New User
Giby
0 Kudos

Nook color keeps freezing

Although I'm not too familiar yet with this product, my screen keeps freezing and I'm unable to turn it off and when I touch the screen it does not recognize that I'm doing anything.  I'm on hold now with support but does anyone have any suggestions?

Reader 2
MGPam
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color keeps freezing

Same here.  The only thing that seems to consistently resolve the freeze for me is to power down (hold the power button for about 10 seconds and keep holding even after the power down message displays) and then power backup.   But even doing that repeatedly is getting annoying.  If it continues, I will be calling also!

New User
nookhunter
0 Kudos

Count me in too. I think I've got an issue where the buttons at the edge of the touchscreen freeze. Rebooting seems to cure it--for a while. Tried the online chat and got dumped out of that after about ten minutes of waiting. I did get through to phone tech support. After trying to explain the issue three times, I hung up. Maybe I was sounding really stupid, or the tech rep just had an attitude. Felt like I was in the middle of a comedy routine.

New User
nookhunter
0 Kudos

WOW. I just hung up on tech #2. I think this guy was Peggy! After spending close to 15 minutes explaining the issue, he said he'd check with a supervisor to see IF I could get a replacement. Then it was torture just getting him my name and address. Did not help to speak slowly and clearly. The final straw was when he wanted a charge card so I could pay shipping. I'm so sorry I didn't record it. I felt like I was being "punked".

New User
lfsymons1
0 Kudos

Same issue here as well. Unit hangs up and wont respond to any touches. Could not power off unit even though the screen off message showed on screen. Thanks to reading about this on the net, found out that if you held the power key for a few seconds after the power message displayed on screen that the unit would finally power off. Once that was done and unit powered up, it seems to have cleared the issue for the moment.

New User
HollyPhD
0 Kudos

I bought it less than 2 months ago and now it crashes and reboots. I'd like to read a book! I trying to remove books to archive and see if that helps. My husband was thinking of purchasing it but saw what was happening. He liked the fact that it the back lite feature. He owns the larger Kindle. Did I make a mistake. I taking it in tomorrow it this is not corrected.

Yes, I hate calling tech support. Most of the time they act like you forgot to plug it in and recharge it. The  batteries are 100%.  I computer savy. 

I just turned it on again. The 4 or 5 time today.. freeze, freeze, freeze. 

Back to hardcopy! Students beware. Image if you had an exam tomorrow!

New User
Carrie_C
0 Kudos

I purchased the Nook color in March of 2010 and constantly had problems with the screen freezing while I was playing apps so I finally got so upset with it that I took it to a B&N store and explained my problem to an in-store Tech.  He messed with it for about 20 minutes and couldnt get the screen to freeze so a Manager replaced my Nook with a Certified Pre-Owned unit.  I brought my new unit home and charged it for 24 hours and the next morning I played a game and my new unit is now freezing up.  Im very upset with this product, its a shame.

New User
Jess_W93
0 Kudos

I recieved my Nook Color as a Christmas gift last year and I have never had any problems with it until last night. It kept turning off and its perfectly fine while its charging but once its done, its only fine for about 30 seconds before it turns itself off, back on, then freezes. And I have to wait about 12 hours before the battery dies and I can charge it again, only to repeat the process.

I was thinking about calling Tech Support, but everyone else seems to be saying they were rude and of no help. So I think im just going to bring it in store the next time I get down there. Hope I can get it fixed.

New User
SuzyWooDesigns
0 Kudos

Have had the same issue for months myself, and have grown weary of having to power down and reboot. Is especially embarrassing when you are trying to show someone the Nook Color and what it does, and suddenly nothing you do will make the screen change. No one in the store has any answer (when you CAN get someone over to the Nook booth that is!) other than calling Tech Support, which honestly needs at least five people on duty at all time who can comprehend and speak the English language. B&N does not seem to be owning up to this being a huge issue with the first generation of Nook Color e-readers. There were no less than four other people with the same issue in the store during the time I was there. :smileyfrustrated:

New User
jobie76
0 Kudos

I had the same problem, I recieved it for a Christmas present, worked fine for a few days, then it started freezing. It was a few times a day and drove me INSANE. I just tried holding down the power button a few times, then eventually it'd respond. I told my Mom of my problem, and she watched me use my Nook. Apparently I wasn't very patient with it and tried to get it to do like six things at once, she informed me it's software wasn't that good, and to use it more slowly. Just be patient when it's on, let it complete one task before you try to do another, mine doesn't freeze anymore.

Contributor
Payit4ward
0 Kudos

Had the same problem and after reading earlier chats regarding this issue found success.

1. Make sure nook is unplugged

2. Hold power switch down

3. Simultaneously hold down the "n" button for a count of 20

4. Nook will power off

Best of luck!

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Payit4ward wrote:

Had the same problem and after reading earlier chats regarding this issue found success.

1. Make sure nook is unplugged

2. Hold power switch down

3. Simultaneously hold down the "n" button for a count of 20

4. Nook will power off

Best of luck!

To power down, you just have to hold the power button for a few seconds. Holding the 'n' button simultaneous with power cycling is a factory reset sequence I think. You may not need to be that drastic.

Contributor
Payit4ward
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice, but my nook would not power down simply holding down the power button.  In fact it was totally unresponsive to the power button and any other button.  It remained switched on for 5 hours with no response to any action I took. I needed the more drastic sequence. This worked perfectly and the very first time I did it.