Contributor
John1943
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color battery question

I have been totally upset that B&N has given no indication of what they would do if a nook needed out of warranty repair including battery replacement.  The B&N sales person I talked to suggested that for another $50 additional I could get and extra year warranty coverage.

For me that wasn't enough, so I looked around and found that you could add another 3 years to the 1 year warranty that comes with the Nook for the same cost as B&N warranty from Squaretrade warranties (squaretrade.com).  It covers the battery (because its non-replaceable) along with everything else that could mechanically go wrong for the same cost as B&N's warranty, and it's warranty's are often on sale to boot.

I also suggest you contact your home, apartment, or car insurance company and add your Color Nook onto your policy as a non-decutable rider or "floater" -- very cheap and Includes all the damage issues that B&N includes in their add on warranty plus lost and theft insurance with no deductable.

Contributor
wagnercg80
0 Kudos

Well, I purchaed my NookColor, have not opened it, and have written B&N Customer Service asking for a clarification of a policy/pricing for replacing the battery when it is out of warranty.  If I get an answer in the next two weeks, I'll keep the NookColor.  If they say it's $49-$59 and they handle it like Apple does, then great!

If B&N remains mute, then I'll have to return it and get an iPad or other tablet/reader that DOES have a policy for replacement.

Please, B&N: If this were $99, then we would not be concerned.  But at half the cost of an iPad, you are treating this like a disposable device (where the life of the product = battery life).  You were geniuses when you provided an answer for the battery aware public with the original Nook.  Please release details on how out of warranty battery replacement will be handled!

New User
jnunez72
0 Kudos

I agree.  Mine is also in a box waiting for a response from B & N.  If I like the response regarding battery issues, I will keep the item as it seems like a great device, otherwise, I will return to Best Buy - where I bought it...

Contributor
wagnercg80
0 Kudos

Got my response from Robin of Customer Service.....and the answer is that there is "no further information on the cost to have a Nook Color battery replaced after a warranty period is over." They did not say that it would never be possible, only that they have no information on cost. Well, I bought mine at list price so I will be sending a message back to B&N that I want them replaceable by ether me or by them. This is not a disposable device and no provision by a professional or consumer to replace a battery out of warranty is to say this is a disposable device. B&N you were so right when made the original Nook with a replaceable battery. Will be first in line to buy a Nook Color when the matter is clarified. Lost sale....
Frequent Contributor
duzit
0 Kudos

This question is probably somewhere in this thread, but I'll ask again anyway. Should I keep the USB charging unit connected to the NC when I'm not using it, even if the battery charge is high? It does seem to run down quickly and I'm not an hours at a time reader. I do turn off the wi-fi while reading. Thanks...:smileyhappy:

~ You say WICKED like it's a bad thing ~

Frequent Contributor
joezrph
0 Kudos

I too am awaiting a resolution to this issue of battery replacement.  I agree that this is not a disposable item.  avoiding this issue is only going to lead to more lost sales. Probably mine.:smileysad:

Contributor
wagnercg80
0 Kudos

Customer service responded to my email concerning lack of out of warranty battery replacement service and requested I call Digital Support at 800-THE-BOOK. I recounted concerns that an errant customer allowing the battery to completely drain and not immediately recharge is a likely event for many people and has been shown to damage a battery. (I've killed a few batteries this way as I use NiCd, NiMH, and LiION all the time). I've find batteries vary a lot in their overall lifetime. As a customer, I would gladly SHARE the risk with B&N by paying $59-$79 for out of warranty battery replacement. The Digital Support Technician told me that the battery is permanently mounted as part of the device, that protection plan action on the battery is replacement of the WHOLE DEVICE vice the battery He said there are as yet no plans to offer this service, but that they are getting feedback from customers like me who are indicating they are returning their devices and are "evaluating" these concerns.
Correspondent
MrToy
0 Kudos

wagnercg80 wrote:
Got my response from Robin of Customer Service.....and the answer is that there is "no further information on the cost to have a Nook Color battery replaced after a warranty period is over." They did not say that it would never be possible, only that they have no information on cost. Well, I bought mine at list price so I will be sending a message back to B&N that I want them replaceable by ether me or by them. This is not a disposable device and no provision by a professional or consumer to replace a battery out of warranty is to say this is a disposable device. B&N you were so right when made the original Nook with a replaceable battery. Will be first in line to buy a Nook Color when the matter is clarified. Lost sale....

AMEN to that! I was inches away from ordering a Nook Color, but this issue has made me decide against it. A device such as this will normally outlast the average life of a rechargable battery several times over. A non replaceable battery is a weak link that turns a long-life device into a throw-away. $250 is too much to pay for that. No sale here, either!

Several competing products will be on the market within the next year. I expect at least some will have user replaceable batteries, and the rest will have a battery replacement program up front.

Contributor
Artful
0 Kudos

gstone:

How do you like the Trent battery?  How many full charges does it provide the NookColor?

Thanks!!

Contributor
Artful
0 Kudos

Capcom:

Thanks for the link to the Gomadic product.  Have you used it?  How many charges does it provide?

Thanks!

Contributor
wagnercg80
0 Kudos

There may be hope on the horizon for a replaceable battery.  Here is a reply I got from Customer Service about my concerns about the ability to get the battery replaced out of warranty through Barnes and Noble:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing to us about NOOKcolor.

We truly appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback
concerning the replacement of the battery.  I assure you that there will
be a replacement procedure in the makings.  We as a company would not
design a product that would not be able to be replaced if there is a
defect.  Before the battery becomes inactive with each of our customer's
devices there will be a procedure in effect to fix the problem.

Customer feedback is critical to the success of our business, and we
rely on suggestions such as yours to help us determine what our
customers value most.  We have forwarded your suggestion to the
individuals responsible for eBooks for consideration and possible
implementation.

Once again, thank you for your email.

Sincerely,

Ash
Customer Service Representative - Digital Support
Barnes & Noble
http://www.bn.com/

Frequent Contributor
canytkd
0 Kudos

Well, here's another suggestion for Customer Service to consider then...

When customers have to return their nookcolor to have the battery replaced, let THEM choose whether to get their own nook's battery replaced, or let B&N send back a different refurbished nook in order to save time.

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

Their policy will probably be much like Apple's is with iPods and iPhones.  When the battery wears out, you send in the product with the dead battery and they replace it with a refurbished one.  Personally, I have no problems with this policy!  The refurbished product is in like new condition while the one you've been using is more than like well-used, particularly if the battery has died.  I had an iPod that died and believe me, that thing looked like it had been put through the ringer!  I was very happy when it was replaced with what looked like a brand new iPod with better battery life than the original had ever had.  I have to think that the Nook will probably be similar.  Unfortunately, when dealing with something where the battery is soldered in to the case, it's not as easy as just replacing it.  If that's the only reason you're not going to get a NC, then you better steer clear of many other rechargeable products out there as you are going to find the same thing.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

After the warranty is over, it won't be too hard to replace the battery yourself:

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/nookcolor-teardown/487636

Battery specs:

3.7VDC, 4000mAh, 14.8Wh Li-ion

Model: Encore

pn: 6027B0090501

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

That looks like a lot of work to tear it down to get to the battery.  I am going to venture a guess that by the time my battery needs replacing, B&N will have a new item out that I am going to want anyway.  But just in case, I am going to get the three year squaretrade warranty.  Then, when my battery is needing replacement, I will contact squaretrade, get my cash refund from them, and go out and buy a brand new unit---problem solved!!

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
New User
Spidermike
0 Kudos

I checked with Batteryship.com about a battery & this was their reply

"Mike - thank you for your email and for your your past purchase from us.

We will be getting the battery for the nook color but it will not be until late spring (May or June). Please check back at that time.

--

Thank you,

Dan

BatteryShip.com"

New User
McLovin2
0 Kudos

I was hot to get one of these right up until I discovered the issue of the non-user replaceable battery.  I will not and refuse to buy anything that I can't replace the battery myself.  The battery is only going to last maybe 2 years and then you will have to throw the entire unit away.  This is outrageous! 

A few years ago Costco was selling these inexpensive, $50? portable GPS units, Magellan.  I snapped one up.  It was great.  Until I learned I couldn't replace the battery.  So I gave it to my niece.  I went looking and all the inexpensive portable GPS units had the same issue.  So I grudgingly bought another $50 Magellan.  Well after about a year the battery failed.  Magellan doesn't even provide "paid for" support to replace the battery.  I got a 3rd party battery replacement kit.  It was not easy to install and after I got it installed it still didn't work.  Fortunately Garmin did sell units for much more money that I could replace the battery and I use that today.

There is an endless supply of idiots that buy these kind of products and it is shameful that the industry tolerates it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Um, the batt is user replacable and if you read the email in the Op it states that a replacement will be avaliable in a cpl/few months.
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
New User
barnesbn
0 Kudos

In reference to the warranty of a nook color, it initially comes with a 1 yr manuf. defect warranty. You may also purchase an additional 2yr manuf. and 2 yr accidental damage warranty for $54.95 and dont have to add any new policy to your insurance. In the event you have a battery problem, barnes and noble will send you a refurb nook to replace your dead one. Barnes and Noble is the only company to do this, unlike Kindle who charges $99 to change your battery and they give you a refurb nook. Nook color, a better device indeed.

Inspired Contributor
Badmamajama
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

After the warranty is over, it won't be too hard to replace the battery yourself:

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/nookcolor-teardown/487636

Battery specs:

3.7VDC, 4000mAh, 14.8Wh Li-ion

Model: Encore

pn: 6027B0090501

Awesome Riffraff. Just what the doctor ordered. Thanks a bundle.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Ramblings of the Engineer, Easycool