New User
cellzo
0 Kudos

NookColor Won't Connect to my Computer

Hi there, guys.

With the new update, I wanted to manually install. So I went to the BN site and looked up the instructions. All is fine and well, but when I connect my NC to my computer using the USB, nothing happens. I'd say this would just be the USB malfunctioning, but when plugged into an outlet it charges fine, and the light indicating that the NC would be charging is orange. However, the NC is saying it's not connected to anything and it's not charging, despite the light being on, and my computer isn't recognizing anything being plugged in.

Help?

Inspired Contributor
nookc
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor Won't Connect to my Computer

The nc has to either be on when you connect it or you have to turn it on (wake it up and slide the slider) after you connect the USB cable. Both work but it does not work when the nook is asleep or off. 

Keep the rubber side down!
New User
cellzo
0 Kudos

It's on and unlocked. It still won't connect. Nothing happens.

New User
gyount
0 Kudos

Mine is doing the exact same thing! Have you found an answer? I'm on hold with tech support

Reader 2
hippycampr
0 Kudos

Count me in with not connecting to the computer, has anyone had a solution?

Reader 2
EW_Nook
0 Kudos

Same thing happened to me after I was able to re-register my NC. I rebooted my computer and everything connected fine again and I was able to transfer my books from my PC to the NC again.

New User
Kelli_Hanson
0 Kudos

Re: Nicolle Won't Connect to my Computer

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!

Mine just happened to do that to me tonight and I looked on this B&N Community post.  But what you have to do is to "Erase and Deregister Device".  Sense you have a B&N account, just re-download books on the actually device and when you connect to the computer, both will make a notification sound and will connect.  No harm done or lost.  It takes less than 5 minutes!

Kelli

Reader 2
AzLisa
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem with a MacLaptop. I just posted about this.

I don't understand your directions though to erase and de-register ? Where do you do this ??   Can you please give simple instructions ?  I would appreciate it!!

Lisa

Contributor
div2
0 Kudos

Mine won't connect to anything- wi-fi, my home PC or laptops. I've wasted over three hours with it. Back to B&N it goes.

New User
Blue_Bear
0 Kudos

i dont understand wut u mean by deregister

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

You remove the link to your B&N account and you Nook device.

Contributor
Kel-i
0 Kudos

In me desktop PC, I have USB ports in the back and also some located in the front for easy access.

My Nook Color will only be recognized if I plug the USB into one of the ports in the back.  So for those of you working on a desktop PC, you may want to try this if you have multiple USB port locations.  I have not had any problems on my laptop.  All the USB ports work here.

New User
Miss__Mandy
0 Kudos

I'm having this same problem. :smileysad: Glad to see it's not just me at least! Hope BN/some one can figure this out soon. I'm excited for this update!

Contributor
Escape_in_a_book
0 Kudos

AzLisa wrote:

I am having the same problem with a MacLaptop. I just posted about this.

I don't understand your directions though to erase and de-register ? Where do you do this ??   Can you please give simple instructions ?  I would appreciate it!!

Lisa

Here's how you de-register your Nook (just a fair warning you will lose all your preferences, any sideloaded content like music or pictures and any shelves you created)

Go to Settings > Device Info > Erase & Deregister Device...then you confirm that decision. Your Nook will probably shutdown and restart and then you'll just go through the registration process you did the first name where you enter your BN.com account information.

Escape_in_a_book
New User
phillymktgwiz
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Won't Connect to my Computer

That didn't work for me. I erased everything I had stored and the laptop still won't recognize the Nook.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Won't Connect to my Computer

Do you have a Nook Color? Just confirming since sometimes people post in the wrong forum.

What OS do you have on the laptop?

When you turn on Nook color, make sure screen is AWAKE, and then plug it into PC using USB - what happens?

Do you get a message on screen of Nook Color saying 'USB connected' or something to that effect?

What happens when you try another USB port? Another USB Cable?

New User
3boys4meJS

It could be that the USB cord is not good, mine still charges through plug or on the computer but I had to squeeze the connection at the nook and hold the cord where it connects to the little orange nook light thing and then it made the connection to the computer.  I had to hold it there while I downloaded a book and as soon as I removed my hand from the cord it disconnected.   I had tried the re-registering and everything but it did not work only holding the cord connection caused my computer to see the nook.  Good luck.

New User
Tlewis0830
0 Kudos

I tried your solution and it didn't work for me :smileysad: