Contributor
Nan45
0 Kudos

Nookcolor and Home WiFi

I just purchased a NookColor yesterday after initially purchasing the original Nook.  The original Nook I found to be sub-par compared to the NookColor. Anyway, I didn't have any problems connecting my Nook to my home WIFI network.  However, upon purchasing the NookColor, I cannot successfully connect to my WIFI with the NookColor.  The connection goes in and out.  Due to this I had problems even trying to register the device using my home WIFI.  I have a Netgear Router/Modem N-150.  I called B&N Customer Service and of course the Rep walked me through a few basic troubleshooting steps, which finally allowed to me to at least register the device.  However, continuous connection is still a problem.  All of my other wireless devices connect just fine to my home WIFI (desktop computer, 2 laptops, 2 iPhones and my Wireless HP Printer).  

I have a VirginMobile MiFI card, which seems to connect just fine to the NookColor.  Not sure what the problem is with a Netgear Router/Modem.  However, from reading other internet post, I see many, many, many people have the same issue with their home WIFI.  It doesn't make sense to me why the original Nook would connect just fine but not the NookColor to my home WIFI.  

What gives and I certainly hope that B&N Tech Services will be addressing this issue soon with a software update.

Frequent Contributor
jermandpep
0 Kudos

Re: Nookcolor and Home WiFi

If tech support didn't have you do it, I would double check the software version.  

I was told by tech support that v 1.0.0 had issues with wireless connectivity, so that could be your problem.

Contributor
Nan45
0 Kudos

My software is 1.0.1.  Although there is suppose to be a new software available 1.1.0, which is suppose to fix the wifi connectivity issues.  However, I'm unable to download the software.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You can download the upgrade from the BN website to your computer then sideload it to the Nook. There are instructions on the download web page.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-support-software-update/379002520/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&c...

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats

[ Edited ]

You can also do what I do.

Visit BN and while having a cup of coffee and a biscotti, the NC automatically updates.

Much easier and fun.

Nook Color Wallpapers
New User
UnknownFactor
0 Kudos

Connect an external WiFi antenna for Nook Color?

I don't have a router. My son lives across the street from me and he has NetGear WiFi connection. I can't pick up his signal from my desk. He is about 150 feet away, and lives in a metal mobile home, and I in a brick home. We get a very week, usually unusable signal from him from my desk, but outside, in the front yard I can get his signal but it is often too cold out there to be comfortable. Is there a way, is it possible to somehow connect and external WiFi antenna to my Nook Color? What do I need to do that with? is there a Nook Color to standard USB adapter? I see that there are many WiFi antennas available, but I have'nt seen any info on what kind of connections they have. An antenna mounted on the roof of a car could be handy, making it possible to use the Nook Color in the car in a parking spot near a hot spot.

Contributor
GonzoTheNose
0 Kudos

Re: Connect an external WiFi antenna for Nook Color?

Buy a wifi-repeater and place it outside in the yard. Thus you should be able to get a clear useable signal. There is no need to connect an antenna to the nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Connect an external WiFi antenna for Nook Color?

UnknownFactor wrote:

I don't have a router. My son lives across the street from me and he has NetGear WiFi connection. I can't pick up his signal from my desk. He is about 150 feet away, and lives in a metal mobile home, and I in a brick home. We get a very week, usually unusable signal from him from my desk, but outside, in the front yard I can get his signal but it is often too cold out there to be comfortable. Is there a way, is it possible to somehow connect and external WiFi antenna to my Nook Color? What do I need to do that with? is there a Nook Color to standard USB adapter? I see that there are many WiFi antennas available, but I have'nt seen any info on what kind of connections they have. An antenna mounted on the roof of a car could be handy, making it possible to use the Nook Color in the car in a parking spot near a hot spot.

There is NO provision on the Nook or Nook Color for an external antenna.

Your son could put an external antenna on his WiFi and put it near a window, or some such, or as someone else reccomended, get a WiFi repeater...atthough they're not intended for use outside...and try that.

You don't NEED WiFi to read books, only to browse the web and/or download books.   once you have the book, you're actually better off turning hte WiFi off to save battery life.

---------
Don