New User
BeckyB711
0 Kudos

NookColor kills wireless Keyboard/Mouse

On our desktop computer we have a Microsoft Comfort Keyboard 5000 (*with mouse*) that is a wireless set. I went to plug my NookColor in the other day to download some books and my mouse and keyboard stopped functioning. We reset the Nook, the computer, replaced batteries in the keyboard and mouse to no avail. Upon checking the wireless USB transmitter for the keyboard set, it was extremely hot. Figuring the transmitter had malfunctioned, I requested a replacement from Microsoft.

We just received our second keyboard/mouse set, plugged it in and it worked fine. I plugged the Nook back in to the computer and it fried the transmitter again. I don't know if this issue is known, but we called customer support to get some help. The support technician notified us that the wifi works on 2.4 GHz, which just so happens to be the same as the wireless set. He told us that we should turn the Nook's wifi off before connecting it to our CPU because two devices in the same frequency cannot be within close proximity. The user guide on the NookColor has no reference to this problem.

The USB ports on the CPU still work correctly, so the issue of it malfunctioning is not a concern. Has anyone else seen/had this issue? I will be trying to get a 3rd keyboard set now, but I'm extremely worried about trying to plug my Nook back in with the new keyboard set.

Any help/support on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor kills wireless Keyboard/Mouse

Never heard of that issue before, but there is no need to have your NOOK's WIFI on when you have it plugged in to your PC. I take it the only reason you are plugging it in is to side-load books. I would think that putting your NOOK into Airplane mode before you plug it in to your PC will be safe for your wireless keyboard/mouse.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

BeckyB711 wrote:

On our desktop computer we have a Microsoft Comfort Keyboard 5000 (*with mouse*) that is a wireless set. I went to plug my NookColor in the other day to download some books and my mouse and keyboard stopped functioning. We reset the Nook, the computer, replaced batteries in the keyboard and mouse to no avail. Upon checking the wireless USB transmitter for the keyboard set, it was extremely hot. Figuring the transmitter had malfunctioned, I requested a replacement from Microsoft.

We just received our second keyboard/mouse set, plugged it in and it worked fine. I plugged the Nook back in to the computer and it fried the transmitter again. I don't know if this issue is known, but we called customer support to get some help. The support technician notified us that the wifi works on 2.4 GHz, which just so happens to be the same as the wireless set. He told us that we should turn the Nook's wifi off before connecting it to our CPU because two devices in the same frequency cannot be within close proximity. The user guide on the NookColor has no reference to this problem.

The USB ports on the CPU still work correctly, so the issue of it malfunctioning is not a concern. Has anyone else seen/had this issue? I will be trying to get a 3rd keyboard set now, but I'm extremely worried about trying to plug my Nook back in with the new keyboard set.

I had a similar problem with the Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse conflicting with the display power saver options and screen saver.  If I remember correctly, it was some type of driver conflict.  I never did find a reasonable solution to it.  I wasn't real happy with the keyboard and mouse anyway, so I returned it.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

I don't know if that is the wireless or not.

I had a similar issue with a NookColor that I bought from a local BN. It had a defective USB adapter on it causing the NC to be recognized and not recognized if you touched it while plugged into the computer.  It was killing all my USB ports when plugged in.  I had to reboot after ejecting the NC to get the ports back each time. 

I took the NC back and bought another one at a different retailer and that one has worked fine so far.  No dead USB ports. And the connector is fine.

Exchange it and see if the new one kills your mouse and keyboard.

Good luck.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BeckyB711 wrote:

WiFi and bluetooth (which is what Microsoft's and other's wireless devices work with) are in the 2.4Ghz RANGE, but on totally differnt freqauencies (channels).    And even if they were on the exact same frequency......which they're not.....having them close to each other would NOT burn out the receiver in one or the other.  

I use a wireless keyboard (from HP) and a wireless mouse (from Logitech) on my laptop, both use frequencies in the 2.4GHz range and they work FINE in conjunction with each other, and when my NC is plugged in and sitting a few inches away from the 2 separate receivers.    And yes, with the WiFi on in the NC.

---------
Don
Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't buy tech support's explanation.  That just doesn't seem reasonable or possible for one wireless device to fry another just because they're in the same frequency and in close proximity.  Otherwise everybody would be shorting out everything in their house all the time. Microwaves, cordless phones (if people still use those things), bluetooth devices, baby monitors and even car alarms operate in the 2.4 GHz range.  They can cause interference with each other, but fry each other's transmitters?  I'm definitely not an expert, but if there were a skeptical smiley, I'd put it right here. 

I currently use a wireless headset, wireless mouse, two wireless keyboards and a wireless media controller.  Not to mention my laptop and its wireless mouse that sits on my desk.  Some of them are bluetooth and some of them are are not.  I never turn off my wifi on my NC cuz it's a pain in my booty and I'm not confident that I could ever get it back on. 

My only theory is that the cable of the NC is the culprit and is causing damage to the actual USB ports on your computer, which is as a result frying your transmitter.