again?

If they had the ability to solve this (which has yet to be demonstrated) then why did we have to wait 130 days for the solution at the end of November?  And if you need a second battery to recover a nook why isn't it sold with one?  

But most of all what are they going to do with the warehouse full of returned Color nooks in need of battery replacement ONLY because the user forgot to plug them in?

You have to hope this problem was solved once and for all.

icebike-I'm kind of out of the loop about current battery problems, but truly like the idea of being able to replace a dead one.  And I was referring to the case of the battery dying, like with iPad or iPhone, where you have to return the whole cannoli for a dead battery.  I didn't mean the issues with the battery having to be removed to reset the nook.  Also, I was referring to being able to have a back up battery for extended use that many people have talked about.  The battery charge doesn't last long due to of course WiFi use and the screen and all, so having another charged battery ready would be great.

And of course they should have by now created a more secure (idiot friendly) method of changing the battery and making sure it is seated. 

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think the K2 (& the K3) went to the non-replaceable battery to get a slimmer profile. If the warranty was expired, people who had more sense than money paid $20-$25 for an after market battery. The back is in two sections, the top part being a bit difficult and the rest of it extremely easy. If there's no warranty to void, you'd have to be clinically insane to send the thing to Amazon to replace the battery. They don't replace the battery either, they send another refurb Kindle. 

Edit: I may not have been clear. I was referring to the K2, I haven't anyone mention how hard it is to remove a K3 backing.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Yeah, I understood where you were going, but I feel its important to point out that

The nook with an (alleged) 10 day runtime has a removable battery.

The nook with an 8 hour run time doesn't.

Thats exactly ass-backwards.  

But beyond that, this issue of having to remove the battery to get it to recharge is a non-starter with the nook color, which only leaves returning it.

Iphones are pretty forgiving about this, you can neglect them for months and they still accept a charge.  Nooks, not so much.

deemure
0 Kudos

Yep, one of my concerns.  Batteries seem like such simple things to be user replaceable, though I know that much of today's electronics tie into the battery with software controls.  I know I'm not saying this right.  I just mean of course the power options as well as knowing the charge left on a battery.  I've just always been a person who likes to own the product I own and having to return a product for a dead battery and potentially getting someone else's device in return for mine just makes it seem I don't own it.  If I want refurbished, I will buy refurbished.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

If I want refurbished, I will buy refurbished.

Its funny you should mention that.....

Look what showed up on The B&N site yesterday:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/cpo-nook/?cds2Pid=35611

"Certified Pre-Owned" nooks!!!

I'm too lazy to dig for the price...

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

They've been selling those to employees for a few months. We got 3G's for ~$120 IIRC, not sure what they will be for the general populace though.

The "official" company line regarding the reason the battery is non-user replaceable is that it is a different kind of battery (Lithium Ion versus something else, don't remember off the top of my head) and that it isn't feasible, but that "we're sure there will be no battery problems". Take that as you will, that's all they've told us. Don't bite my head off!

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

deemure wrote:

If I want refurbished, I will buy refurbished.

I saw someone else post that...I'm too lazy to go look. :smileytongue: Amazon used to sell refurbed and used K2s last summer. They ran out immediately before the K3 was announced and I've not noticed that they've offered any model Kindle in a used/refurbed form since then. I'm sure that's a coincidence. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

The funny part is I can't actually find any place to Add that to my Shopping cart....

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Look to the right.

$149 for 3G, $119 for WiFi.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I used the same link with an add to cart button and selection boxes (circles) on the right.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Oh, DUH!

I swear that box was not there last nite...

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

cool.. i just bought a wifi to replace my broken one.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tim40744 wrote:

Amazon used to sell refurbed and used K2s last summer. They ran out immediately before the K3 was announced and I've not noticed that they've offered any model Kindle in a used/refurbed form since then. I'm sure that's a coincidence. 

Actually they still have refurbished Kindle 2 International available for 140usd (the US version was 110usd but those are out of stock). You find them at Amazon's warehousedeals.com

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

Ok there's been much discussion about the battery life of the nook color, but I see nothing about the battery itself.

With my current nook, I can buy a battery if I need extra time between charges.  Is this possible for the nook color and is the battery user changeable?  I don't see anything about this on the website.

EDIT:  Stupid me, I just found out it isn't.  Well, I don't like that at all.  Might have to re-think things.

You can probably get an external battery charger for the NOOK Color for extending the battery life. I have one from Newtrent that will recharge my NOOK about 4 times before it needs recharging itself. It can also be used to run the NOOK. It's a l little smaller than a pack of cigarettes. I use the USB cable that came with the NOOK to connect the two.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gstone wrote:

deemure wrote:

You can probably get an external battery charger for the NOOK Color for extending the battery life. I have one from Newtrent that will recharge my NOOK about 4 times before it needs recharging itself. It can also be used to run the NOOK. It's a l little smaller than a pack of cigarettes. I use the USB cable that came with the NOOK to connect the two.

Do you know which one you got? I like the one that is about $86.  It can charge some devices 6 times.