Reply
Contributor
Capcom
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎11-03-2010
0 Kudos

NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

Just curious, but why is there one cable for NookColor and one for Nook 3G/WiFi included in the Car charging kit if both use the MicroUSB plug?  Are the pinouts of each cable different, and what, if any, damage might result from mixing up the cables?  Are the devices protected from this occurence?

Correspondent
g0tr00t
Posts: 122
Registered: ‎11-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

Interesting....if its anything like my Samsung phone (Android), if I use a "samsung charging cable" and use the the touch screen, its fine.  If I use a knock-off brand charger, I cannot use it while its plugged in.  The touch screen does not repsond and when it does respond it goes haywire(blinking, scrolling, etc...).

 

 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
Posts: 2,466
Registered: ‎03-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

@Capcom,

The NOOKcolor comes with a wall adapter charger designed for fast charging that will charge your NOOKcolor to 80% in 2 hours, and fully charge your NOOKcolor in 4-5 hours. If you operate your NOOKcolor while charging, then the charging process will take longer (depending on activity).

 When connected to a PC or Mac via a USB cable, NOOKcolor can charge but at a much slower rate and only if the device is not in use. Otherwise using the device will actually consume more power that it receives from the USB cable. 

 NOTE: We do not recommend using any other wall adapter charger including the original NOOK charger.

NOOKcolor has a custom connector that is compatible with usb connectivity.

While the NOOKcolor connector may appear the same as a microUSB connector, the connector is slightly longer supporting a second set of pins dedicated for charging at a higher rate for a higher capacity battery (when compared to Nook and other mobile devices). As a result the NOOKcolor connector will NOT work in other typical microUSB ports.

However you can use a microUSB connector on the NOOKcolor to sync data from a PC/MAC, but not for the fast charging provided by your dedicated NOOKcolor cable.

One more thing – the NOOKcolor cable should ONLY be used with the provided NOOKcolor AC adaptor. 

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
Posts: 1,064
Registered: ‎04-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?


Michael-V wrote:

@Capcom,

The NOOKcolor comes with a wall adapter charger designed for fast charging that will charge your NOOKcolor to 80% in 2 hours, and fully charge your NOOKcolor in 4-5 hours. If you operate your NOOKcolor while charging, then the charging process will take longer (depending on activity).

 When connected to a PC or Mac via a USB cable, NOOKcolor can charge but at a much slower rate and only if the device is not in use. Otherwise using the device will actually consume more power that it receives from the USB cable. 

 NOTE: We do not recommend using any other wall adapter charger including the original NOOK charger.

NOOKcolor has a custom connector that is compatible with usb connectivity.

While the NOOKcolor connector may appear the same as a microUSB connector, the connector is slightly longer supporting a second set of pins dedicated for charging at a higher rate for a higher capacity battery (when compared to Nook and other mobile devices). As a result the NOOKcolor connector will NOT work in other typical microUSB ports.

However you can use a microUSB connector on the NOOKcolor to sync data from a PC/MAC, but not for the fast charging provided by your dedicated NOOKcolor cable.

One more thing – the NOOKcolor cable should ONLY be used with the provided NOOKcolor AC adaptor. 


The part I highlighted above...tells me that the NOOKcolor draws more than 500ma (1/2 amp) at 5v when in use, since that is the standard max power draw for a USB device.     That is NOT a problem (to me) but implies a need for a fairly hefty battery in order to get 8 hours of use.  

 

8hrs times 500ma = 4,000maH battery....that's about twice the size of an extended power cell phione battery...and since we know from your statement that 500ma isn't enough to power the NOOKcolor....that means the battery is larger?

 

So what is the maH rating of the NOOKcolor battery?

 

I'm just curious....my purchase decision has been made since the 27th when I placed my pre-order with B&N and I'm not going to cancel it for any reason.

 

 

---------
Don
Contributor
dirtygreek
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

[ Edited ]

The official FAQs actually say you can NOT charge through a usb port at all, implying that you MUST use the fast-charger that it comes with.  This is a drawback for me, though I'll deal with it. It's possible they just say this to force you into buying their chargers for $25, but...

The official FAQs actually say you can NOT charge through a usb port at all, implying that you MUST use the fast-charger that it comes with.  This is a drawback for me, though I'll deal with it. It's possible they just say this to force you into buying their chargers for $25, but...

 

 

"No. You cannot charge your NOOKcolor while connected to your computer. You must charge your NOOKcolor from a wall outlet using the NOOKcolor power adapter and USB cable."

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
Posts: 756
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

Michael-V's answer indicates that you can charge, slowly, from the computer's USB plug. As a comparison, the Archos 70, a somewhat similar 7" screen tablet product using the same processor core as the Nook Color, comes with a 2A (2000mA) 5V wall charger and cannot charge from the USB port.

Moderator
Nook_Engineer
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎06-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

Michael's answer is correct *if* the device is asleep.  When the screen is active, it draws more power than the USB is able to provide.  Plugging into USB will cause the battery to drain less slowly.

 

If the screen is inactive (and it's not playing music or Pandora), then the device will charge *slowly*.

 

-Jeffrey

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
Posts: 1,064
Registered: ‎04-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?


donc13 wrote:

Michael-V wrote:

@Capcom,

The NOOKcolor comes with a wall adapter charger designed for fast charging that will charge your NOOKcolor to 80% in 2 hours, and fully charge your NOOKcolor in 4-5 hours. If you operate your NOOKcolor while charging, then the charging process will take longer (depending on activity).

 When connected to a PC or Mac via a USB cable, NOOKcolor can charge but at a much slower rate and only if the device is not in use. Otherwise using the device will actually consume more power that it receives from the USB cable. 

 NOTE: We do not recommend using any other wall adapter charger including the original NOOK charger.

NOOKcolor has a custom connector that is compatible with usb connectivity.

While the NOOKcolor connector may appear the same as a microUSB connector, the connector is slightly longer supporting a second set of pins dedicated for charging at a higher rate for a higher capacity battery (when compared to Nook and other mobile devices). As a result the NOOKcolor connector will NOT work in other typical microUSB ports.

However you can use a microUSB connector on the NOOKcolor to sync data from a PC/MAC, but not for the fast charging provided by your dedicated NOOKcolor cable.

One more thing – the NOOKcolor cable should ONLY be used with the provided NOOKcolor AC adaptor. 


The part I highlighted above...tells me that the NOOKcolor draws more than 500ma (1/2 amp) at 5v when in use, since that is the standard max power draw for a USB device.     That is NOT a problem (to me) but implies a need for a fairly hefty battery in order to get 8 hours of use.  

 

8hrs times 500ma = 4,000maH battery....that's about twice the size of an extended power cell phione battery...and since we know from your statement that 500ma isn't enough to power the NOOKcolor....that means the battery is larger?

 

So what is the maH rating of the NOOKcolor battery?

 

I'm just curious....my purchase decision has been made since the 27th when I placed my pre-order with B&N and I'm not going to cancel it for any reason.

 

 


Saw the zdnet 'take apart' photos today....answered my question....3.7v 4000mAh Lithium Polymer just as I guessed.

 

 

---------
Don
New User
yegnal
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

Can I buy an additional cable ?   I don't see that it's available on the BN site...

Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
Posts: 142
Registered: ‎08-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

[NOOKcolor Accessories][Essentials] on the B&N web site.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
Posts: 756
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

 


yegnal wrote:

Can I buy an additional cable ?   I don't see that it's available on the BN site...


I don't believe just the special cable is sufficient to fast-charge the NC, even from a source capable of supplying more thatn 500mA. I believe the connection, at the other end of the cable, to the B&N Nook Color charger is also special.

 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

I just tried an experiment...I plugged my NC into my computer's USB port, but didn't go into USB mode (didn't pull the slider over).  Battery was at 94%.

 

An hour later I checked on it, and the connector had turned green and the battery is at 99% (I don't believe it ever displays "100%").  So, a standard USB port will charge the NC, it just takes some time. 

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
Posts: 756
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

An hour for a 5% charge would be difficult charge speed to live with on a regular basis. Yes it will charge slowly from normal USB, but the supplied charger is clearly the way to go until someone makes a genuine 3rd party solution with a cable that is pin-compatible to what B&N supplies.

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
Posts: 225
Registered: ‎01-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

sorry to sidetrack a somewhat technical conversation, but I had a semi typical question as the OP. 

 

I have both a 3G/Wifi Nook and a NookColor.  I've misplaced my Nook 3G cable, but still have the wall unit.  Can I use the black NookColor cable with the original Nook 3G wall unit?  I know your not suppose to use anything other than the provided wall unit for reasons you guys are discussing, but the cable shouldn't matter, correct?

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
Posts: 756
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

Because the original NC cable is special (the microUSB connector is longer and has extra pins), I wouldn't use it for anything other then the NC. Any other standard USB A male to microUSB male cable should work fine. I must have 10 or 20 of those around here from various other computer stuff and gadgets I couldn't resist.:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
Posts: 225
Registered: ‎01-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

But the original Nook 3G/Wifi has the same shape connector as the NookColor, a microUSB male end does not fit into it.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
Posts: 756
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

The Nook Classic and the Nook Color have (externally) the same shape microUSB female connector, but the Nook Color connector is different. It has additional contact points for the special male microUSB connector on the cable from B&N.

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
Posts: 178
Registered: ‎10-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

I have a "sorta kinda but not really" associated question.  Is there a difference between the wall plug that the USB cable plugs in to for the NC and any other USB wall plug.  I want to use my USB cable that came with the NC but be able to plug it in to the wall plug for either a digital camera or my iPhone.  I don't want to use another microUSB cord, just the wall plug that the USB plugs in to.  Will this hurt my NC or should I just stick with the wall plug that came with my Nook?

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
Posts: 756
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

Yes, it is different, at-least because it supplies up to 1900mA to the NC. The standard maximum charging current via USB is 500mA. It may be that any charger will work, but much more slowly. It might also be that another charger that can supply a similar amount of current would work as well as the original. No one has tried this to my knowledge.

Correspondent
ps56k
Posts: 658
Registered: ‎10-24-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor vs. Nook charging cables?

The micro-USB end is different in that it appears to be longer and have a 2nd row of pins. The USB end for the AC adapter appears to be normal - again, this is the cable. As has been noted the actual AC adapter supplies more avail current than the normal USB port which is usually limited to 5v @ 500ma... The Nook Color AC adapter, if you look closely you can read the tiny print on it - is rated at 5v @ 1.9A (1900ma)