Contributor
M_Lo
0 Kudos

NookColor will not connect to home Wifi keeps saying "password is incorrect"when I am positive it is

Hello, I got this wonderful gift for Christmas as well and I am so sad I am unable to connect to my Wifi at home. I went to the actual B&N store yesterday and was able to register it and all that and I have tried everything on these message boards, but it seems like my problem is a little different so I wanted to post the detials in case anyone else is having similar difficulties. My NC finds my home network and asks for the password, but then when I type it in it says it is incorrect. I have double checked all the letters to make sure it is right before bothering to post this. I also have 2 wireless laptops and a PS3 all working fine off this network. I have a Linksys WRT54GS Router and I am fairly computer savvy so I did try the mac filtering and all that to no avail. I really love this Nook and have wanted one ever since I first saw them and I really realy want to use it!! Can someone please shed some light on this issue or offer some new suggestions? Otherwise I will have to return it :smileysad:

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor will not connect to home Wifi keeps saying "password is incorrect"when I am

M_Lo wrote:

Hello, I got this wonderful gift for Christmas as well and I am so sad I am unable to connect to my Wifi at home. I went to the actual B&N store yesterday and was able to register it and all that and I have tried everything on these message boards, but it seems like my problem is a little different so I wanted to post the detials in case anyone else is having similar difficulties. My NC finds my home network and asks for the password, but then when I type it in it says it is incorrect. I have double checked all the letters to make sure it is right before bothering to post this. I also have 2 wireless laptops and a PS3 all working fine off this network. I have a Linksys WRT54GS Router and I am fairly computer savvy so I did try the mac filtering and all that to no avail. I really love this Nook and have wanted one ever since I first saw them and I really realy want to use it!! Can someone please shed some light on this issue or offer some new suggestions? Otherwise I will have to return it :smileysad:

I would try:

1. Rebooting the router and see if the nook connects.

2. Not sure about the NookColor but the nook classic will not connect to a wi-fi network that has "Authentication Type" set to "shared key" - it must be "open".  Worth a try . . .

Hopefully one of the above will help . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor will not connect to home Wifi keeps saying "password is incorrect"when I am

M_Lo wrote:

Your network key MUST be in the proper case...upper/lower case.

---------
Don
Contributor
M_Lo
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I am positive I entered the password correctly as I have done it several time for both of my laptops and the PS3, and I lost power earlier today due to the storm so my router and my whole network rebooted. Still no luck with the Wifi. :smileysad: I bought a book on B&N.com and got it onto my NookColor in the backwards way as I was also unable to sync it normally. Looks like I might be doing it this way for now, till the Customer Service people catch up with this demand at least. Any one know how to get the book I just transfered by cutting and pasting to show up in my library?

Thank you for reading and for the suggestions!

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Just a thought,  I have read where some of the older Routers would not connect, something with the settings.  I have a newer version of the Linksys and I use WPA/WPA2 and after putting in the security key the Nook Color connects without an issue.   Sounds like you have some settings issue with your setup.

Not sure what you mean by backwards way.  If you mean sideload then you need to use ADE and sideload it that way.  You can not cut and paste into the nook.  Usually Nooks will dl directly to itself from B&N and I though you said you had bought it while at B&N the other day.

Contributor
M_Lo
0 Kudos

After two days of trying I finally got it to work!!! I had to re-configure my network, not only change to Open on the authentication, but also changed it to WEP from WPA-Personal. Now it seems to be working and all my books popped up in my library!!!

Now I just have to reconfigure both my computers and the Playstation! If anyone out there is reading this looking for help, I have a Linksys WRT54GS Router, I went into the router via the internet (Enter the 192.168.1.1 into my web browser) and under the Wireless and then Wireless Security changed from WPA to WEP, set the password and wrote it down. Restarted my nookcolor, forgot the network and then searched for it again and entered the new passcode. I think the NookColor doesn't work with WPA networks. I hope someone else out there finds this information helpful!! Enjoy your Christmas Gifts everyone! If you'll excuse me, I have some reading to do! :smileyhappy:

Thanks for all your help message board people!!

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have a similar, if not the same, router (Linksys WRT54Gx) and use WPA2-Personal (AES). My Nook Color has no problems connecting to it. Did you try updating the firmware on your router?

And just FYI, WEP is useless. It can be cracked in under a minute with widely available programs/scripts on the Internet. An attacker doesn't even need to know what they're doing.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Weird.  I have an old Linksys WRT54G router and I use WPA PSK TKIP just fine.  Connected first time and every time since. Go figure.

Contributor
M_Lo
0 Kudos

I didn't try updating the firmware, I will do that. I didn't know that WEP was so unsafe! I turned on MAC filtering and added only my devices... Does that make it any safer? I will try updating the router when I get home from work. Thank you for this information!

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Before you look into the firmware update, try turning off Speedbooster (Afterburner) in the advanced wireless settings. Also, you should make sure the "Wireless SSID Broadcast" option is enabled on your router, as I believe I read on this forum that it can cause connection issues with the Nook Color (it offers no security to hide it, anyway).

As far as MAC filtering, like hiding your SSID, it's utterly useless for security. The problem is, MAC addresses aren't ever encrypted, so anyone sniffing your traffic (i.e.; anyone who's taking the trouble to crack your network) will already have access to connected MACs. And changing the MAC address of an NIC is absolutely trivial in any OS, so it's no effort for an attacker to spoof one of your own devices.

As far as WEP, the algorithm it uses to generate its keys is inherently flawed, so that's why WEP is so easy to crack. Still, it wouldn't be so bad if there weren't detailed step-by-step instructions, Youtube vids, and readily available tools littering the Internet, but using these resources, even a complete novice with an hour's-worth of time can break into their neighbor's WEP-secured network.

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

As the NOOKcolor is a non-computer and non-phone device, you may need to change some settings on your internet managed routers.

1. Make sure your DCHP SSL is ENABLED

2. Make sure your Block Anonymous Requests is DISABLED

3. Make sure your Pass Phrase Security is OPEN and not Shared

This will not effect your internet or router security settings, it just allows for your router to recognize there is an alternate device attempting to connect to it.

I hope this helps!

Molly - CRM2723
Contributor
M_Lo
0 Kudos

Molly - Should I try this with the router set to WEP Security or WPA-Personal?

Thank you!

Contributor
RavynWilde
0 Kudos

Molly, thanks so much for this. My wifi worked fine when I got the Nookcolor, today I went to the Barnes and Noble store and logged on really easy, the problem came when I got home from the store. Now I couldn't log on my home wifi no matter what I did.

I got on the browser, logged into my router setting, and changed everything as you suggested. One, my router time was incorrect, and two the block anonymous requests was enabled. As soon as I changed these two settings, it worked just fine.

Thanks,

New User
Aussie4710
0 Kudos

Where do you get the password required to connect to wifi?

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Aussie4710 wrote:

Where do you get the password required to connect to wifi?

If it's your WIFI  and you don't know the security password you need to logon to your router using the ADMIN user and password - go to the link for security and you will see your security password - also called a paraphrase.

If it's not your WIFI - like at a frinds house you need to get it from them.