Contributor
thegreyelf
0 Kudos

NookColor Battery issues

So I've had my NookColor since Christmas--effectively 4 months.  Over the past month or two, I've noticed the battery is draining [i]really[/i] fast--I get less than 4 hours of use out of it, now, where I used to get 8. 

Also, when I plug it in to charge, it charges to 95% and just stops.  And THAT is down from a previous 99, then 98%. 

It's been plugged in for 4.5 hours now, charging from dead (l let it run all the way down, as this is generally advisable with Li-Ion batteries when having charging issues), and it's stopped at 95%.

Anyone else have this problem?  Any suggestions?  It's unacceptable for the battery on this $250 machine to start going bad after a mere 4 months, especially since I can't replace it myself.

Thanks.

The Grey Elf
http://wastedlandsfantasy.blogspot.com/
http://grey-elf.blogspot.com/
http://overpricedpopcorn.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
Gottaluvit
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor Battery issues

Yes, I just started having this problem .. as far as my NC reading the battery . I still get good reading time from it , in fact great reading time  .. but the battery would charge and reach 100% which basically always drops as soon as you disconnect the NC to 99% . Now it won't charge pass 97% , that tells me that something is not reading the battery correctly  . I am going to try to talk to CS and hopefully get someone who can really help me , My fear is that I too will start to see a decline in how many hours the battery last ... and yes I do understand how the NC has a safeguard for over charging .. but so do a lot of other products and they don't act this way . Hopefully I will get an answer soon or someone else on this  board has already gotten it and post it .

Contributor
jamiesuerich
0 Kudos

Yeah. Same issues for me too. Have had my NC since christmas also and now mine suddenly wont charge at all. When I'm trying to charge it it comes up with a red battery sign and says battery too low to power on wait 15 mins and try again. But it's been saying that for like a day now.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

thegreyelf wrote:

It's been plugged in for 4.5 hours now, charging from dead (l let it run all the way down, as this is generally advisable with Li-Ion batteries when having charging issues), and it's stopped at 95%.

It actually specifies in the documentation not to let it run all the way down.

I haven't noticed any change in the way mine hold a charge. I usually put it on the charger when the indicator goes red and leave it there overnight. It still goes to 99%.

Inspired Contributor
Gottaluvit
0 Kudos

I talk to CS and the way they handle a battery that is not charging or keeping its charge is .. to do a factory reset and then drain the battery and recharge it to see if it holds a charge .

I had to do this to mine last night . The charger light turned green at 96% , while I stayed on hold with CS waiting to see if it would charge more .. they came back on and it had not . They ordered another replacement . After getting off the phone with CS I checked and though the charger indicator light was green at 96% and had  not move for  twenty min .. to my surprise  it had then moved to 97% .So  I left it overnight even thought the charger light was green and this morning is was at 100% and is holding a charge so far .

I am going to monitor it as I have been to see if it continues to hold that charge and I get the regular amount of time out of mine that I am use to getting .

I was also told that there is suppose to be .. I repeat the word .. suppose .. to be an update for the battery that should correct issues and make it last longer while reading / wifi etc ..  but the reason B & N has not and is not saying anything is that there is not release date for this . I only recieved this tid bit after pushing about B&N not at least stating that they know of certain problems  . I wish they  would .. people may still be grumpy about a wait but at least we would know that they are aware of some issues .

I also have talked to several other techs over the last couple months about updates and all I know is that there is a lot to come for the nook color but it will be over a course of a year .. so I am guessing that patients is your best friend .

But back to the battery .. call CS and see what they can doif you are having trouble  .. if your nook color works fine in every other way but battery ,  then try a reset or they will send a replacement .. in my case they decided to send one but not sure that I will even open it if what I have now starts to work proper again ..

I do enjoy my NC very much so I am hoping that this all works out ..

Contributor
vcreecher
0 Kudos

I too am suddenly having battery issues. I charged my NC on Tuesday, removed from charger & checked FB for less than 5 minutes. Put NC to sleep and didn't use again until Wednesday night- about 24 hours later. When I woke up NC the battery had the red warning. Why is the battery suddenly doing a rapid discharge??
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

vcreecher wrote:
I too am suddenly having battery issues. I charged my NC on Tuesday, removed from charger & checked FB for less than 5 minutes. Put NC to sleep and didn't use again until Wednesday night- about 24 hours later. When I woke up NC the battery had the red warning. Why is the battery suddenly doing a rapid discharge??

Did you leave the WiFi on?  

---------
Don
Contributor
Pelican71
0 Kudos

We are having problems charging my daughters NOOKcolor.  It's 4 months old.  I reset it thinking that would help but didn't.  The charger will show green while its plugged in even though its not charged.  It also wont recognize the charger as being plugged in.  Even more weird is that when you completely shut down the Nook and plug in the charger, the light is red.  When you power it back up it shows as being charged by a small percentage. 

I'm going to leave it that way for an hour and see if I power it back up what percentage it will show.  I'm beginning to think there's a short in the cord.  The tip isn't bent so I'm unsure. 

Any advice?

Reading helps us develop empathy, imagination and a powerful vocabulary. That is why reading matters.
Correspondent
spymom6
0 Kudos

Take the NC color back to B&N. Really sounds like you have a bad charger or internal connector. My first NC did that-bought in Nov. 2010. I took it to B&N and they futsed with it for a while and realized it was the internal connector. Since it was the device that was the problem, the gave me a new NC. Not sure how they will handle it since it has been 4 mths, but definitely worth a try. 

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
0 Kudos

spymom6 wrote:

Since it was the device that was the problem, the gave me a new NC. Not sure how they will handle it since it has been 4 mths, but definitely worth a try. 

The 4 months shouldn't be a problem.  The Nooks are warranteed for a full year, and if the battery goes, they have to correct it.  Since they have no way to replace just the battery, they have to replace the whole unit.

Now at 12 months and 2 weeks, then it's your problem.  By then I expect there will be a battery replacement option.

- Mark

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

spymom6 wrote:

Since it was the device that was the problem, the gave me a new NC. Not sure how they will handle it since it has been 4 mths, but definitely worth a try. 

The 4 months shouldn't be a problem.  The Nooks are warranteed for a full year, and if the battery goes, they have to correct it.  Since they have no way to replace just the battery, they have to replace the whole unit. 

I could be mistaken, but I think spymom was referring more to the part in her story where B&N replaced it with a NIB NOOKColor, on the spot, in the store.  After four months, B&N may require OP to call customer service and get an RMA and follow their more standard replacement route.  The replacement may be either new or CPO. 

In any case, I agree B&N should (and will) replace this one, but it may not be on the spot, new in box.

Reader
rocklin
0 Kudos

having problem with my NC excepting a charge . at 23%, charge light stays green,but no charge progress. called tech support after much hassel and asking to speak to supervisor they said they'ed send me a new one. It's been almost 2 weeks even though they said 3-4 business days! I guess I forgot how to count :smileysad: 

Wordsmith
mariel9898

The NC has a lithium ion polymer battery which is different than most cells phones and laptops. Some tips to get the most out of your batter:

* Leave WiFi off unless you are downloading something or web surfing.

* The battery is best kept between 20% and 85% charged. Overcharging can diminish battery life. That is why it stops charging at around 97% or so.

* Do not drain the battery or you will experience diminished battery life. This is why the warning pops up at 20%.

* On the NC cable you will notice that the end that goes in the NC is longer than on standard USB cables. It has more prongs. The charging light goes to green before it hits 100% because there is some sort of mechanism in the proprietary cable that stops it from over charging. That is why you should only use the standard cable to charge your NC. In an emergency, you can use other cables but they trickle charge which basically means it takes hours to charge and the battery can be overcharged.

* If you are rooted consider getting a CPU managing app such as SetCPU. This allows you to overclock if you have the proper kernal, but if you used autonooter it allows you to set the set the CPU speed to 300ghz when the NC is idle or when battery is at a certain percentage or temperature.

So for best battery life:

* Keep it charged between 20% and 85%. Do not drain, do not overcharge.

* Use the charger it came with.

* Turn your NC completely off when not in use if you typically don't use it throughout the day.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

I found out what was wrong with my NC battery today. Actually, I found out that there was nothing wrong with my NC battery today :smileyhappy:

It was taking forever to charge - over 8 hours - and draining a lot faster than it should judging by what others say they are experiencing.

We have 2 phones and 2 Nooks, but one favored place to put our devices for charging. So I had bought a wall adapter that supports up to 4 USB chargers. And that was the problem.

I bought a new cable (last one in the store, apparently it's a popular item), used the wall plug that came with it, and everything is fine now.

So I would reccomend making sure you are using the wall plug that came with your NC, not some fancy French plug :smileyhappy: or the one that came with your Blackberry or Nook Classic.

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

mariel9898 wrote:

* On the NC cable you will notice that the end that goes in the NC is longer than on standard USB cables. It has more prongs. The charging light goes to green before it hits 100% because there is some sort of mechanism in the proprietary cable that stops it from over charging. That is why you should only use the standard cable to charge your NC. In an emergency, you can use other cables but they trickle charge which basically means it takes hours to charge and the battery can be overcharged.

The standard charger lights up the green light on the cable, but the charging stops because of circuitry in the NC. I have a non-factory charger that charges to the same level as the factory one, except no green light. Lower output chargers can't hurt the battery, they just take longer.

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Reader 2
bookgirl209
0 Kudos

I have had my nook for 1 month . The past week my nook color has only been  charging to 95% and the green N on my cord will be on?:womansad:

Reader 2
Archer8852

Hi All

Have had my NC since June 2011 and I'm on my THIRD one.  First one 'got wonky' - they replaced it with a refurbished unit - also wonky - then in August they replaced it with another brand NEW unit - I (STILL) love it, cust service was excellent and all is well--- EXCEPT the extraordinary battery drain- which, just lately, had been getting worse and WORSE.   Now I am thinking, it has to be ME--how can ALLLLL of these NC's be doing this same thing? No matter what I was doing to baby it and conserve the battery (all the usual things about keeping brightness low, turn off WIFI yada yada yada), INCLUDING completely shutting it down, nothing helped. I would charge it over night for example, up to 100% but by mid-morning without having used it at all, I would get an error message that said that there wasn't enough power left to (even) turn it on - try again after 15 minutes of charge. Note: the unit felt warm. Not overly warm but ...well.. warm.  This happened on my other two units also - until each one completely became unusable over time.. To cut to the chase : I believe it's the various COVERS. Has this happened to anyone else?  I have a beautiful Oberon leather cover but having tested  the NC with the cover completely off 100% of the time, the NC now charges quickly but I rarely have to charge it anymore! It now drains very slowly, normally, EVEN with the WIFI ON. It's incredible! Kind of depressing tho since I feel the unit is no longer protected and I LOVED the leather cover...  A friend decided to put her cover to the test also after hearing my story. Same thing. Without her cover her battery NOW holds a charge for a very long time - rarely needs re-charging.  Unlike my very heavy leather cover, she had just a normal B & N book type cover.  My daughter fares a little better because her cover is the B & N easel type which only covers the top edge, leaving the surrounding edges of the unit free.  Is there something to this, do you think? It was so remarkable especially after owning 3 different units, to find this out, that I had to share it. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I think that's a really interesting observation, and I hope other folks can take a run at looking at it.

My case is one I made myself, and I have not noticed an issue along these lines.

In my case, the back of the NC rests against canvas, which does not notably trap heat.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,314
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have not seen this problem, but I did have a leather B&N cover for a breif period.  I returned it overnight, because it touched the surface of the Nook's touch screen.  That created two issues for me:

• After a period of use of the Nook, there is finger oil that gets transferred to the surface of the screen.  When there is only a moderate amount of finger oil, it's pretty much unnoticable, UNLESS there's some sort of pattern in the oil.  Well, the leather cover created an annoying pattern in the finger oil (OK, so I'm picky).
  • The possibiility that grit or dirt might get on the cover and/or screen, and the motion of the two would scratch the screen.

Now, I did not consider the possiblity that the cover contacting the screen could be misinterpreted by the hardware as finger actions, which might activate the software to do something.

Who know is this was your problem.  It's just a thought.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Correspondent
Nookycooky
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing the info re big thick covers. Makes sense and I will not use a cover for a while and see if my battery drains slower. Now I've got to stop tripping and spilling coffee and dropping things.......

All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....